01Try a Tunic Top
Fortunately for fans of the gym, many brands are now making flowy, lightweight, tunic-like tops that function as workout wear but look nice outside of the gym, too. Consider options from prAna, Athleta, lululemon, or Lucy, where you will be able to find high-tech, breathable options that can transition into a business casual environment.
While in a workplace setting, it’s important to avoid spandex, flashy prints or neon colors, or anything sheer, low cut or too tight. Even if these styles might be trendy in athletic wear that’s geared to bring you from the gym to the street, remember you’re still at work, so you’ll want to look the part.
02Look Polished in Prints
When you’re shopping for pants that you can rock in your yoga, barre or spin class but will work in a professional setting, too, keep an eye out for prints that mimic traditional work pants.
Accordingly, when you’re shopping for pants, avoid anything wild (like tribal, psychedelic, or animal prints) and instead opt for a more tailored look. For example, herringbone or tweed are two great options.
03Throw On a Casual Blazer
An easy way to dress up your exercise outfit is to throw on a casual blazer. Of course, after gym time, you probably aren’t going to want to wear your business best. A good alternative is a comfortable blazer that’s breathable, stretchy, and won’t feel suffocating before, during or after your workout.
Consider Betabrand’s Work-it blazer, which is made out of a performance knit blend and designed to be more comfortable, wrinkle-free, and relaxed than its dressier counterparts.
04Dress It Up with Detail
For a more refined look, consider pieces with unique details to add a classy touch. Details like a cowl neck, ruching, asymmetrical hemline, interesting seaming or structure, as seen in the Athleta clothing shown above, will dress up your look without sacrificing fit or function.
05Wear Your Yoga Pants Straight to Work
From yoga class to job interview, pilates to office meeting? Thanks to Betabrand, it's now possible. Check out Betabrand's selection of Dress Pant Yoga Pants, available in both flare and skinny styles. Betabrand's pants are cut out of soft and stretchy performance knit that moves with you, while still retaining a dressy, tailored look.
06Look Sleek in Fitted Long Sleeves
Another nice style is a sleek long sleeve shirt or fitted sweatshirt. Look for fabrics that will perform well during your workout - like french terry, lightweight knits, or a wicking Polyester/Spandex blend - but will also look a little more refined than the average cotton top.
07Where to Shop
Ready to buy? Check out these select brands for your best bets in gym clothing that you can wear to work.
- Betabrand is a good choice for great yoga-to-work pants and casual but office-appropriate tops and blazers.
- Check out lululemon for urban, stylish layering pieces, comfortable dresses and skirts, and sleek fitted shirts and hoodies.
- Athleta is a good source for tunic tops, and a varied selection of pants that will work both in the gym and in the meeting room.
- Try prAna for pretty, high-performance blouses, breezy sweaters and hoodies to take you from your yoga class to the office, and high-quality tanks suitable for layering under a casual blazer.
- Lucy has a nice selection of tops that you could easily wear in a business casual environment.
- Shopping on a budget? Try Fabletics for low-cost, high-quality yoga wear. And, don't forget that more affordable stores like Target, Old Navy, Kohl's, T.J. Maxx and Marshall's also carry a wide range of workout clothing that you can wear to work.
Workout Clothes You Can Wear to Work
Can you really wear your workout gear to the office? Yes, you can. Thanks to a variety of brands who are now designing refined and stylish athletic apparel, it is now possible to wear your exercise clothes right to the office. Goodbye, gym bag!
Of course, what you can wear largely depends on your office environment. Will you be in a startup or business casual environment? You're good to go. If you work in a more formal environment, you'll have to be a little more tactful, but read on. It is indeed possible.
Here are tips on how to wear your exercise clothes to the workplace, including what to wear and where to buy workout clothes you can wear to the office.