Where to Get W-2 Forms and 1099-MISC Forms

Annual Report Forms for Employees and Independent Contractors

payroll tax forms
DNY59/Getty Images

UPDATE: The deadline for filing W-2 and W-3 forms with the Social Security Administration (SSA) has been changed. For 2016 tax year forms, the filing deadline is January 31, 2017. The deadline for giving W-2 forms to employees is still January 31. That means you will have no time to check W-2 forms before submitting them to SSA. 

You can read the details in this article about the 2017 annual payroll tax report deadlines. 

Where to Get W-2 Forms and 1099-MISC Forms 

January is a busy time for businesses, so save yourself some stress by getting your annual payroll tax reporting forms now.

  • If you have employees, you will need to give them Form W-2, the annual wage and tax forms they will need for filing their income tax returns. I
  • If you hire contract workers, other businesses (including attorneys), you must give them a 1099-MISC form if you pay them more than $600 in a year.

Here are some places to get those tax reporting forms:

    An office supply store. The major office supply stores have packets of W-2 forms and 1099-MISC forms that you can print on your own printer. They may be available in your local store, or you can order online.

    Your local accounting firm. If you don't have one, it might be time to find a good CPA or tax preparer. to help you with business taxes. In addition to helping you complete your business tax form, an accountant can also take your payroll information and complete and file W-2 forms or 1099-MISC forms.

    Your tax software. Here are the details on which version of which tax software can help you prepare W-2s and 1099s:

    From the IRS. You might still have time to order tax forms directly from the IRS. Go to their online forms ordering page for more information.

      Where You CANNOT Get W-2 Forms or 1099-MISC Forms 

      You cannot download W-2 forms from the IRS or elsewhere on the Internet.  Copy A of the W-2 form is in a specific color of red ink and cannot be duplicated.  You must file the specific IRS form of Copy A with the Social Security Administration. This is the copy you keep and file with Social Security at the end of January. 


      Don't forget that, after you provide W-2 forms to employees and 1099-MISC forms to contract workers, you must also file these forms with the appropriate federal agency at the end of January.

      More on W-2 Forms, including how to complete the form and where to file on January 31.

      More on Form 1099-MISC, including how to complete the form and where to file on January 31.