The Wells Fargo Propel American Express Card is ideal for consumers who want to earn more cash back in popular bonus categories without paying an annual fee. It’s a good fit for those who want to earn points when they decide to stay close to home—ordering food in from a favorite restaurant, and binge-watching a favorite TV show—and go out—catching a rideshare, eating out, and staying at a downtown hotel.
Generous rewards program
No annual fee
Introductory 0% APR offer
High ongoing APR
Short 0% APR offer
- Generous rewards program: The Wells Fargo Propel American Express Card’s generous 3% back purchase categories help this card stand out—particularly because there are so many to choose from. There's also unlimited earning potential with this card and points won't expire as long as your account is open.
- No annual fee: It’s very rare to find a cash-back card that gives 3% back in popular categories without an annual fee. The Wells Fargo Propel American Express Card manages this quite well, and with a generous welcome bonus to boot.
- Introductory 0% APR offer: The Wells Fargo Propel American Express Card grants you 0% APR on both purchases and balance transfers for 12 months. This gives you time to pay down a large purchase with no interest, or to save money on high-interest balances you transfer over.
A 3% balance transfer fee (minimum $5) applies to balances transferred in the first 120 days, and a 5% fee (minimum $5) applies thereafter.
- High ongoing APR: While the Wells Fargo Propel American Express Card grants you 0% on purchases and balance transfers for a full 12 months, you should only carry a balance if you know you can pay it off before the offer is over. Once your interest rate resets, you’ll pay a hefty variable rate between 15.49% and 27.49% APR.
- Short 0% APR offer: Also remember that, when it comes to balance transfers, this card is probably not your best bet. Many cards give you longer than 12 months at 0% APR for balance transfers, making them a better option if you have high-interest debt you need to pay down over time.
Wells Fargo Propel American Express Card Welcome Bonus
New cardholders can earn 20,000 Go Far Rewards points (which are worth $200) after spending $1,000 on their The Wells Fargo Propel American Express Card within three months.
A $200 bonus after spending $1,000 is decent, but it’s not the best offer out there. Then again, this is a generous bonus for a rewards card that doesn’t charge an annual fee.
Earning Points & Rewards
The Wells Fargo Propel American Express Card really knocks it out of the park with its 3% back rewards categories, which include eating out and dining in, gas, everyday commuting, car rentals, flights, hotels and homestays, and music, radio, and TV streaming services. You'll also earn 1% back in Go Far® points on all other purchases, and there's no limit on the number of rewards you can earn.
Go Far points never expire as long as your credit card account is open.
In most cases, each point earned with this card is worth one cent. While it is a cash-back credit card at heart, it offers many ways to redeem your points than many people realize. For example, points can be redeemed for:
- Cash redemptions and gift cards
- Charitable donations
- Merchandise and online auctions
- Travel through Wells Fargo’s Go Far Rewards portal, including airfare, car rentals, cruises and more.
In most cases, each point earned with this card is worth one cent, which is a solid value.
You can also transfer Go Far Rewards points to another Wells Fargo rewards account you own, transfer them to a rewards pool, or gift them to another customer in the program.
How to Get the Most Out of This Card
Spend $1,000 ASAP to earn your sign-up bonus points, and then keep using your card to pay for as many purchases as you can that fit into all the 3% earning categories. Use your card to shop through Wells Fargo’s Earn More Mall to earn extra cash back, too.
How much can you earn? Imagine you spend $1,000 per month in 3% categories such as Uber and Lyft rides, gas, dining out, and travel. If you also spend $1,000 per month for other purchases, you would earn $10 in regular cash back and $30 in bonus rewards every month. Over 12 months, that works out to $480 in cash back, which grows to a first-year annual total of $680 in rewards when you add in the 20,000-point welcome bonus you can earn by spending $1,000 on your card within three months of account opening.
Since most redemption options are worth one cent per point, redeem your points for statement credits so you can buy anything you want.
Wells Fargo Propel American Express Card’s Excellent Perks
We like to highlight credit card benefits that are less common and more valuable than typical perks, and this card has a couple of those:
- Lost or damaged baggage coverage: This coverage can reimburse you if your baggage is lost or damaged by a common carrier, up to $1000 per trip and $250 per person.
- Travel accident insurance: Receive up to $150,000 in travel accident coverage in the event of accidental death or serious injury during a trip paid for with this card.
- Cellular phone protection: Receive up to $600 per claim and $1,200 per 12-month period in cell phone protection if your cell phone is stolen or damaged, minus a $25 deductible.
Wells Fargo Propel American Express Card’s Other Features
- Secondary rental car loss and damage insurance
- Insurance for stolen or damaged purchases
- Extended warranties
- Emergency travel and roadside assistance
Wells Fargo offers 24/7 customer service, including access from outside the United States. They also offer a mobile app that lets you contract customer service, pay bills, track your purchases, and turn your cards off or on with the bank’s Control Tower feature. The Wells Fargo app does get solid ratings from users, including 4.8 out of 5 stars on iTunes and 4.5 out of 5 stars on Google Play.
However, Wells Fargo ranked 9th in the J.D. Power 2019 Credit Card Satisfaction Study, with only Synchrony Bank and Credit One Bank falling behind it. During this study, Wells Fargo also scored only 783 points out of 1,000, whereas the industry average was 806.
- Set up credit card alerts so you’re notified when a “suspicious” purchase is made, a purchase is made over a certain amount, a foreign purchase is made, and more
- Use the Wells Fargo Control Tower feature to turn purchases on and off, monitor your account, and track your spending
This is a relatively low-fee card: There isn’t an annual fee, there’s not a foreign transaction fee, and most of the card’s other fees are fairly standard.