The Wells Fargo Active Cash Card is designed for people who prioritize simplicity. Instead of having you chase down bonus rewards on certain categories, the card offers a flat 2% cash back on all purchases. You also don’t have to jump through any hoops to maximize the rewards rate, as some similar cards do.
Even if you prefer to use multiple cards to maximize rewards, you can use the Active Cash Card for non-bonus spending to ensure that you never get less than 2% back. The only type of credit card user who may think twice is the one who prefers to earn points and miles that they redeem for travel purposes.
The card requires good or excellent credit. According to FICO, a good credit score starts at 670, so check your credit score before you apply to determine your odds of approval.
Generous rewards rate with no caveats
Solid introductory 0% APR promotion
Rare welcome bonus
No bonus reward categories
Some redemption limitations
- Generous rewards rate with no caveats: The Wells Fargo Active Cash Card is far from the only card that offers 2% cash back. But with competing cards, you must have another account with the financial institution or redeem your rewards in a certain way to get that 2% rate. And with the Citi Double Cash, the leading competitor, you get half of your cash back when you make a purchase, then the other half as you pay it off. With this card, you get 2% back on every purchase with no strings attached.
- Solid introductory 0% APR promotion: The card offers an introductory 0% APR on purchases and qualifying balance transfers made in the first 120 days for 15 months. That's not the best 0% APR deal out there, but compared to other 2% cash-back cards, it's about as good as it gets.
- Rare welcome bonus: Among all the 2% cash-back credit cards, this is the only one that offers a consistent cash bonus to new cardholders when they meet a spending requirement. This has long been a weakness among similar cards.
- No bonus rewards categories: If you just want one credit card to use on everything, you likely don't care about the card's lack of bonus categories. To earn even more than 2% back on every purchase you make, you'll need to pair this card with others that have tiered rewards programs that give you, for instance, 3% on groceries or 5% on travel.
- Some redemption limitations: You'll have a lot of redemption options with this card, but if you want simple cash back in the form of a bank deposit or paper check, you're out of luck.
Wells Fargo Active Cash Card Bonus for New Cardholders
New cardholders will earn a $200 cash bonus when they spend $1,000 in the first three months with the card. That's a high spending requirement compared to some other cash-back credit cards, some of which offer the same bonus for half the spending.
But considering that no other major 2% cash-back credit card offers a welcome bonus at all helps put things in perspective. And if you can spend at least $333 per month without changing your shopping habits, you'll have no trouble earning the bonus.
Earning Points & Rewards
The Wells Fargo Active Cash Card offers a flat 2% cash back on every purchase you make—period. If you don't want to keep track of multiple credit cards and when to use which one to maximize your rewards, this card can feel like a godsend. There are very few credit cards that offer a higher rate on everything.
The card offers a handful of ways you can redeem your cash back. You can:
- Get a statement credit for past purchases of $1 or more that you've made with your card.
- Request a credit toward a qualifying Wells Fargo mortgage, loan, or another credit account.
- Withdraw cash at an ATM with a minimum redemption of $20.
- Purchase gift cards.
- Book travel through the Wells Fargo Go Far Rewards platform.
- Share your rewards with another Wells Fargo account holder in $25 increments.
- Donate to select causes and organizations.
Unfortunately, getting your rewards in the form of a direct deposit to your bank account or a paper check isn't an option.
If you choose to use your cash back for a statement credit on your card or toward another Wells Fargo credit account, it won't count toward your minimum monthly payment.
How To Get the Most Out of This Card
Because the card offers such a high rewards rate, you don't have to strategize how you're going to make the most out of the rewards program. Just use it for everything you buy, and pay off the balance in full every month.
However, if you want to maximize your rewards in general, consider pairing the Wells Fargo Active Cash Card with one or more other cards that offer bonus rewards in certain categories.
Tiered-rewards credit cards often offer high rewards rates on certain purchases, but just 1% or—less commonly—1.5% back on everything else. If you use those cards for their bonus rewards and this one for everything else, you'll always earn at least 2% back.
When you first get the card, track your spending to ensure that you meet the minimum spending requirement by the three-month deadline. Also, if you have a large purchase you want to pay over time or a high-interest balance on another card, take advantage of the 0% APR promotion to save on interest.
Wells Fargo Active Cash Card’s Excellent Perks
The Balance editors have determined some excellent credit card perks worthy of showcasing. While the Wells Fargo Active Cash Card is primarily focused on its cash-back value, this additional benefit is especially notable:
- Cellphone protection: Use your card to pay your wireless phone bill and you'll get up to $600 in protection against damage or theft. You can file up to two claims per 12-month period, but there's a $25 deductible, and the coverage will be secondary to any other insurance you have in place.
Wells Fargo Active Cash Card’s Other Features
- Concierge for booking event tickets, travel, and other services
- Travel and emergency hotline
- Roadside assistance hotline
Wells Fargo was ranked just eighth out of 11 major card issuers in the J.D. Power 2021 Credit Card Satisfaction Study, with a below-average rating. The big bank's mobile app was also rated below average in a separate J.D. Power study, but it ranked slightly higher at No. 6.
That said, Wells Fargo offers 24/7 customer service, and you'll get free access to your FICO credit score through your account.
Wells Fargo provides standard security features that most credit card issuers employ. These include zero-liability fraud protection, two-factor authentication when logging in, contactless capability, and card lock.
Wells Fargo Active Cash Card’s Fees
The card's fees are standard, and they're technically all avoidable. However, if you plan to use the card for a balance transfer, note that the fee is 3% of the transfer amount for the first 120 days, then up to 5% after that—the minimum fee is $5. Also, if you plan to take the card abroad, expect a 3% fee on foreign transactions. Consider using a card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees instead.