Wawanesa Insurance has been around the insurance world since 1896 in Canada, starting operations as a farmers’ mutual company in Wawanesa, Manitoba. The company branched out into the United States in 1975, and provides residents of California and Oregon with auto, renters, homeowners and condominium insurance, as well as identity theft services. Wawanesa’s U.S. operations are headquartered in San Diego, California.
Financial Stability Ratings, Customer Service Ratings and Company Awards
Insurance rating organization A.M. Best gave an “A” Excellent rating in financial strength in 2018. The “A+” rating from the Better Business Bureau also ranks the company high in the area of customer service. In 2013, JD Power & Associates awarded Wawanesa Insurance its “Best in California” rating following analysis of its customer satisfaction survey results.
Insurance customers in California and Oregon can obtain a quote through the company website or by telephone directly from the company. The following insurance products are offered to Wawanesa’s U.S. customers:
- Auto Insurance: Bodily injury and property damage liability beginning at the state limits as well as comprehensive and collision coverage. Optional auto coverage includes emergency roadside assistance and uninsured motorist coverage.
- Renters Insurance: The renter's policy offers replacement cost on content rather than actual cash value. Basic coverage includes personal property coverage, loss of use, personal liability and medical payments to others. You can increase your coverage by adding coverage for expensive personal property items, earthquake coverage, credit cards and more.
- Homeowners Insurance: Oregon homeowners do not have the option to buy homeowners insurance through Wawanesa. As of June 2021, this insurance was also no longer available in California. Previously, the Wawanesa homeowners policy offered replacement cost for your dwelling even if it exceeded your policy limit. The company covered replacement costs up to 125% of your coverage limit. Basic protection included dwelling and other structures, personal property, loss of use, personal liability and medical payments to others.
- Condominium Insurance: The condominium policy (not available in Oregon) provides replacement cost on contents, special coverage for dwelling and an inflation guard which will increase your policy limits to match the current replacement cost of your home. Basic coverage includes dwelling, personal property, loss of use, personal liability and medical payments. Optional coverage is available for increased limits, scheduled property, earthquake coverage (California), credit card, loss assessment coverage and more.
- Identity Theft Services: Identity theft management services are available to policyholders including access to resources to resolve any identity theft activity. If you are a victim of identity theft, you will receive free credit and fraud monitoring services.
Wawanesa offers flexible payment plans to fit your financial budget and there are also some valuable discounts available through Wawanesa to help you save on your insurance premium:
- Auto Discounts: Good Driver, Multi-Car, Mature Driver, Loyalty, Driver Training
- Renters Discounts: Fire or Smoke Alarm, Fire Extinguisher, Burglar Alarm, Gated Community
- Condominium Discounts: Home Protection Device, Water Alarm, Sprinkler System, Non-Smoker, Multi-Product, Age of Homeowner, Claims-Free
- Homeowners Discounts: Multi-Product, Non-Smoker, Burglar Alarm, Water Alarm, Sprinkler System, Loyalty, Claims-Free
- Multi-policy Discounts: Discounts for multiple policies on homeowners/auto coverage
From the company website, you can get or retrieve a quote for auto, renters, homeowners or condominium insurances. You can also manage your policy billing by making an inquiry, paying online, requesting a change or proof of insurance. For claims, you can submit an auto or residential claims 24/7.
The Bottom Line
Wawanesa Insurance ranks high in financial stability and customer service satisfaction. Overall, it is a good option for residents of California and Oregon to consider when looking for the best value on an insurance policy.
The best rates for auto insurance will go to those with good driving records, so if you have several tickets or accidents, you may be able to obtain a more affordable option with a company specializing in high-risk drivers. One thing that potential customers should realize is that it is likely that you will not receive an immediate quote for insurance coverage from the company website, but may be emailed a quote the next day after your information has been reviewed.
For more information about the insurance products offered from Wawanesa, you can visit the Wawanesa Insurance website. Quote, claims and customer service representatives are available Monday–Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. and on Saturdays from 8 am to 4:30 pm.