Who Is This Credit Card Best For?
Diligently searches for the best products and delights in a good bargain See more cards
Looks for good quality at a fair price while buying for the household See more cards
Loves being the first to try something new See more cards
Frequently shops with a particular merchant and wants to be rewarded for their loyalty See more cards
Since the Walmart Rewards Card is a store credit card that’s only good for Walmart purchases or gas purchases made at Walmart or Murphy USA gas stations, this card is best for frequent Walmart shoppers. If you want a Walmart credit card you can use anywhere, check out the Capital One Walmart Rewards Mastercard instead.
Good rewards-earning rate on Walmart purchases
Flexible redemption options
Credit building opportunity
Smartphone required for sign-up bonus
- Good rewards-earning rate on Walmart purchases: Once you sign up for this store credit card, you’ll earn 5% back on purchases made at Walmart.com or with the Walmart app. You’ll also earn 2% back on Walmart in-store purchases and at Walmart and Murphy USA gas stations. As an added bonus, you can earn 5% back on in-store purchases made with Walmart Pay for 12 months.
- Flexible redemption options: You can use rewards for purchases during online checkout or for past purchases made on your card. You can also cash in your rewards for gift cards.
- Good for credit building: Since store cards are typically easier to qualify for, they can make it easier to build your credit score when you’re first starting out.
- Limited use: If you want a credit card you can use anywhere or one you can rely on for emergencies, the Walmart Rewards Card is not the best option. The Walmart Rewards Card is only good for Walmart purchases.
- Smartphone required for sign-up bonus: You can earn a higher rewards rate for the first 12 months if you use Walmart Pay in stores. However, that means you need to have a smartphone, which only 81% of American adults do, according to Pew Research.
Walmart Rewards Card Sign-Up Bonus
New cardholders earn 5 points per $1 spent on in-store purchases made with Walmart Pay for 12 months (instead of the usual 2 points per $1). Using Walmart Pay requires downloading the app from the App Store or Google Play.
Earning Points & Rewards
While you’ll only earn rewards on Walmart purchases, this card’s rewards scheme is still lucrative. Once you’re approved, you can earn 5 points per $1 spent on purchases made at Walmart.com or with the Walmart app, along with 2 points per $1 spent on Walmart in-store purchases and at Walmart and Murphy USA gas stations. You won’t have to wait for the physical card to arrive before using it—once you’re approved you can make purchases with it via Walmart Pay.
There’s no cap on the amount of rewards you can earn. Plus, your rewards will never expire as long as your account remains open.
You will view, manage, and redeem your rewards points through your online account page or through the Capital One app. The Walmart Rewards Card lets you redeem points for purchases during online checkout at Walmart.com, as well as for statement credits, and to cover past purchases made on your card. You can also cash in your rewards for gift cards.
How to Get the Most Out of This Card
This is a simple credit card rewards scheme, and maximizing your rewards is easy. Use your Walmart Rewards Card for all your online, in-app, and in-store Walmart purchases. Also consider downloading and using Walmart Pay, which boosts your in-store earnings rate up to 5 points per $1 for 12 months.
Walmart and Capital One also provide a traditional Mastercard credit card you can use anywhere—and it offers the same rewards earnings at Walmart that this one does.
Capital One typically receives high marks for its customer service and credit card satisfaction. This was most recently noted in J.D. Power’s 2019 U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study, which ranked Capital One third among 11 major card issuers nationwide. Capital One earned 807 out of 1,000 possible points in the study, whereas the industry average was 806.
There are two apps you may use as a Walmart Rewards Card customer—the Capital One app and the Walmart app. Both apps tend to get positive reviews. The Capital One app received the third spot in J.D. Power’s 2019 U.S. Credit Card Mobile App Satisfaction Study, and the Walmart app has 4.7 out of 5 stars in the Apple Store and 4.0 stars on Google Play.
The Walmart Rewards Card comes with standard security features like zero fraud liability. You can also set up account alerts that will notify you via text, email, or phone if suspicious activity is noticed on your account.
The Walmart Rewards Card has hardly any fees to be aware of, which is typical for a store credit card. However, you should be wary of the high interest rate you’ll pay if you carry a balance.