USAA Insurance has insured members of the military and their families since the 1920s. A group of military officers started the company because at the time, it was hard for military members to find coverage. Members of the U.S. military, National Guard or Reserve, and family members have a great option for motorcycle insurance with this “A++” Superior A.M. Best rated company.
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) 2021 Market Share Reports ranked USAA as number six among the top property and casualty insurance companies. USAA boasts more than $25 billion in direct premiums written and a 4.39% market share. Companies ranking higher than USAA include State Farm, Progressive, Allstate, Travelers, and CHUBB limited.
USAA is not BBB accredited, but it has an “A+” rating. It has a rating of 1.21 out of 5 stars, based on 808 customer reviews. There are a total of 2,031 customer complaints listed on the BBB page for USAA in the areas of advertising/sales issues, billing issues, delivery issues, guarantee issues, and problems with service. Of these issues, 993 were closed in the last 12 months.
Along with motorcycle insurance, you can also find coverage for auto, homeowners, life, health, banking, retirement, and investment services. USAA has won many customer service awards and was listed as a customer service champion in Business Week magazine. USAA is headquartered in San Antonio, Texas. It has a membership base of over 13 million and a net value of over $19 billion.
In recent years USAA has begun outsourcing its motorcycle insurance to Progressive Insurance. The policy is a one-year term and comes with many options:
- Liability: Pays for bodily injury and property damage you cause during an accident on your bike.
- Comprehensive: Covers physical damage to your motorcycle caused by anything other than a collision, such as falling objects, fire, and weather-related events.
- Collision: Physical damage coverage for your bike for an at-fault accident.
- Custom Parts and Equipment: Coverage up to $30,000.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist: Covers damages you sustain during a motorcycle accident with an uninsured motorist.
- Medical Payments: Pays for medical treatment for you or your passenger, no matter who is at fault.
- Roadside Assistance: This is an optional coverage that will help you if your motorcycle breaks down on the road. It pays for emergency repairs and towing.
USAA provides many easy payment methods to its clients. You may pay in full or choose to make monthly payments. You may schedule automatic payments through your checking account or pay by credit card, EFT, money order, check, telephone, mail, or online, including through PayPal.
USAA now offers free mobile tools that allow you to pay using Google Pay, Apple Pay, and Samsung Page. You can also add your debit card to your phone and make payments that way. Along with paying your bill, you can have access to all of your USAA products and accounts. There are also tools for finding a loan and ATMs.
One of the best reasons for members of the military to choose USAA is the range of great discounts offered to members. Here is just a sample of some of the USAA discounts available:
- Multiple Policy: By getting other insurance with USAA such as homeowners and auto, you receive a discount on your motorcycle policy.
- Multiple Vehicle: If you have more than one bike, you receive a discount for insuring them all through USAA.
- Loyalty Discount: This is a discount upon renewal for keeping your coverage with USAA.
- Defensive Driving Discount: Discount for a USAA-approved driving course.
- Driver’s Training Discount: You can get a discount for taking an approved motorcycle training course.
- Good Student: Given to high-school and college students who maintain a high grade point average.
- Family Discount: A 10% discount for family members who join and are insured through USAA.
- New Motorcycle: If your motorcycle is three years old or newer, you can get a new motorcycle discount.
- Storage Discount: If you put your bike in storage, you qualify for a lower premium, which helps if you are deployed.
- Safety Training Discount: A 5% discount for taking a USAA-approved motorcycle safety course.
- Good Driver Discount: Given to members who remain accident-free through the policy period.
- Seasonal Discounts: This discount is given to members based on the season when you drive your bike most.
Other Vehicle Insurance
Along with motorcycle insurance, you can also get coverage through USAA for your other recreational vehicles, including boats and RVs. For boats, you get a 5% discount for being a USAA member. You can also get discounts for taking an approved safety course and insuring more than one vehicle on one policy.
Motorhome insurance also gives a 5% discount for being a USAA member and covers you when you use it as a temporary home. You are covered year-round, but the policy premium is adjusted based on the typical motorhome use in your state. If you are a safe driver, you could qualify for a $0 deductible.
Pros & Cons of USAA
- Superior financial strength ratings.
- Excellent customer service and claims record.
- Competitive insurance rates for military members.
- USAA returns a portion of profits to members.
- 24/7 claims and customer service.
- USAA is only available to members of the U.S. military and their families.
- Many of the benefits are not shown on the website unless you become a member.
To learn more about USAA motorcycle insurance and its other products for members of the military, you can visit the USAA website or call 800-531-USAA (8722).