USAA Cashback Rewards Plus American Express Card is a good deal for military members who spend a lot at U.S. gas stations, U.S. supermarkets, and on military base purchases but hope to minimize fees. Considering this card offers a low interest rate, it is ideal for military members who want to keep costs down while they are serving their country at home or abroad.
High rewards-earning rate
Potential for low interest rate
No new cardholder bonus
Earnings caps on rewards
Limited redemption options
Must be a USAA member to apply
- High rewards-earning rate: Earning 5% back on up to $3,000 in combined gas station and military base spending is a major plus, and so is earning 2% back on up to $3,000 in supermarket purchases each year.
- Potential for a low interest rate: This card’s ongoing variable rate starts at a lower threshold than many comparable cash-back credit cards.
- No bonus for new cardholders: Where many cash-back and rewards credit cards offer a welcome bonus, this card doesn’t.
- Earnings caps on rewards: Earning 5% or 2% back in some categories is a good thing, but note that you’ll only earn these rates on up to $3,000 in spending in each respective bonus category each year. After that, you’ll earn the same rate of rewards you earn on all other purchases—1%.
- Limited redemption options: This card only lets you redeem your rewards for cash back in $1 increments. You cannot redeem your rewards for travel, gift cards, merchandise, or other options many comparable rewards cards offer.
- Must be a USAA member to apply: Not everyone can apply for this credit card. To become a USAA member, you have to be an active-duty officer or enlisted personnel, in the National Guard or Reserves, an officer candidate in commissioning programs, or a spouse, former spouse, or adult child of a USAA member.
Earning Points & Rewards
You’ll earn 5% back on up to $3,000 in combined spending on gas and military base purchases (e.g. commissaries and exchanges) each year, 2% back on up to $3,000 in U.S. supermarket spending each year, and 1% back on everything else you buy. Earning rates in bonus categories are high, but it’s important to understand how the rewards caps will limit your rewards potential in the long run.
Let’s say you max out both bonus categories during year one, with $3,000 in combined spending on gas and base purchases ($150 in cash back) and $3,000 spent at supermarkets ($60 in cash back). If you spend another $1,000 per month on regular purchases with your credit card, you would earn an additional $120 in cash back, for a total of $220 in your first year.
That’s not a bad return, but you may be able to do better with a different cash-back credit card. For example, there are cash-back cards with new cardholder bonuses and flat rewards rates that can generate more money in the first year.
As long as your account is in good standing, you can redeem rewards for cash back in increments of $1. There are no other options when it comes to how you can cash in your points.
How to Get the Most Out of This Card
Use the USAA Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® Card for $3,000 in combined gas station and military base purchases as well as $3,000 in U.S. supermarket purchases each year so you max out both the 5% and 2% bonus categories.
We suggest pairing this card with another cash-back credit card that offers more than 1% back on regular purchases. For example, you could use a card that offers 1.5% back on everything for all your regular spending plus supermarket, gas, and military base purchases after you max the bonus categories out with the USAA card. With this plan, you’d maximize your cash-back earnings, and you’d still benefit from this card’s low interest rates (if you needed to carry a balance), and other exceptional USAA perks.
The USAA Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® Card offers a few benefits the editors of The Balance consider “excellent,” and that you may not expect from a cash-back credit card.
- Primary rental car collision insurance: Qualify for up to 31 days of primary rental car coverage. Most cards that offer a rental car benefit offer “secondary” rental collision coverage, which means the policy only kicks in if your own insurance doesn’t cover the loss.
- Insurance coverage for trip cancellation and interruption: This coverage is good for up to $1,500 per covered person when your trip is canceled or interrupted for a covered reason beyond your control.
- Travel accident insurance: Qualify for up to $500,000 in travel accident insurance when you face loss of life or certain injuries during travel.
- Insurance coverage for delayed luggage: Get reimbursed for up to $100 per day for up to three days for clothing, toiletries, and other essential purchases when your baggage is delayed by four hours or more.
As you might expect, you must pay for the relevant goods or services with your USAA Cashback Rewards Plus American Express card for these coverages and benefits to kick in.
USAA Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® Card’s Other Features
- Travel and emergency hotline
- Extended warranties
- Concierge for booking event tickets, travel, and other services
When it comes to customer satisfaction, USAA earns consistently high marks. This is true once again in J.D. Power’s 2021 U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study, where they scored 860 out of 1,000 possible points.
This puts USAA ahead of all major credit card issuers nationwide including Discover, American Express, Chase, and other banks that often get high marks for customer service. By comparison, the industry average in this study was just 809 out of 1,000 points.
In addition to 24/7 fraud monitoring and zero liability for fraudulent purchases, this card comes with a few security features that help it stand out, including identity theft resolution services and up to $1,000 in identity theft coverage.
USAA Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® Card’s Fees to Watch For
This card is light on fees, especially when you consider you don’t even have to pay a cash advance fee if you transfer the funds electronically to a USAA checking account. There’s no annual fee, no foreign transaction fee, and no minimum interest charge, either.