Who Is This Credit Card Best For?
Flies regularly and likes finding ways to score even more travel—for free See more cards
Diligently searches for the best products and delights in a good bargain See more cards
Loves to explore places and experience new things See more cards
Frequently shops with a particular merchant and wants to be rewarded for their loyalty See more cards
If you love United Airlines, can fly with the airline often, and enjoy benefits like airport lounge access, free checked bags, and quick trips through airport security on busy travel days, this airline rewards card is made for you. It’s jam-packed with travel perks such as statement credits and valuable insurance benefits, too. Keep in mind that the annual fee is one of the highest on the market.
If you’re not loyal to this particular airline, we recommend checking out a general travel rewards card instead to get similar travel benefits and more rewards earning rates on a variety of travel purchases.
Superb rewards earning rates on United purchases, dining, and other travel
Complimentary airport lounge membership
Lots of additional travel perks
Very high ongoing annual fee
- Superb rewards earning rates on United purchases, dining, and other travel: It’s typical for airline rewards cards to offer several miles per $1 spent on airline purchases, but this card goes above and beyond the norm. We also love that you can earn extra miles on other types of spending, including food delivery orders.
- Complimentary airport lounge membership: As a cardholder, you’ll have a United Club membership, which grants you and eligible travel companions access to United Club and Star Alliance lounges worldwide. This benefit is worth up to $650, so if you enjoy it, the card’s $525 annual fee may be well worth it.
- Lots of additional travel perks: You’ll also get benefits like two free checked bags, 25% back in statement credits on purchases made during United flights, and priority check-in. The checked bag benefit alone is worth $320 roundtrip if you and a travel companion check two bags each both ways. The Infinite also offers competitive travel insurance benefits. All these perks give this high-cost card more value for those who fly often.
- Very high ongoing annual fee: A big drawback of this card is its annual cost, which is one of the highest among premium airline and travel rewards cards, so it’s not cheap. You’ll need to take advantage of the travel perks and earn the statement credits this card offers to make the steep expense worth it.
Bonus for New Cardholders
Spend $3,000 within three months of opening this card and you'll get 75,000 miles, which is a great offer given the above-average value of United Airlines miles. Based on The Balance's calculations, this bonus is worth about $1,643, or at least two round-trip economy flights. That's a great deal compared to other premium airline cards, and even better than some of the best general travel rewards cards
Earning Miles & Rewards
You’ll earn 4 miles per $1 spent on United purchases (such as flights, seat upgrades, and in-flight purchases), 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants (including takeout orders made through eligible services such as GrubHub, Seamless, and Doordash) and on all other travel purchases, and then 1 mile per $1 spent on everything else.
We like that you can earn United miles on other types of travel purchases with this card now, such as hotel stays or rental car reservations. That gives travelers earning flexibility similar to what’s offered by general travel rewards cards such as The Platinum Card from American Express or the Chase Sapphire Reserve.
At the end of every billing cycle, the miles you’ve earned will be transferred to your United MileagePlus account. Your miles won’t expire unless you close your MileagePlus account.
The best way to use rewards earned with this card is to book United airline tickets, as your miles will be worth 2.28 each when used that way, based on our valuations. The Balance found international flights amp up the per-mile value even more, too, making them worth about 3.66 cents each, on average.
Since United Airlines is part of the Star Alliance network, you can also use miles earned with this card to book eligible flights on one of 25 partner airlines such as Air Canada and Lufthansa.
There are no blackout dates, so you can book an award flight with miles as long as one is available. United MileagePlus miles can also be used to buy ticket upgrades and make reservations with partner hotels, resorts, and rental car companies. And lastly, like many other airline loyalty programs, you can also use miles to buy things like gift cards, merchandise, or event tickets, but these are typically much less valuable ways of using your hard-earned miles.
How to Get the Most Out of This Card
Use this card to pay for all your United purchases, other travel expenses, and even takeout to quickly accumulate the high-value airline miles. Since the miles earned with this card don’t expire, we also recommend saving your rewards for international award flights if you want to squeeze even more value out of each mile.
Most importantly, be mindful of the steep annual fee. You can’t avoid paying it, but you can offset the cost by enjoying the travel benefits this card offers. The Infinite is designed to make air travel more luxurious and enjoyable, so take advantage of that.
United Club Infinite Card’s Excellent Perks
In addition to what’s already been highlighted, this card comes with an array of perks we think are superior to typical credit card offerings:
- Global Entry/TSA Precheck application fee reimbursement: Use the Infinite to pay the application fee for either security clearance program to receive a statement credit up to $100 once every four years.
- Hertz elite status: Register for the Hertz President’s Circle elite status tier, which entitles you to rental car upgrades, bonus Hertz points, and more.
- Premier Access travel services: Hurry through the terminal with Premier Access security and check-in lanes, priority boarding, and priority baggage handling so your bags are the first off of the plane.
- Complimentary award ticket upgrades: Primary cardholders who are also MileagePlus Premier members are eligible for complimentary seat upgrades when available.
- Primary rental car collision insurance: Use this card to pay for your entire rental to fully cover the cash value of your rental car in the event of theft or accident damage. And you won’t have to go through your own vehicle insurance company first.
- Insurance coverage for lost or delayed luggage: If you or an immediate family member has checked or carry-on luggage lost or damaged, you may be covered up to $3,000 per passenger.
- Insurance coverage for trip cancellation, interruption, or delay: If your trip is interrupted by illness, severe weather, airline delays or other covered situations, you can be reimbursed for lost costs (up to $10,000 per person and $20,000 per trip for canceled or interrupted trips, and up to $500 per ticket for covered delay costs).
United Club Infinite Card’s Other Features
- Extended warranties
- Refund when merchant won’t accept returned item
- Insurance for stolen or damaged purchases
- Visa Infinite Concierge Services for booking event tickets, travel, and other services
- Access to special perks at Luxury Hotel & Resorts Collection properties
Chase has decent customer service ratings as a card issuer, according to the 2020 J.D. Power U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study. Among the top 11 card-issuing banks, Chase ranks fourth. It scored 809 out of 1,000 points. For perspective, the industry average is 810.
If you open this credit card, you can expect standard customer service options. You’ll have access to a 24/7 phone line and can send secure messages online after logging into your account. Chase also offers a service to help you keep tabs on your credit score, Chase Credit Journey. You can access Credit Journey when you log into your cardholder account, although you don’t need a Chase credit card to sign up for it.
Chase offers standard security features on this credit card, such as zero fraud liability. You can sign up for account alerts to be notified of any suspicious charges, and Chase may try to contact you or temporarily freeze your account if this happens. You can also receive credit alerts through Chase Credit Journey if something odd shows up on your credit report.
United Club Infinite Card’s Fees
The most notable fee charged by this card is the steep annual fee you’ll pay after. If you’re a loyal United flyer and enjoy the benefits this card offers, the cost may be worth it. It’s pretty typical for travel rewards cards to not charge a foreign transaction fee, and this card is no different, which makes it a great go-to card for international travelers.