U.S. Army Garrison (USAG) Schweinfurt, Germany

1
Overview

Headquarters Bldg. Photo courtesy U.S. Army

NOTE:  On September 19, 2014, U. S. Army Garrison (USAG) Schweinfurt installation was returned to the German government due to an ongoing effort to concentrate the U.S. military's footprint in Germany to fewer communities.

The U. S. Army Garrison (USAG) Schweinfurt Military Community, part of the "Big Red One" makes up the 280th Support Battallion which is attached to the 98th Area Support Group out of Wuerzburg. The community is split between two barracks or kasernes, Conn and Ledward. Both are located in the city of Schweinfurt aproximately two miles apart. Schweinfurt is a beautiful city located in the German State of Bavaria, 99 miles from Frankfurt and and 72 miles from Nuernburg. Switzerland, Austria, France and Belgium are only a few hours away. The installation offers a full range of support organizations including personnel, finance, medical and dental support, AAFES, DeCA, and DoDDS.

USAG Schweinfurt's mission is to provide support activities and force protection safeguards for our Community. In times of conflict or war, the mission is to process and deploy forces and equipment throughout Germany and Europe.

At the end of World War II, in 1947, Schweinfurt's flugplatz was renamed Conn Barracks in honor of 2LT Orville B. Conn, Jr. Lieutenant Conn was the first World War II casualty of the Sixth Cavalry Group, killed in action on August 10, 1944, at Normandy, France. The Panzer Kaserne was renamed Ledward barracks in honor of LTC William J. Ledward. LTC Ledward was killed in action in Italy, June 1944. He was Commanding Officer of the 27th Armored Field Artillery Battalion. The U.S. Army took control of Ledward Barracks in 1948.

Under the United States Army, Schweinfurt was home to approximately over 12,000 soldiers, Department of the Army civilians, and their family members.

At the time of its closing, USAG Schweinfurt was subordinate to United States Army Installation Management Command – Europe and was an indirect report garrison under USAG Ansbach, as part of the Franconia Military Community.

(This page is kept for archive purposes)