US Work Visas and Eligibility Requirements

How to Get a Visa to Work in the United States

Are you a foreign national interested in working in the US? You will need a work visa to be legally employed in the United States. There are several types of work visas available for foreign nationals who want to work in the United States including temporary work visas, seasonal work visas, and exchange worker visas. 

The type of visa you may be eligible for will depend on the type of work you do, whether you have a relationship with an employer, and, in some cases, your country of origin. Here's information on each type of US work visa, including eligibility and requirements, plus information on how to apply for a visa to work in the United States.

What is a US Work Visa?

us green card
Copyright epoxydude/Getty Images

What's a US work visa, and why do you need one? A visa is a document that provides authorization for travel to and admittance to the United States. Prior to visiting, working, or immigrating to the USA, a citizen of a foreign country generally must first obtain a US visa. The visa provides entry to the US and, depending on the type of visa obtained, may provide authorization for employment in the US.

Having a visa does not guarantee entry to the US. However it does indicate a consular officer at a US Embassy or Consulate has determined you are eligible to seek entry for the specific purpose listed on the visa.

 Visas are obtained from the US Embassy or Consulate that is closest to your residence abroad. Here's a directory of US Embassies and Consulates.

US Green Cards

It is possible to become a permanent resident (Green Card holder) of the United States through a job or offer of employment. There is also a lottery program that provides a limited amount of green cards for successful applicants.

However, some categories require a certification from the U.S. Department of Labor to show that there are not enough U.S. Workers who are able, willing, qualified, and available in the geographic area where the immigrant is to be employed and that no American workers are displaced by foreign workers.  Also, there are specialized job categories that may enable you to get a visa based on your current or past employment.

Here's information on eligibility for and obtaining a US employment-related green card. More

Green Card Lottery Programs

The annual green card lottery program (Diversity Immigrant Visa Program) is an opportunity for potential immigrants to obtain the status as a permanent legal resident of the USA. This program runs each year and provides 50,000 "Green Cards" to applicants randomly selected in a lottery process - known as Green Card Lottery.

Registration for this program is free and available online. Eligibility is limited for natives from some countries. The eligible country list is posted with the guidelines for each year's diversity program.

Exchange Visitor Visas

US Exchange Visitor (J) non-immigrant are visas available for individuals approved to participate in work and study-based exchange visitor programs. These visas allow visitors to experience life in the US, before returning to their home countries with an appreciation of the American culture and lifestyle.

Here's information on Exchange Visitor visas including how to find a sponsoring organization and how to apply for a J-1 visa.

Temporary Work Visas (Non-Agricultural)

US Temporary Non-Agricultural (H-2B) Visas are available for foreign workers in non-agricultural fields to work in the United States, given that there is an insufficient number of domestic laborers to fill the position. H-2B visas are generally used for jobs that are temporary, though not agricultural - for example, jobs at ski mountains, hotels, beach resorts, or amusement parks.

There is a cap, currently 66,000 a year, on the number of employees who are issued this type of visa.

Temporary Worker Visas (Skilled Workers)

US H1-B non-immigrant visas are for skilled, educated individuals employed in specialized occupations. The H1-B visa enables foreign workers to temporarily work for a specific employer in the United States.

To apply, you must have an employee-employer relationship, work in a specific in-demand specialty occupation, and be paid above the prevailing wage for that job. There is a cap of 65,000 H1-B visas issued each year.

Here's more information on H1-B visas.

Seasonal Agricultural Worker Visas

US Seasonal Agricultural Worker (H2-A) Visas are available for foreign agricultural workers to work in the United States on a seasonal or temporary basis, provided that there is a shortage of domestic workers. Here's more information on H2-A visas, including eligibility and requirements.

Read More: How to Get a Permit to Work in the United States