Travelers is a long-standing insurance company that offers a variety of insurance products. The company offers a basic home insurance policy as a starting point, but it’s one of the most customizable homeowners policies we’ve seen, with a variety of add-ons to cover your financial bases and ensure peace of mind. And with over 12,000 claim representatives nationwide offering 24/7 customer service, someone is always available to answer questions or offer support.
- Pros and Cons
- Company Overview
Extremely customizable coverage with lots of add-ons
Good for eco-home owners: Green home coverage and green home discounts available
Home-sharing coverage available
Plans may be great for savvy shoppers, but homeowners might need expert guidance to determine what they do and don’t need
Less-than-ideal 2020 rankings with J.D. Power
- Official Website www.travelers.com
- Insurance Offered Car, homeowners, renters, condo, landlord, boat, travel, wedding, business, and more
- Customer Service Available by email (https://www.travelers.com/contact-us/email) or phone (800-842-5075), 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- Year Founded 1864
Travelers’ Home Insurance Policy
Travelers insurance offers a variety of policies. The primary one offered in most states is Quantum Home 2.0, which is a mix-and-match approach that offers a lot of ability to customize. With Quantum 2.0, you choose your home insurance coverage in three steps:
Step 1: Choose your base policy coverage:
- Dwelling: Your estimated cost to repair, rebuild, or replace your home and attached structures. There is no minimum or maximum.
- Other structures: 1%–100% of the dwelling cost
- Personal Property: 25%–100% of the dwelling cost (base policy includes this coverage for named perils)
- Loss of Use: 0%–100% of dwelling cost
- Personal liability: Either $100,000, $300,000, or $500,000
- Medical payments: Choose between $1,000, $2,0000, $5,000, or $10,000
Step 2: Choose your coverage limits among three different plans. If you have many high-value items, the top-tier plan provides more coverage than many competitors. Here’s a sampling of the options available:
|Item Covered||Travelers Protect||Travelers Protect Plus||Travelers Protect Premier|
|Money or coins||$250||$1,000||$2,000|
|Collectibles or comic books||$1,000||$2,500||$5,000|
|Theft of silverware or firearms||$1,500||$5,000||$10,000|
|Business property on premises||$3,000||$10,000||$15,000|
|Credit card, forgery, or counterfeit money loss||$1,000||$10,000||$10,000|
|Personal records and data replacement||$1,500||$3,500||$5,000|
|Damage to the property of others||$1,000||$5,000||$10,000|
Step 3: Choose one of two optional coverage “bundles,” if you wish. Some of these aspects may be available as packages or endorsements, as well.
The Additional Coverage Package adds coverage for your dwelling if a loss exceeds your limit, covers your personal property with an all-risk policy, replaces personal property at replacement cost, and adds personal injury coverage.
The Premier Additional Coverage Package adds 11 more coverage types and larger limits—for example, up to $5,000 for your refrigerated property. Among other coverages, it adds:
- Up to $25,000 in identity fraud expense reimbursement coverage
- $2,500 in reward coverage
- Higher coverage amounts for tree and debris removal
Step 4: You can add even more coverage from five different packages, including:
- Decreasing deductible and loss forgiveness
- Roof and siding matching
- Enhanced water package (for example, coverage for water backup, hidden water, and seepage)
- Buried utility lines and equipment breakdown
Policy endorsements are additional, optional forms of insurance. They add to the final premium’s cost, but may offer valuable protection. Depending on the state where you live, Travelers endorsements may include:
- Additional replacement cost protection
- Personal property replacement cost
- Special personal property coverage (covers your belongings in more situations than regular coverage)
- Identity theft protection
- Jewelry and valuable items coverage
- Personal articles floater
- Water backup and sump pump discharge or overflow coverage
- Green home coverage
- Refrigerated property coverage
- Home-sharing coverage
Factors That Affect Your Cost
Homeowners insurance costs can be influenced by a variety of common and more surprising factors, including:
- Your credit history, where legally allowed
- Your location
- Home security system
- Your claims history
- Distance between your house and a fire hydrant
- Age of home, plumbing, electrical and heating
- Home rebuilding costs
- Your policy’s limits and deductibles
- Any extras or endorsements you might request
- Any discounts you qualify for
Travelers uses credit ratings to calculate your insurance premium (where legally allowed), so if you’re married, always provide the information for both spouses. The company may use the rate of the person with the best credit score, and this strategy will help you save money.
Other Travelers Property Insurance Policies
- Landlord insurance
Travelers Home Insurance Discounts
Most Travelers home insurance discounts are pretty standard, although the green home discount is an exception. Here’s more on the available discounts:
- Green home discount: Homes with LEED “green home” certifications can save 5%
- Home buyer discount: Save money by buying a policy within 12 months of purchasing your home
- Claims-free discount
- Multi-policy discount
- Protective device discount
Travelers Home Insurance Availability
Travelers home insurance is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Previous products are being phased out, and the only states where Quantum Home 2.0 isn’t available yet are:
- New York
- North Carolina
- Rhode Island
- West Virginia
How to Get a Travelers Homeowners Insurance Quote
You can get a Travelers home insurance quote:
- by contacting your local Travelers insurance agent’s office
- by phone at 1-866-522-1881 (or see red “Get a Quote” bar on the Travelers homepage, since the company may generate a different phone number based on your IP address)
As expected, you’ll need to provide basic details about your home, like the year it was built and the type of construction. You’ll also be asked about your driving history and auto liability insurance. Travelers will use your credit-based insurance score when calculating your premiums and eligibility, except in states where this isn’t legally allowed.
How to File a Claim with Travelers
You can file a claim through your local Travelers agent, but it’s easy to file digitally through the MyTravelers app or your online account. The telephone claims center is also open 24/7/365 and can be reached at 1-800-252-4633.
Regardless of how you file a claim with Travelers, the process is the same. Travelers asks you to report your claim as soon as possible, even if you don’t have all the required information handy. You’ll need
- your contact and policy information
- what happened and when
- descriptions of the injuries and losses
- eventually, you’ll need photos of the damage and contact information for any other parties involved.
Travelers may also arrange for someone to come and inspect your home before reimbursing you or creating a Travelers estimate for the repair.
Travelers Customer Service
|Study||How Travelers Fared|
|J.D. Power 2020 Property Claims Satisfaction Study||#14 out of 22|
|J.D. Power 2020 Home Insurance Study||#16 out of 24|
|J.D. Power 2020 U.S. Insurance Digital Experience Study||
Service: #7 out of 19
The 2020 J.D. Power Home Insurance Study surveyed homeowners for customer satisfaction based on price, interactions, policy information and offerings, the billing process, and the claims experience. Based on a 1,000-point scale for which the average was 823, Travelers received 803 points. In a field of 24 insurers, it came in 16th.
The 2020 J.D. Power Property Claims Satisfaction Survey surveyed customers for customer satisfaction with their property claims experience based on settlement, claim servicing, reporting a loss (first notice of loss), and the estimation and repair processes. Based on a 1,000 point scale for which the average was 881, Travelers received 872 points. In a field of 22 insurers, it came in at #14.
In the J.D. Power 2020 U.S. Insurance Digital Experience Study, Travelers ranked #7 out of 19 for service, which reflects consumer experiences for carrying out policy-servicing tasks using the insurer’s digital tools. But it ranked #18 out of 22 for shopping experience in the same study.
Travelers’ mobile app makes it quick to manage your account, pay your bill or file a claim on the go. Travelers also has a vast network of agents, and it offers 24-hour help through its phone customer service team.
Travelers has solid financial ratings, like AM Best’s top score of A++ (Superior). This score indicates that Travelers has a superior financial ability to pay out claims, even during regional catastrophes, and meet its day-to-day financial obligations.
Other Types of Insurance Provided by Travelers
Besides offering homeowners insurance, Travelers also offers insurance for your:
- Vehicles, including car and boat
- Wedding and events
- Rental property (landlord insurance)
Compare Other Home Insurance Reviews
While Travelers has flexible home insurance policies and extensive policy endorsements, it may not be the best fit for consumers who want stellar customer service or more straightforward policy bundles. If that’s you, consider these three other home insurance providers in your search:
- State Farm
- Liberty Mutual
When researching home insurance companies, it’s important to compare quotes from multiple providers to ensure you’re getting the best value from your policy.
- Travelers offers basic home insurance policies with a robust portfolio of endorsements that customers can use to customize their policies.
- The array of options could be overwhelming for homeowners who would rather pick from premade packages.
- People with LEED-certified green homes will like Travelers’ unique green home discount and endorsement.
- Independent studies show that Travelers’ customer service and claim experiences may leave much to be desired.
The Balance strives to give consumers unbiased, comprehensive reviews of homeowners insurance providers. To ensure that our content helps you make the right insurance decision for your needs, we review each insurance provider’s coverage options, discounts, customer service and satisfaction, and financial stability.
Travelers. "Quantum Home 2.0: Flexible coverage. Competitive pricing." Accessed Nov. 10, 2020.
Travelers. "Home Insurance Coverage." Accessed Nov. 10, 2020.
Travelers. "Home Insurance Discounts." Accessed Nov. 10, 2020.
Travelers. "Home Insurance." Accessed Nov. 10, 2020.
Travelers. "Claim Reporting for Individuals." Accessed Nov. 10, 2020.
Travelers. "What to Expect After Filing Your Property Claim." Accessed Nov. 10, 2020.
J.D. Power. "Home Insurance Customer Satisfaction Declines, Opening Door for Insurtech Disruptors, J.D. Power Finds." Accessed Nov. 10, 2020.
J.D. Power. "Homeowners’ Satisfaction with Property Claims Reaches Record High as Insurers Focus on Relationship Management, J.D. Power Finds." Accessed Nov. 10, 2020.
J.D. Power. "Property & Casualty Insurers Raise Digital Games as COVID-19 Elevates Customer Expectations, J.D. Power Finds." Accessed Nov. 10, 2020.
AM Best. "Travelers Insurance Company Limited," login required. Accessed Nov. 10, 2020.