Top Skills for Fashion Interns
The fashion industry is a very competitive field and in order to become successful, you must have the talent, creativity, skills and ability it takes to do the job.
In an internship in the industry, your role can vary greatly depending on what aspect of the business you're working within. Some options include fashion retail, fashion design, sales or editorial work.
Interns are encouraged to have a passion for fashion in order to succeed, as the days can be very long and the hours grueling. If you don't love what you do, you're likely to burn out quickly.
Finding an internship in fashion is a great way to learn the ropes and find out what it's really like working in the industry.
Top Resume Skills for Fashion Design Interns
- Highly creative and artistic: Even if you are not in the design portion of the industry, creativity and an eye for what is visually appealing is important in every aspect of the business. Your creativity and sense of style can influence even written materials and promotional ads.
- Strong drawing skills: Interns need preliminary fashion skills, including the ability to sketch ideas, from potential garments to room layouts of a runway show. While being a true artist isn't necessary, you should be comfortable sketching out your thoughts to help explain your ideas.
- Good eye for detail: In fashion, detail is everything. That's true of the clothes and the business. You will often have to juggle multiple projects at once that require your constant attention, making sure nothing falls through the cracks.
- Understanding of texture, color, and quality fabric: Whether you're a designer or a public relations specialist, fashion interns should understand the basics of fabric quality, textures and complementary colors in order to talk and write intelligently about the products.
- Strong visualization skills: When dealing with garments and fashion events, you have to be able to visualize what the finished product will look like so you can plan accordingly.
- Excellent communication & interpersonal skills: Your interpersonal communication skills are essential. As an intern, you'll be dealing with people at different levels in the company, as well as outside designers and vendors.
- A good sense for business: It's important to have an understanding of current trends so you can pinpoint what will be the next big thing. Understanding that fashion is a business and not just about creating beautiful clothes is important for your success.
- A competitive spirit: The fashion industry is competitive, often with many interns competing for just one position at the end. You need to be able to handle the pressure while remaining gracious and professional.
- Ability to work well with a team: One of the key fashion skills you'll need is the ability to collaborate with others effectively. You'll be part of an extensive team that works very closely together on major projects and in meetings.
- Knowledge and interest in current fashion trends: While you don't need to be a slave to the recent trends yourself, you should be aware of what's going in the fashion world in order to have the right perspective when coming up with ideas.