The Hartford Insurance: An Overview
Is The Hartford Insurance a good insurance company for you?
Founded in 1810, The Hartford has over 200 years of insurance expertise, even insuring President Lincoln’s Illinois home back in 1861. Through independent brokers and agents, The Hartford has provided AARP members with a home and car insurance program for 30 years, has great financial stability, ranks well in many regions for customer satisfaction in car insurance and has a solid performance for claims satisfaction among home insurance policyholders.
The Hartford offers several opportunities to save money on insurance with discounts, as well as good policy coverage options. Here’s what you need to know before deciding if The Hartford is a good insurance company for you.
Is Hartford Insurance Right for You?
The Hartford is a good insurance company if you are over 50 and are a member of the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) or willing to become a member. If you have a good credit score, The Hartford may be a good fit, as they may use credit scoring in their insurance rate quotes (depending on your state of residence). It may not be the best option for you if you are not already or do not want to become a member of the AARP.
AARP membership is available to anyone 50 years and over. It offers an associate membership for those under age 50. While those under 50 can become a member, some AARP benefits providers may have age requirements in order for members to access them.
Where Is The Hartford Offered?
The Hartford offers its products and services in most states. However, some of its wholly-owned subsidiaries may not operate in every jurisdiction. Nevertheless, The Hartford does offer some sort of insurance across all 50 states and Washington, D.C. It also offers select insurance in Puerto Rico, Guam, Canada, American Samoa, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
While it is offered just about everywhere in the U.S., The Hartford does not have locations in seven states: Alaska, Delaware, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Dakota, and Rhode Island.
Pros and Cons of The Hartford Insurance
Business insurance options
Restricted to AARP members
Better coverage may require an upgrade
Potential credit check required
The Hartford Pros Explained
- Claim perks: No one likes to file a claim, but The Hartford offers a few remedies for the pain, including waivers of deductibles for not-at-fault car accidents, disappearing deductibles when you have a clean driving record, and RecoverCare, an after-accident home assistance program.
- Business insurance options: Many business insurance options are available, even for entrepreneurs and small businesses. Insurance plans include home-based business coverage, professional liability insurance, and industry-specific business packages for everyone from arborists to pet groomers to wholesalers.
Hartford Insurance Cons Explained
- Restricted to AARP members: The Hartford is limited to members of AARP. Some of AARP’s benefits providers have age requirements, too, so it’s important to talk to an agent to see if you’re eligible for coverage before even signing up for AARP.
- Credit check required: To get an insurance quote, The Hartford may request your consent to use credit scoring and other third party data relating to credit, your prior insurance, and your claims history.
- Better coverage may require an upgrade: As with many insurers, The Hartford offers varying levels of coverage based on the insurance option you choose, so when comparing pricing, be sure to find out if features like replacement costs, water damage coverage, or identity theft are included in your quote, or if you will need to upgrade or add an endorsement.
The Hartford Insurance Products
The Hartford offers a wide range of property, vehicle, and business insurance options.
- Property insurance: Homeowner, condo, flood insurance, renters insurance, and umbrella insurance
- Vehicle Insurance: Auto, motorcycle, collectible cars, RV, ATV, snowmobile, boat, and golf cart insurance
- Business insurance: General liability insurance, workers’ compensation, commercial car insurance, employee benefits, and insurance specific to industries
What Discounts Are Offered?
The Hartford offers several discounts for policyholders including up to 5% on car insurance and up to 20% on home, condo, or renters insurance when you bundle your policies.
You can get a discount on your property insurance by having home security and protective devices such as alarm systems or sprinklers, or safer quality locks on your doors. Other discounts include those for retirees, being claims-free and recently purchasing a new home.
Anti-theft, airbag, hybrid or electric car discounts, driver training, defensive driver discount, good-student discounts, and a discount for paying your policy in full will all help you save on car Insurance too.
When getting a quote from The Hartford, ask about the AARP membership requirement, what you’re actually getting for coverage, or if you need to add on features or upgrade your package in order to save.
Other Notable Offerings
Not all products are available in all states or with all insurance plans, so ask The Hartford about inclusion and pricing for these perks.
- First accident forgiveness: If you have an accident after a five-year clean driving record, your rate won’t go up.
- New car replacement: If your new car is totaled within the first 15 months (or 15,000 miles) you may qualify for a new car replacement (not depreciated value).
- Post-accident, in-home assistance: Some of the costs of home services if you’re injured after an accident will be covered.
- Equipment protection: The Hartford will provide repair or replacement of appliances, electronics, and other home systems after mechanical or electrical breakdowns.
- Green rebuilding: If using environmentally friendly materials for home repairs or rebuilds (after a claim), you may qualify to increase your benefit by up to 10%.
- Replacement Plus: This perk helps cover the extra costs of upgrading your kitchen or bathroom with universal design features that can make a home easier to live in for everyone regardless of age, size, or physical ability.
- Assisted living care coverage: Relatives living in an assisted-care facility can benefit from your homeowners coverage when you add on the Assisted Living Care. Coverage includes liability, belongings, and additional living expenses.
The Hartford Insurance Ratings and Reviews
The Hartford ranked third with a score of 4.5 out of 5 (a rating between “Better than Most” and “Among the Best”), in the J.D. Power 2019 U.S. Property Claims Satisfaction Study.
The Hartford also ranked first in the Southwest region of the J.D. Power 2019 U.S. Auto Insurance Study, second in the Northwest, and third in the Mid-Atlantic region.
A.M. Best has given The Hartford and its many subsidiaries Financial Strength Ratings of “A+ (Superior)” and “A (Excellent).”
The Hartford’s Auto & Home insurance app has 3.9 out of 5 stars in the Apple App Store and 3.5 out of 5 stars in the Google Play Store.
The Bottom Line on The Hartford Insurance Company
Overall, The Hartford is a financially strong and stable insurance company with a good coverage offering and quite a few perks. It is definitely worth speaking to one of its independent brokers or an agent to see what coverage you qualify for. The Hartford has strong car and home insurance policies, along with coverage options that may save you money if you’re a safe driver and provide good benefits if you have a claim. Plus, its partnership AARP may also afford you additional benefits and perks.
The Hartford. "Our History." Accessed Jan. 14, 2020.
The Hartford Insurance. "Legal Notice." Accessed Jan. 14, 2020.
The Hartford. "The Hartford Locations." Accessed Jan. 14, 2020.
The Hartford Insurance. "AARP Auto Insurance Program From The Hartford." Accessed Jan. 14, 2020.
The Hartford Insurance. "Business Insurance." Accessed Jan. 14, 2020.
AARP. "Join AARP." Accessed Jan. 14, 2020.
The Hartford Insurance. "AARP Homeowners Insurance Program From The Hartford." Accessed Jan. 14, 2020.
The Hartford Insurance. "The Hartford." Accessed Jan. 14, 2020.
The Hartford Insurance. "AARP Home Insurance Program From The Hartford Discounts." Accessed Jan. 14, 2020.
The Hartford Insurance. "Car Insurance Discounts & Saving." Accessed Jan. 14, 2020.
AARP Insurance. "Accident Forgiveness." Accessed Jan. 14, 2020.
The Hartford Insurance. "AARP Homeowners Insurance Coverage From The Hartford." Accessed Jan. 14, 2020.
The Hartford. "Glossary: G." Accessed Jan. 14, 2020.
J.D. Power. "Overall Property Claims Satisfaction Solid for Insurers, But Many Still Fall Short on Managing Customer Expectations during Servicing and Settlement, J.D. Power Finds." Accessed Jan. 14, 2020.
J.D. Power. "Auto Insurance Satisfaction Surges as Customers Adopt Direct-to-Consumer Models, J.D. Power Finds," Accessed Jan. 14, 2020.
App Store. "Auto & Home at The Hartford." Accessed Jan. 10, 2020.
Google Play. "Auto & Home at The Hartford."Accessed Jan. 14, 2020.