The Hartford - Auto Insurance Review
The Hartford Financial Services Group is a well-known player in the insurance industry and is one of the largest and oldest insurance companies in the United States. It offers a full-line of investment and insurance products including auto, homeowners, life and business insurance. The company was founded in 1810 and is headquartered in Hartford, Connecticut. Through its early years, the company survived several national disasters including the 1835 New York financial district fire.
The company’s president at the time, Eliphalet Terry, covered the company’s claims out of his own pocket. In 1913, The Hartford Accident and Indemnity Company started offering accident, personal-damage, business-interruption and auto liability insurance.
Auto Insurance Products
You can buy auto insurance from The Hartford from one of its independent insurance agents or through its partnership with AARP. (Members of the AARP can buy auto and homeowners' insurance through their membership with the organization.) By visiting the website or talking with an agent, you can review the types of auto insurance products and decide which ones you need. Here are the auto insurance products offered by The Hartford:
- Medical Payments
- Bodily Injury Protection
- Property Damage Liability
- Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury
- Uninsured Motorist Property Damage
- Personal Injury Protection
- Full Glass
- Towing & Labor
- Rental Reimbursement
The number of benefits and discounts offered by The Hartford with its auto insurance policy is impressive. Some of the benefits offered that stand out include:
- RecoverCare Car Insurance Benefit - This optional coverage provides living assistance if you are injured in an auto accident.
- Lifetime Car Repair Assurance - The Hartford guarantees any auto repairs done to your vehicle if completed in one of their authorized auto repair shops.
- No-Drop Promise - The company offers assurances of not dropping you as insured as long as you meet a few simple requirements. One of the requirements is not being convicted of a DUI offense. You can also not have your driver's license suspended and qualify for the no-drop promise.
- New Car Replacement - You have replacement value for a new car, the same make and model of your own, within the first 15,000 miles or 15 months.
- First Accident Forgiveness - Your first accident doesn't count against you if you meet certain qualifications.
- Disappearing Deductible – If you maintain a clean driving record, you may qualify to have your collision deductible reduced each year. You could end up having no deductible at all.
The Hartford also offers the following discounts to auto policyholders:
- Defensive Driving Credit
- Home & Auto Insurance Bundle
- Driver's Training Credit
- Good Student Discount
- Car Safety Discount
Financial Ratings & Awards
According to a customer satisfaction review by Insure.com, 91% of current Hartford auto insurance customers plan on renewing their auto insurance policy.
One customer says of The Hartford auto insurance policy, “good coverage at a fair price and they are easy to deal with.” This says a lot about a company when this many customers are willing to remain loyal customers. The company also won the 2012 People’s choice award given by Insure.com. The company also enjoys financial stability and is rated “A” by A.M. Best; “A+” by Fitch; “A2” by Moody’s; and “A” by Standard & Poor’s.
Better Business Bureau Rating
The file for The Hartford was opened with the Better Business Bureau in 1932. It is not a BBB accredited business. While companies are under no obligation to seek accreditation, it is a good way for customers to keep us with how the company handles and resolves customer complaints. The Hartford has an “A-“ rating with the BBB with 12 negative customer reviews.
The company has a composite rating of 3.23 out of 5 stars.
Getting an Auto Insurance Quote
To get an auto insurance quote on The Hartford website, you will first enter your zip code. If you are 50+, you may qualify for the AARP Auto Insurance Program at a discounted rate. You will first be asked about any driving convictions during the past three years for you or any members of your household. Next, you will enter your personal information including name, date of birth, address, telephone number and email address.
You should know that The Hartford does order third party data reports relating to your credit, driving record, vehicle history, prior insurance and loss history to determine your eligibility and to give you an accurate quote. You will also need to enter your vehicle information, year, make, model and how you use the vehicle. Once you’ve entered all the information, you can receive your quote or save your quote and have it emailed to you. The Hartford states that it does not share your email address with third parties.
Pros & Cons
- Excellent Financial Strength Ratings
- Award-winning Customer Service
- Affordable Auto Premium Rates
- Several Auto Discounts Available
- Complaints of increasing premiums without explanation
- Some complaints of claims handling
- A few complaints with problems in billing notices sent in error
- No BBB accreditation
For more information about The Hartford and its insurance products, to obtain a quote or find a local agent, visit The Hartford website or call 1-888-413-8970.