Solving Tax Issues

Tax problems can be solved. By staying calm and focused, it's possible to defend a tax return being audited or pay off tax debts.
Man filling out tax forms at the dining room table
What Is IRS Form 8606?
Mature couple calculating home finances
How Far Back Can You File Back Taxes?
Reasons Why the IRS would Remove a Federal Tax Lien: It was filed in error, the balance has been paid in full, a compromise has been reached, or the lien becomes unenforceable
Tips to Prevent and Remove Federal Tax Liens from Appearing on Your Credit Report
Woman reviewing tax forms and looking distressed
How to File IRS IRS Form 656
A closeup of lettered cubes spelling out "audit"
Learn About Tax Refunds, IRS Audits, and Collections
Tax Consultancy
The 7 Best Tax Relief Companies of 2022
What to know about the IRS' tiebreaker rules Dependency exemption almost always goes to the parent who is given legal custody of the child by court order Assuming the child did somehow manage to spend exactly the same amount of time in each parent's home during the tax year, dependency exemption goes to the parent with the highest adjusted gross income If granted dependency exemption, file a tax return listing the correct dependents To prep for the subsequent audit, gather any records indicating that your child lived with you and when, like school and medical records
IRS Tiebreaker Rules for Multiple Taxpayers Claiming the Same Dependent
Worried couple discussing how they are going to pay their owed taxes.
Can't Pay Your Taxes? Here Are Some Options
What Happens If I Don't File a Tax Return for a Few Years?
What Happens If You Don't File Taxes?
Male and female professionals studying paperwork together, the woman pointing at something in a document
What Is Tax Information Privacy?
A woman sits at her dining room table with laptop and tax paperwork
What Are Your Payment Options if You Owe the IRS?
Woman doing taxes online on a laptop at home
Filing a Late Tax Return and Protecting Your Refunds
Steps to Take if You Contributed Too Much to Your Roth IRA: Withdraw the excess contribution If you’ve already filed your tax return, you can withdraw some or all of your Roth IRA contributions up to six months after the original due date of your return Move the Roth contribution to the following tax year Move the money to a traditional IRA Do nothing—and pay an excise tax of 6% every year the excess contributions remain in the IRA
Your Options for Excess Roth IRA Contributions
Father greeting his children with open arms as they run to him at the front door
How To Avoid and Resolve IRS Audits Over Claiming Dependents
Rear view of a thoughtful man sitting at a desk with laptop in front of a window showing a city skyline
How to Request a Partial Payment Installment Agreement with the IRS
People holding "I love social security" signs
You May Be Entitled to a Social Security Tax Refund
A couple is doing accounting at home.
How to File Form 433-A
Closeup photo of a letter from the IRS
Installment Agreements for Paying Federal Tax Debts
young man paying bills at table
Options for Paying Off Tax Debts With the IRS
Employee at desk looking at paperwork confused
What To Do If You Receive an Incorrect W-2 Form
A young woman happily looking over her tax refund
Wondering When You Will Get Your Tax Return?
An IRS Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return.
Simple Steps for Getting Your Tax Transcript
Two people look at a piece of paper.
You Don't Have to File Your Tax Return by April 15: Ask for More Time.
Woman with baby on her lap working on a laptop
Does the IRS Owe You Money?
African American woman paying bills
What Is "Currently Not Collectible"?
Elderly woman at a laptop looking frustrated while reviewing financial documents
Is It Too Late if You Forgot to Claim Your IRA Deduction?
Women discussing financial bills while using laptop at table at home
Why Debts Discharged in Bankruptcy Are Not Taxable Income
A woman sits at her dining room table with laptop and paperwork doing her taxes
What to Do When You Can't Pay Your Income Taxes on Time
a woman holding a passport
Tax Penalties for U.S. Citizen Overseas Unaware of Their Citizenship
Trying to get their finances in order
What Is an IRS Tax Audit?
Woman laying on a bed using a calculator as she completes a federal tax return
How to Use an Offer in Compromise to Settle Your Tax Debt
Serious-looking woman speaks on the phone while holding tax documents
How the Taxpayer Advocate Service Helps Taxpayers
Man working on laptop
Why Your Tax Refund Is Delayed