Who Is This Credit Card Best For?
Diligently searches for the best products and delights in a good bargain See more cards
Looks for good quality at a fair price while buying for the household See more cards
Loves being the first to try something new See more cards
Frequently shops with a particular merchant and wants to be rewarded for their loyalty See more cards
You can only use the Target RedCard at Target’s stores and website, so it’s best for people who are Target regulars.
While that makes it less appealing as an everyday card, the value it provides in discounts, free shipping, extended returns, and exclusive extras could make the card worth it for avid Target shoppers.
The RedCard is offering new cardholders $40 off a future purchase of $40 or more. The offer expires Oct. 11, 2020.
Generous store discount
Free two-day shipping on many items
Extended returns and other perks
No traditional rewards program
High ongoing APR
- Generous store discount: You get a 5% discount on all eligible items purchased at Target stores and on Target.com. Cards from Gap-brand stores, Macy’s, and a few other retailers offer 5% back on store purchases, but few cards outside the retail realm provide ongoing 5% rewards.
- Free two-day shipping on many items: Most Target.com shoppers need to order at least $35 worth of items to qualify for free shipping, and even then, it’ll take three to five days to arrive. With the Target RedCard, you get free standard shipping on most items and free two-day shipping on select items.
- Extended returns and other perks: Cardholders qualify for an extra 30 days on top of Target’s regular 90-day return period. You also get 10% off Hotels.com purchases, early access to select products and promotions, an anniversary, and more.
- Limited acceptance: The Target RedCard can only be used at Target stores and on Target.com. While this setup is relatively common for store credit cards, there are some that offer the ability to use the card elsewhere.
- No traditional rewards program: The card provides a 5% discount on eligible Target items, but doesn’t offer rewards that you can accumulate over time and redeem for cash back or travel or merchandise.
- High ongoing APR: The card doesn’t offer an introductory 0% APR promotion, and has no special financing promotions like some other store cards offer. Its ongoing variable APR is on the high side, so it’s best to avoid carrying a balance.
How to Get the Most Out of This Card
The card offers its 5% discount on more items than not, but it’s important to know what’s not eligible to maximize the value of the perk. You won’t get discounts on:
- Over-the-counter pharmacy items
- Eye exams
- Gift cards and other cash-like purchases
- Some in-store restaurant purchases
- Alcohol purchases in Indiana
- Gift wrap and handling fees at Target.com
- Wireless protection program purchases and mobile carrier deposits
Also, remember that the card’s free two-day shipping perk doesn’t apply to all online orders. If you need an order fast, check the item’s page to make sure it’s eligible for two-day shipping and order it before the cutoff time.
TD Bank doesn’t offer a mobile app for the Target RedCard, so you’ll need to do all your account management online. You can, however, add your card to the Target app and use your phone to check out instead of needing to have your card on hand.
You can pay your bill online, in-store, by phone, or through the mail. You have to make your online payment by 5 p.m. Central Time for it to post the same day, but payments you make at a Target Guest Services desk will post the same day, no matter what time you make the payment.
If you have questions about your account, you can call customer service or use Target’s online support chat.
Target employs fraud protection processes to monitor card activity and may contact you to verify purchases that look suspicious. However, the card does not offer zero-liability fraud protection, which is standard for many major credit cards.
This means that if someone steals your card and uses it without your permission, you may be liable for up to $50 of the fraudulent purchases, which is the limit set by the Fair Credit Billing Act.
Target RedCard Credit Card’s Fees
The Target RedCard Credit Card has few fees and none of them are out of line with industry standards.