Target is considered a pacesetter in saving shoppers money with its policy of aggressively matching the prices of its local and online competitors. Unlike a lot of retailers that stop matching prices once the Christmas holiday season is over, Target continues to do it all year long. Here's what you need to know about Target's Price Match policy.
- Target will match prices if you find an item for less at a local retailer or online competitor within 14 days of your purchase.
- Individual Target stores will also match prices for Target.com, and vice versa.
- An item must be in stock at Target and the competitor at the time you apply for a price match.
- There are several exclusions to Target's Price Match policy, so be sure to check current Target guidelines before you go in for a match.
Target's Price Match Policy
If you are buying a qualifying item and find it for less at a local competitor or one of the several online stores with which Target matches prices, or if you find an item for less in Target's or a competitor's weekly ad, Target will match the price within 14 days of your purchase.
A local retail competitor for store purchases includes retail stores located in the same market area (within a 25-mile radius) of your local Target store. When shopping at your local Target, you can check with Guest Services to see which retail stores qualify as competitors. Online competitors include major retailers such as Amazon.com, BestBuy.com, and many others.
Target will match Target.com prices for in-store purchases and in-store prices for Target.com purchases. However, it will not match in-store prices from other Target stores. In addition, the company does not price-match if Target, Target.com, or a local qualifying competitor is out of stock on an item. Target also reserves the right to limit the amount of price-matched items that you can purchase.
How Do You Apply for the Price Match?
The item must be in stock at the time of the price match and must be the identical product, brand name, size, weight, color, quantity, and model number. If it meets those criteria, then bring the proof of the lower price to Guest Services at your local Target. The proof can be a weekly advertisement from a local Target competitor (bring the entire printed advertisement) or a printout of the web page that shows the item and price. You can also use your mobile phone to show the web page with the online price displayed.
A Target employee will verify the price, check to see whether the item is in stock at the competitor's store, and then make the adjustment. For Target.com purchases, call Target.com Guest Services at 800-591-3869.
Exclusions and Stipulations
Target has a liberal Price Match policy. However, as with all retail stores, there are some exceptions and requirements.
Target will not price-match clearance items; closeouts; liquidation sales; damaged, used, or open packages; refurbished, pre-owned, or rent/lease-to-own items; storewide or non-specific offers, non-branded items, or prices that only display on a website after shoppers log in.
Target stores located in Alaska and Hawaii are excluded from price-matching online competitors. Target also does not match prices on "Marketplace" items or from third-party sellers.
Limited-time or quantity offers, daily deals, coupon offers, credit card offers, gift card offers, financing, service offers, bundled offers, sales tax promotions, free items, rebates, or mail-in offers do not qualify for price matching.
- An example of a limited-time offer: This Weekend Only! All-Clad Cookware, 50% off!
- An example of a quantity offer: Buy Five Socks for $1 each (Reg. $4 each).
- An example of a daily deal or coupon offer: $10 Off Your Total Purchase With Coupon Code: Today's Deal.
- An example of a service offer: $200 off an HP computer when you sign up for a computer installation service.
- Credit card offers, gift card offers, and financing: Generally, these are money-saving offers that take effect when you pay with one of these methods, or when you finance it through the company offering the discount.
You can't combine Target Circle offers, Target gift card offers, or Target coupons with price-matched items. The store will apply manufacturers' coupons after a price match is made. In addition, items containing alcohol are subject to state-by-state regulations.
Contract mobile phone plans or devices, optical, Target Portrait Studio, clinic and pharmacy purchases, or game reservations do not qualify for price matching.
Due to all of the Thanksgiving Day sales events, Black Friday doorbuster deals, and Midnight Madness sales that go on during the weekend after Thanksgiving, matching prices and price adjustments are not allowed from Thanksgiving Day through the entire week after Thanksgiving, whether offered by Target or a competitor.
Target's policies are subject to change. Please visit the Target Price Match Guarantee for any additional updates and changes.