Strengths and Weaknesses Interview Questions
During job interviews, there are certain types of questions that employers tend to ask, regardless of the position and company. One of the most common interview questions is, "What is your greatest weakness?," often preceded or followed by, "What is your greatest strength?" These questions can be phrased in lots of different ways, but employers ask them for the same reasons.
With these questions, the hiring manager is trying to determine what qualities you have that will help you succeed in the job if you are hired, as well as what could be problematic.
Below are interview questions and sample answers related to your strengths, weaknesses, challenges, and accomplishments. Also see below for tips on answering these kinds of questions.
How to Answer Interview Questions About Strengths and Weaknesses
When answering questions about your strengths and weaknesses, always keep the job description in mind. When addressing questions about your strengths, focus on strengths you have that are required for the job. For example, if a job requires a lot of work on team projects, you might say that you are a clear communicator who can work with diverse groups of people.
When answering questions about your weaknesses, avoid weaknesses that would make you unfit for the job. For example, if the job requires a lot of technical skill, do not say that your weakness is technology. Also, no matter what weakness you select, try to put a positive spin on your answer.
For instance, you might say that you are working to improve a particular weakness, or explain how a weakness might be considered a strength (for example, if you are a bit too detail-oriented, you can explain how this in fact helps you produce quality work).
Review the sample answers to the questions listed below.
These samples can give you ideas for how to answer these questions in an interview. However, remember to tailor your responses to fit your personal circumstances.
Interview Questions About Weaknesses
- What is your greatest weakness? - Best Answers
- What is your greatest weakness (office/administrative position)? - Best Answers
- What part of the job will be most challenging for you? - Best Answers
- How do you plan to overcome your weakness? - Best Answers
- Tell me about something you would have done differently at work. – Best Answers
- What do people most often criticize about you? - Best Answers
- When was the last time you were angry? What happened? - Best Answers
- What do you find are the most difficult decisions to make? - Best Answers
- What is the biggest criticism you received from your boss? - Best Answers
Interview Questions About Strengths
- What is your greatest strength? - Best Answers
- How will your greatest strength help you perform? - Best Answers
- What strength of yours will help you most to succeed in this job? - Best Answers
- What can we expect from you in the first 60 days on the job? - Best Answers
- What is your greatest strength (entry level position)? - Best Answers
- What is your greatest strength (office/administrative position)? - Best Answers
- What was your biggest strength as a student? - Best Answers
- Why are you the best person for the job? - Best Answers
- What motivates you? - Best Answers
- What are you passionate about? - Best Answers
- What part of the job will be the least challenging for you? - Best Answers
- What strength will help you most to succeed in the job? - Best Answers
Related Interview Questions
- How do you handle failure? - Best Answers
- How do you handle success? - Best Answers
- How do you view yourself? Who do you compare yourself to? - Best Answers
- How did you impact the bottom line at your previous job? - Best Answers
- What are your strengths and weaknesses (sales)? - Best Answers
- Describe a difficult work situation/project and how you overcame it. - Best Answers
- Describe a time when your workload was heavy and how you handled it. - Best Answers
- What major challenges and problems have you faced? How did you handle them? - Best Answers
- What was your biggest accomplishment or failure in your current position? - Best Answers
- What have you learned from your mistakes? - Best Answers
- What are your pet peeves? - Best Answers
- What can you contribute to this company? - Best Answers
- Questions about your career goals. - Best Answers
- Questions about your emotional intelligence. - Best Answers
More Interview Questions
Job Interview Questions and Answers
Browse more than a hundred common job interview questions, plus sample answers you can use to practice for a job interview.
Difficult Interview Questions
These are some of the more difficult interview questions you may be expected to respond to during a job interview.