Discover New Free Music From Up-and-Coming Artists
SoundCloud is the best music streaming website to stay on top of new and upcoming artists. Users from around the globe can upload their own audio files and songs for you to listen to at no cost.
Once you start playing something, you can navigate around SoundCloud's website but still control the playback from the pop-up media player always shown at the bottom of the website. If you tell SoundCloud what music you like, it will gather new content in the Discover section of your account.
The website is free from commercial interruptions and very easy to use for listening to music as well as finding new tracks to play.
In addition to being used through a web browser, SoundCloud works via mobile apps for Android, iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices. See the SoundCloud on Mobile page for download links.
Note: See this list of the Top Free Music Apps for even more ways you can stream music from your mobile device.
SoundCloud Pros and Cons
There's a lot to like about this music streaming service:
- Lots of content
- Constant, fresh uploads
- No advertisements during songs
- Scrubbing support means you can move back and forth through songs
- You can listen to music without creating a user account
- App has a minimalist design and is very simple to use
- Your account can be used from more than one device at once
- Your own audio files can be uploaded
- Also has podcasts
- You won't find the same songs you'll get with other music streaming services
More Information on SoundCloud
- New music can be found through genres such as Dancehall, Disco, Ambient, Country, Alternative Rock, Metal, Indie, Classical, Dubstep, Trance, World, Deep House, and others
- You can also find music on SoundCloud using the Charts page to quickly find the top 50 songs as well as what's new and hot
- The country filter lets you pick music uploaded by people in different countries like Canada, Netherlands, United States, Germany, etc.
- When searching for tracks, you can filter them by when they were uploaded, length, and license, such as ones you can use commercially or ones you can share
- Custom playlists can be built
- Songs you "like" are collected together for you to access again
- The number of times a song has been played and liked are shown below each post on SoundCloud's website
- You're able to follow other SoundCloud users to stay up to date on their new uploads
- A repeat button lets you play the same track over and over
- The desktop version of SoundCloud recommends users to follow based on your listening activity, and you can connect to your Facebook account to follow friends who are on SoundCloud
- Users can leave comments through the website
- You can share what you're listening to with others over social media sites and email
- Keyboard shortcuts (via the H key) let you quickly control playback on the desktop site
My Thoughts on SoundCloud
SoundCloud is a really neat idea because it provides a place for new artists to share their music but also for the rest of us to find new and interesting sounds and songs to stream.
I really enjoy using the mobile app. I've only used the iOS version, which means I wasn't able to upload my own audio, but listening, searching, and saving music was a breeze. There are only a few buttons on the bottom of the screen, and the menu for finding music by genre is easily accessible via a dropdown menu.
When logged in, the homepage for SoundCloud shows the latest posts made by the people you're following, which is a great way to start using the site because you can instantly see updated from the people you're interested in.
Lost of websites like SoundCloud will play commercials during songs, which can be very frustrating. Fortunately, you can listen to music free from advertisements, which isn't something you can say for most other other similar sites.