Sears Home Warranty takes service guarantees to the next level with a 180-day guarantee on covered repairs. Take advantage of one of the three service plans they offer across the United States (except Alaska), all of which include free preventative calls to keep appliances and systems in top shape.
Based on our review of over 20 home warranty providers, Sears Home Warranty was not one of the best companies we found. To see other options that may be better, visit our list of the best home warranty companies.
- Pros and Cons
- Key Takeaways
Coverage for preventive maintenance service calls
Transparency of terms and conditions for all plans
180-day guarantee on covered repairs
Nationwide coverage (excluding Alaska and Puerto Rico)
Choose your own service date when filing a claim
All plans include two free preventive maintenance check-ups each year; one heating system check-up; and one cooling system check-up
No clear pricing on website for add-on optional coverage (we had to call for pricing)
No BBB accreditation
Plans are reasonably priced but some add-on options are expensive, including central heating and pool/spas with heaters
- Plans are still being sold as Sears reorganizes due to Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
- Expect to pay between $600 and $800 a year for a Sears Home Warranty plan.
- Two preventative maintenance check-ups are provided as part of your automatic coverage to keep systems or appliances from breaking down.
- Year Founded 1999
- Coverage Nationwide coverage (excluding Alaska and Puerto Rico)
- Customer Service 24/7 online or by telephone.
- Waiting Period 30 days
- Contractor Network Sears Home Warranty uses a network of prescreened contractors.
- Service Recall Period Service work is guaranteed for 180 days.
- Number of Plans 3 plans plus optional add-on coverage
- Coverage Limit Cap per appliance is $1,000 and a cap of $10,000 for a service call related to any one covered item; coverage limit for contract term is $50,000.
- Contract Length 12 months
- Payment Options Sears may elect to replace a covered item rather than repair it. The company may also offer a repair/replacement credit or cash payment at its discretion.
- Cost Services fee of $100 Plan pricing is $49.99/mo to $69.99/mo.
- Official Website https://www.searshomeservices.com/home-warranty
Is your home budget stretched to the max because of the high cost of home repairs? Repairs don’t have to break the bank because one way to curb on spending money on them is to have a home warranty that will cover repairs and replacement of home appliances and systems when they malfunction. Sears Home Warranty is a provider we looked at when considering all the options out there. The company is a nationally recognized and respected name in home appliances and repair services.
Sears Home Warranty has been in business since 1999 and offers three main plans to existing homeowners with add-on options available for an additional cost; there are no real estate plans available.
When reviewing and evaluating the home warranty options offered by Sears Home Warranty, we considered several factors including pricing, number and types of plans, claims, customer service, BBB rating and compared its services against other home warranty companies. Read on to see if Sears Home Warranty is the right choice for your needs.
Sears Home Warranty has been in business since 1999. The company headquarters is in Hoffman Est, Illinois. It offers three home warranty plans to homeowners with optional add-on coverage available for an additional charge. Coverage is offered nationwide excluding Alaska and Puerto Rico.
|Appliance Plan||Systems Plan||Whole House Plan||Optional Coverage|
|Refrigerator with icemaker||Central air conditioner||Refrigerator with icemaker||Pool and/or Spa w/Heater|
|Built-in dishwasher||Central heating||Built-in dishwasher||Septic tank w/pumping|
|Washer||Plumbing system||Washer||Stand-alone freezer|
|Dryer||Water heater||Dryer||Sump pump|
|Range||Water softener||Range||Well pump|
|Cooktop||Faucets & toilets||Cooktop||Central air conditioner|
|Oven||Garbage disposal||Oven||Central heating|
|Built-in microwave||Plumbing stoppages||Built-in microwave||Water heater|
|Range exhaust fan||Electrical system||Range exhaust fan||Water softener|
|Built-in trash compactor||Ceiling fans||Built-in trash compactor||Refrigerator w/icemaker|
|Garage door opener||Central air conditioner||Clothes dryer|
|Central heating||Clothes washer|
|Plumbing system||Dishwasher (built-in)|
|Water heater||Microwave (built-in)|
|Faucets & toilets||Trash compactor (built-in)|
|Garbage disposal||Wall oven|
|Garage door opener|
Exclusions (Obtained from downloadable sample contract)
Some of the items excluded from Sears home warranty coverage are:
- Mechanical failure of kitchen/laundry appliances, air conditioning system and heating system due to rust and corrosion unless the failure occurs after the agreement effective date and if the items were in proper operating condition the date the agreement started.
- Automatic deodorizers; buckets; commercial units; damage to clothing; doors; door cables; door glass; door seals (other than for front load washers);
- Drawers; drip pans; exhaust fan not solely for venting range/cooktop fumes; filters and screens; food spoilage; standalone or self-contained ice makers and ice/water dispensers; external water supply lines;
- Independent telescoping range exhaust; interior lining; internal shelves; knobs and handles; light bulbs and fixtures; lock and key assemblies;
- Panels and/or cabinetry; racks; removable mini-tubs; rollers other than clothes dryer drum rollers; rooftop exhaust units; rotisseries and probes; secondary units; shelves; springs;
- Stand-alone freezers; structural components; timers and clocks (oven/range clock-timers are excluded unless failure prohibits normal cooking function); trays; dishwasher and trash compactor tubs;
- Venting; conditions of water flow restriction due to scale, minerals, and other deposits.
- Chimneys, flues, and liners; cleaning and re-lighting of burners; concrete encased or inaccessible ductwork; concrete encased steam or radiant heating coils or lines; conditions of water flow restriction due to scale, minerals and other deposits;
- Fossil fuel control systems and other energy management systems and controls; dampers; asbestos insulated ductwork or piping; electric baseboard heat unless primary heating system is in home.
- Filters (including electronic/electrostatic and de-ionizing filter systems);
- Fireplaces and their respective components and gas lines; free-standing or portable heating units;
- Fuel storage tanks, lines, and filters; gas log systems, including gas feed lines; humidifiers; inaccessible water/steam lines leading to or from system; individual space heaters; maintenance and cleaning; panels and/or cabinetry;
- Pressure regulators; radiant heating systems built into walls, floors or ceilings; registers and grills; secondary units; solar heating devices and components; and structural components;
With Sears Home Warranty, you can choose your own service date when filing a claim.
Sears Home Warranty caps apply to repair or replacement of systems, appliances or components in excess of $10,000 due to a mechanical failure of a single, covered item. The cap per appliance is $1,000. The aggregate (limit) for all claims per contract term is $50,000.
With Sears Home Warranty, you can choose your own service date when filing a claim. Sears states in its warranty contract that it will strive to provide a referral to an approved independent service contractor within two hours after your claim is received during normal business working hours and within 24 hours for any claims made after hours or on holidays/weekends. Sears provides a 180-day guarantee on all covered repairs which is one of the best guarantees we’ve seen among home warranty companies.
To request service for replacement/repair of a covered item, call 1-855-256-2467 or you may submit a claim online on the website www.placemySEARSclaim.com. Both the customer service/claims phone number and website allow you to submit a claim 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Sears Home Warranty has no rating with the BBB and does not have a BBB accreditation. It has a 1-out-of-5 star average rating. There is a current BBB alert for the parent company, Sears Holdings Corporation. You can read more about the BBB alert to see if you still feel comfortable signing up for up a plan.
While Sears has great brand recognition, it behooves homeowners to shop rates around to find the best deal.
The cost of Sears Home Warranty plans are $49.99/month to $69.99/month along with a service fee of $100 for a whole house plan. The company sometimes offers sign-up discounts including one month of free service. All plans include two free preventive maintenance check-ups each year: one heating system check-up and one cooling system check-up. Pricing and benefits may vary by state.
We compared plan prices from several states and all the ones we checked (California, New York, Missouri, Oregon, Louisiana, and Florida) had the same pricing: Appliance Plan $49.99; Systems Plan $59.99; and Whole House Plan $69.99. Optional coverage for plans that do not include these options are listed below.
|Optional Coverage||Cost In All States|
|Washer or dryer||$12|
|Central air conditioning||$85|
|Garage door opener||$24|
|Pool and/or spa with heater||$190|
|Septic tank with pumping||$60|
Sears is a trusted name in home appliances and repair services.
The Competition: Sears Home Warranty vs. AFC Home Club (America’s 1st Choice)
Sears Home Warranty and AFC Home Club (America's 1st Choice) both offer multiple plans along with additional coverage options. Both companies also offer nationwide coverage with the exception of a few states. AFC offers homeowners home warranty plans and home warranty plans for real estate professionals while Sears only offers its home warranty plans to existing homeowners. The costs of AFC’s plans range from $400 to $700 yearly while Sears’ plans range from $600 to $800 yearly. AFC Home Club has a “B” rating, while Sears has no rating. Likewise, AFC Home Club is BBB accredited while Sears Home Warranty is not.
Sears is a trusted name in home appliances and repair services. It has three homeowner plans designed to fit most home budgets and is a good choice to consider when searching for home repair coverage, so if you're looking for a real estate plan, you will need to look elsewhere. The company has a favorable customer service record with an “A-” rating with the Better Business Bureau. However, it is important to note the BBB alert for its parent company, Sears Holdings Corporation, so it's wise to proceed with caution.
There are several aspects to think about in choosing a home warranty. To help readers pick the plan that works best for them, we developed a methodology for reviewing home warranties. A quantified scoring system, we evaluate plan pricing, exclusions, payout caps, repair times, and terms, comparing them to other carriers across the industry. Third-party ratings and customer satisfaction scores are factored in to help assess an insurer's overall quality and value.