Sample Rejection Letter After an Interview
Send This Rejection Letter Following Your First Interview with a Candidate
Send a Rejection Letter After a First Interview
In many companies, a job applicant is invited for an initial interview during which a basic assessment of his or her skills, experience, and potential cultural fit occurs. In some companies one individual conducts this interview. Increasingly, companies recognize the power of a candidate meeting more employees.
Multiple interviews are becoming the norm as employers strive to select superior employees.
Consequently, the job candidate may be interviewing to obtain a second interview. You can use this rejection letter after a first interview to notify a candidate that he or she did not make the cut for a second interview.
The following is a sample rejection letter for a candidate who did not qualify for a second interview. This candidate was less qualified than other interviewees. He or she receives this rejection letter following the first interview.
Rejection Letter Sample Following Interview
Name of Candidate
City, State, Zip Code
Dear (Candidate Name):
We appreciate the time you took to come for an interview for our administrative assistant position at McColl's. You were not selected to return for additional interviews. We received applications from many qualified candidates, several of whom have more experience working with our Human Resources Information System, a key job requirement.
Thank you for interviewing with our team. Everyone enjoyed meeting you and we hope that you consider applying for our open positions for which you qualify in the future.
We wish you success with your current job search. We appreciate your interest in our company.
Real Person's Name and Signature
Example: HR Director for the Employee Selection Team
Disclaimer – Please Note:
Susan Heathfield makes every effort to offer accurate, common-sense, ethical Human Resources management, employer, and workplace advice both on this website, and linked to from this website, but she is not an attorney, and the content on the site, while authoritative, is not guaranteed for accuracy and legality, and is not to be construed as legal advice.
The site has a world-wide audience and employment laws and regulations vary from state to state and country to country, so the site cannot be definitive on all of them for your workplace. When in doubt, always seek legal counsel or assistance from State, Federal, or International governmental resources, to make certain your legal interpretation and decisions are correct. The information on this site is for guidance, ideas, and assistance only.
Standard Application Acknowledgement Letter
More About Sample Candidate Rejection Letters
- See a standard applicant rejection letter that you use to respond to applicants who are not as qualified as the applicants you decide to interview.
- See another sample, simple rejection letter sample for applicants whom you reject without an interview.
- Here is another sample rejection letter for applicants whom you choose not to invite for an interview.
- Here is a sample rejection letter for a candidate who did not appear to be a good fit for your company culture.
- See another sample rejection letter for use when you’d like the candidate to interview for a different job in your company.
- Here is a sample rejection letter for a candidate you hope applies again in the future: good cultural fit.
- Find another sample rejection letter for an applicant whom you hope reapplies in the future.
- This is a rejection letter for a candidate who was not selected following a first interview.
- Find a sample rejection letter for a candidate who is rejected following an interview.
- Here is a sample rejection letter for a candidate who was not selected following a second interview.
- Find out more about how to write job candidate rejection letters.
Letters for Successful Candidates
What if the candidate you are contacting was successful in his or her application? Following are sample job offer letters to let the candidate know the good news.