Safeco Insurance Company Review
Safeco Insurance is a member of the Liberty Mutual Group, the fifth largest property and casualty insurer in the U.S., and has been in business since 1923. Hawthorne K. Dent founded Safeco Insurance, originally named the "General Insurance Company of America." The company's headquarters in Seattle, Washington with Michael Hughes serving as President. Safeco has the rights to the name of the Seattle Mariners' baseball stadium called "Safeco Field." The company has over 4 million customers nationwide and has assets of over $6 billion.
Safeco services its products through a local agent network of over 9,000 agents across the country and prides itself on a comprehensive line of insurance products and responsive customer service.
You do not have to worry about the financial solvency of Safeco. Safeco Insurance has the financial stability of the Liberty Mutual Group to back it up. Liberty Mutual Insurance has financial strength ratings of "A-" Strong from Standard & Poor's, "A2" Good from Moody's and an "A" Excellent rating with A.M. Best. Liberty Mutual Insurance has also been ranked in the top 100 largest U.S. Corporations by Fortune.
As a customer of Safeco Insurance, you will find a comprehensive line of insurance products including:
- Auto: Auto insurance options from Safeco include liability (bodily injury/property damage), comprehensive, collision, roadside assistance, rental reimbursement, uninsured/underinsured motorist, personal injury protection, medical payments, loan/lease coverage, electronic key replacement, CD and DVD replacement, custom equipment coverage, pet coverage and personal property coverage. Safeco also offers reimbursement for first aid, accident forgiveness and a diminishing deductible.
- Homeowners: Homeowners insurance options include coverage for your home and other building on your property, liability protection, additional living expenses, identity recovery valuable articles, equipment breakdown, and personal property replacement. You have the option of combining your home and auto package for a single loss deductible. Discounts include new home discount, home burglar alarm, multi-policy, paid in full or you can choose a higher deductible.
- Renters: Renters coverage is available for personal belongings as well as liability coverage, living expenses, identity recover, valuable articles, and personal property replacement cost. You can receive a multi-policy discount or a paid in full discount. You can also choose a higher deductible to save money.
- Condo: Condi insurance covers repairs to the inside of your condo unit, personal property, liability, additional living expenses, identity recover, valuable article, and personal property replacement cost. By combining your condo and auto policies, you can become eligible for a single loss deductible.
- Boat/Watercraft: Boat/Watercraft insurance options include liability, med pay, physical damage, uninsured/underinsured motorist, agreed value coverage, personal effects coverage, fuel spill, new boat price protection, on-water/emergency assistance, and wreckage removal, with coverage to 75 miles at sea.
- Classic car: Coverage options include bodily injury, property damage, personal injury protection, medical payments, uninsured/underinsured motorist, comprehensive, collision, roadside assistance, emergency assistance, and personal property protection. A diminishing deductible option is available. Discounts are available for anti-theft devices, accident prevention courses, winter storage, multi-vehicle and multi-policy.
- Motorcycle: Motorcycle coverage options include bodily injury, guest passenger liability, property damage liability, uninsured/underinsured motorist, comprehensive, collision, medical payments, helmet, jacket, boots and glove replacement, custom parts and equipment, roadside assistance. Several discounts are available including motorcycle safety course, homeowners discount, riding club discount, and higher deductible options.
- RV coverage: RV options include bodily injury, property damage liability, personal injury protection, medical payments, uninsured/underinsured motorist, comprehensive, collision, roadside assistance, emergency assistance, loan/lease protection, custom equipment, electronic key replacement, and pet coverage. Several discounts are available including accident prevention course, anti-theft devices, multi-policy and winter storage.
- Umbrella: Umbrella insurance is extra coverage that can be added to an underlying policy in $1 million increments up to $5 million. Adding an umbrella policy to your homeowner's insurance may qualify you for a lower rate in most states.
- Landlord protection: Landlord coverage includes premises liability, protection against libel/slander, wrongful eviction and wrongful claims. Extended dwelling coverage is available to help pay for unexpected repairs and rebuilding costs that exceed the amount covered by your base policy. You can combine a landlord and homeowners policy for a 5 percent savings. A multi-policy discount is also available.
Safeco offers a number of attractive auto insurance discounts to its policyholders including a package policy discount, safe driving discounts, and teen driving discounts. With the auto insurance policy, you can elect to enroll in an accident forgiveness program called Safeco Rewind. This program rewards safe drivers through the use of a telematics device installed in the automobile. The device monitors driving habits and reports back to the insurer. After a 4-month evaluation period, you can have surcharges for accidents and tickets waived from your auto insurance premium.
Auto policyholders also have access to Safeco's mobile insurance application.
On the website, Safeco recommends that you visit one of their local agents to make sure you are getting the best value and price for your insurance policy, although you can get a quote while visiting the website.
To receive an insurance quote, you can visit the Safeco Insurance Website, call 1-800-4-Safeco or use the agent locator to visit a local agent.
Safeco Insurance is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau. While businesses are under no obligation to seek BBB accreditation, it does gives customers a way to know how the company handles customer complaints. Even though Safeco Insurance itself is not BBB accredited, its parent company, Liberty Mutual Group, has been accredited since 1931 and has an "A" rating with the BBB. In researching Safeco customer complaints, we found complaints of customers who claim that Safeco underpaid their claims.
However, there are also many positive reviews of the company in the area of customer service. Safeco offers a 24/7 claims assistance hotline with access online for customers to check the status of a claim.
The website is easy to navigate and offers a comprehensive explanation of the insurance products offered. In addition to being able to find a local agent or receive an insurance quote, you can also access helpful resources including consumer tips, insurance terms definitions, videos on insurance related topics and disaster preparedness information.
- Excellent financial stability
- 24/7 claims and customer service
- Comprehensive line of insurance products
- Competitive insurance rates
- User-friendly website
- Customer service available 24/7
- Complaints of claims being underpaid
The Bottom Line
Safeco Insurance is a financially sound insurance company that offers a wide variety of insurance products to its customers. You have the option of using the website to take care of your insurance needs or you can also visit with a local agent. This is kind of like having the best of both worlds; easy access to account information 24/7 as well as the ability to sit down and discuss your coverage. Even though there have been a few complaints about the company underpaying claims, the rates are competitive and customers rank customer service and claims services better than average.