The Armed Forces Insurance Company (AFI) offers insurance coverage to members of the armed forces stationed stateside or abroad. The company began operations as an army garrison located in Leavenworth, Kansas in 1887. Coverage is available for auto, home, renters, and business insurance. Some insurance products are underwritten through partnerships with other insurers.
To qualify for membership with Armed Forces Insurance (AFI), you must meet one of the following criteria:
- Active duty, retired, or honorably discharged service member, including Reserves, National Guard, and Coast Guard
- Department of Defense civilian employee who is actively employed or retired
- A surviving spouse or a spouse of any retired, honorably discharged, or active duty service member, including Reserves, National Guard, and Coast Guard
- Active, retired, or former commissioned officer of the NOAA or PHS
- ROTC cadet or Merchant Marine Service Academy
- Former AFI member (life-long membership)
- A dependent of a current or former member of AFI
- A former spouse of an AFI member (current or former)
AFI offers military members and Army family members. Coverage options include:
- Auto Insurance: Auto coverage options include auto liability, personal injury protection (PIP), medical payments, collision, comprehensive, uninsured/underinsured motorist, rental reimbursement, emergency roadside assistance.
- Homeowners Insurance: Standard homeowners insurance policies are available with options to purchase additional coverage for excess personal liability, special coverage for high-value items, replacement cost endorsement, personal property replacement cost endorsement, endorsement to extend coverage to other members of your household, other structures coverage on/off premises, ordinance of law endorsement, as well as additional residence and identity fraud. Discounts are available for protective devices and newer homes.
- Dwelling Fire: The dwelling fire policy provides basic coverage for the following: rental homes, vacation homes, non-owner occupied homes, secondary homes, vacant homes, and owner-occupied homes. The coverage insures the structure of the home (walls, roof, flooring, cabinetry, and countertops) and the attached fixtures. There are additional coverage options as well: other structures, personal property, loss of use/rent, premises liability, theft/burglary, vandalism, and medical payments to others.
- Renters Insurance: The renter's policy covers your personal property, personal liability, or damage to your apartment caused by a covered loss such as fire, theft, or water damage. You can purchase varying amounts of coverage based on your estimate of the value of your personal property. Additional optional coverage includes: additional living expenses, debris removal trees/shrubs or other plants, loss assessment, building additions, government assigned housing, identity fraud expense coverage, and a business property endorsement.
- Business Insurance: Business coverage options available through AFI include coverage for business assets, business liability, business auto, workers' compensation, builder's risk, special event liability insurance, and other customized business policies.
Member Services and Resources
As an AFI member, you have access to Identity Theft Advocacy Services (free advocacy services powered by CyberScout including resolutions services and fraud education) and an online tool, MyHomeWorks (Interactive tools to help you save money, inventory your personal property, and more).
Resources are available on the website explaining auto/insurance, an insurance glossary, and fraud prevention. There is also information available about post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) including a PTSD card that you can carry to alert others of the possible impact of your condition including triggers where symptoms could be triggered. Permanent change of station (PCS) resources are available to help you make a smooth transition with your insurance coverage, real estate, schools and more.
Customer Service/Financial Stability Ratings/Affiliations
The Armed Forces Insurance Company does not have an accreditation form the Better Business Bureau but it does have an “A+” BBB rating scorecard. Companies are under no obligation to seek BBB accreditation.
AFI has an A.M. Best financial stability rating of B+ (Good) with a stable outlook. AFI has affiliations with Demotech, Inc., The Association of the United States Army (AUSA), The National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (NAMIC), Property Casualty Insurers of America (PCI), and the Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS).
There is a mix of online customer reviews, both negative and positive. Negative reviews involve denying claims, the price of coverage, and customer service complaints. On the positive side, some customers thought the rates were reasonable and there was good customer service.
Yelp.com reviews rated the company only 1.5 out of 5 stars. You can also read the Yelp customer review of Armed Forces Insurance.
To learn more about all of the insurance products and eligibility for coverage, prospective members can visit Armed Forces Insurance, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-495-8234. Current members can email email@example.com or call 800-255-6792. Hours of service are 7:30 am – 6:30 pm. CST Monday through Friday. The mailing address is 550 Eisenhower Rd., Leavenworth, KS 66048.