Sample Resume with a Section on Accomplishments
Adding an accomplishments section to your resume is a great way to demonstrate your greatest achievements and areas of expertise as they relate to the job you’re applying for.
With an accomplishments section, you can demonstrate to employers that you are an achiever, someone who adds value to a company, and someone who goes beyond the basic job duties.
Read below for tips on adding an accomplishments section to your resume, and see a sample resume with an accomplishments section.
Here are some tips for writing an accomplishment section for your resume.
Before writing your resume, spend some time listing all of your work-related accomplishments. Think about praise you’ve received, awards and promotions you’ve been given, and any special responsibilities you’ve handled. If you’re having trouble thinking of achievements, look back at your past performance evaluations. You might also ask a supervisor or coworker for ideas.
Focus on the Job You’re Applying For
Look at your brainstorming list, and circle any accomplishments that relate to the job you’re applying for. Look back at the job listing to get a sense of what the employer is looking for in a candidate.
Focus on Results
When you include an accomplishment on your resume, highlight the specific outcome or benefit to your employer. This will show the hiring manager that you can add value to the company.
One way to show you can add value to a company is to include numbers in your list of accomplishments.
For example, if you saved a company money, increased sales, improved efficiency, or helped increase clientele, you can express these achievements using numbers.
Use Power Words
Say Something Different
Make sure you don’t simply repeat language from other sections of your resume. In particular, make sure your accomplishments section lists achievements that are different than those you include in your work history section.
Resume Example with an Accomplishments Section
12345 Ghost St, Somewhere City, AR 77777
c: 554-112-3330 e: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dynamic entrepreneur who utilizes creativity, leadership, and teamwork to design and execute solutions that create customer value. Effective communicator with ability to create marketing materials that convey value for both clients and end users.
Additional Areas of Expertise
Client Relations ~ Process Improvement ~ Forecasting
Project Design & Management ~ Budget Planning & Development
- Created an Internet Marketing Company that designs and manages websites for independent contractors utilizing new search engine techniques to increase customers
- Sold interests in start-up for 600% ROI in 1 year
- Developed and handled marketing campaigns and budgets for a variety of businesses in different industries and markets
- Extensive experience handling a variety of different clientele through various levels of communication, from independent agents, to college deans, to independent contractors
- MBA graduate with emphasis in Marketing, Finance and Entrepreneurship
- CEO of Gotebo 20XX Business Plan Competition, Honorable Mention at the Big 42 Competition, business plan became company later that year
Sacks Media, North, OK (20XX - Present)
Partner / Co-Founder
- Handle all marketing and advertising budgets for internet media start-up
- Design all marketing and advertising material for Sagax and various spin-offs (cityelectrician.com)
- Coordinate efforts with Sack’s 2 other operating partners on all projects and planning
- Design websites for usage and feel, limited programming duties
Gotebo University, Registrar’s Office, Gotebo, TX (20XX – 20XX)
Senior Office Assistant/Student Worker
- Responsible for all Registrar publications, editing, formatting and budgeting, including University Course Catalog, a full compilation of colleges, degrees, and courses provided by the university
- Coordinated with deans, department heads, faculty, and other academic personnel in scheduling all university classes, optimizing time, space, and instructional needs of faculty and students
- Initiated classroom directory, allowing faculty and students to view classroom setup and location
- Proposed and presented technological advancements for Registrar’s office to Faculty Council and other committees to improve information transfer between departments and registrar
Cottontale Financial, Ltd., Maysaw, AK (20XX - 20XX)
Corporate Trainer/ Operations Support Staff
- Responsible for all aspects of in-store employment (hiring, training, coaching, and termination)
- Provided customer/store support, involving problem solving, procedural changes, and corrections
- Analyzed and rewrote procedures/training manuals to improve efficiency and customer service
- Designed flexible training program for in-store employees for technical and non-technical users
Paradise Lost Group, Gotebo, TX (20XX – 20XX)
- Coordinated all marketing efforts, including management of three field representatives
- Served current and prospective clients in all aspects of marketing products, including customer service issues, re-evaluating procedures, and identification and acquisition of larger clients
- Used and maintained contact software to organize and manage over 500 independent agents
- Redesigned website to better serve contracted insurance agents
- Designed presentation materials to better display the value of our product vis-à-vis competitors
MBA, Gotebo University
BBA, University of Massachusetts
Gotebo MBA Club
CEO of 20XX Gotebo Business Plan Competition, Big 42 honorable mention
Member of Gotebo Alumni Association
Mass Marketing Club
Social Chair for Strong Hall (University of Mass, 20XX- 20XX)
Member of Mass Alumni Association
3-sport athlete, earned 10 varsity letters, 2-year Captain of Baseball and Basketball teams