Resume Example With a Profile Section
This resume example includes a profile section with an overview of the skills the writer has that qualify them for the job. Like a cover letter, a profile section should be tailored to each specific job to which you are applying; be specific and include the qualifications you have that are mentioned in the job posting. This way, the person reviewing your resume will be able to see at a glance that you have the credentials they are seeking.
What to Call a Profile Section
Profile sections can be given various titles on resumes: “Qualifications Profile,” “Overview,” “Qualifications Summary.” For C-level job candidates (corporate leaders like Chief Executive Officers/CEOs, Chief Financial Officers/CFOs, or Chief Operations Officers/COOs), they are often titled “Executive Summary.”
What to Include in a Resume Profile
You can include both hard skills and soft skills in your profile section, depending upon the stipulations of the job advertisement.
If you have a significant amount of experience in the career field to which you are applying (3 or more years), it will strengthen your resume if you give this pride of place and mention it at the very beginning of the profile section. One proviso, however: although it is illegal, many employers are guilty of “ageism” and may screen out older job candidates in favor of younger ones. If you have more than 15 years of professional experience, simply use the phrase “15+ years’ experience” in your qualifications profile.
With the exception of certain C-level and academic positions, it’s best not to describe more than 15 years of experience on a resume either in the profile or in the following “Professional Experience” section (for more information, please see “How Many Years of Experience to List on a Resume”).
Also review these examples of profiles for a variety of occupations that will get your job application noticed.
Resume Example With a Profile Section
100 Ordway St.
Boston, MA 02215
Home 618-555-5518 Cell 580-555-0088
Driven guidance counselor with 10+ years’ experience teaching and advising high school students. Fluent in Spanish; skilled at communicating and developing relationships with ESL students and their families. Developing knowledge of American Sign Language. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Master of Science, Counseling, XYZ University, Boston, MA
Bachelor of Education, ABC College, Saratoga Springs, NY
Guidance Counselor, Whitman Charter High School, Boston, MA
Sept. 2009 – Present
Provide one-on-one and group academic counseling to 300-member student body at innovative charter high school focused on vigorous college planning and preparation. Meet individually with students to discuss courses, grades, behavior, college applications, and other issues and concerns. Maintain contact with parents and guardians of students to develop a network of support and communication around each student.
• Design and teach weekly course for high school seniors on college application process.
• Created and updated database of scholarship opportunities for student use.
• Conceptualized and launched new family educational / support program to ensure success of ESL and underrepresented students who would be the first in their family to apply for and attend college.
• Implemented use of new data program in the counseling office to help counselors track student progress.
Assistant College Counselor, Levine Academy, Boston, MA
Sept. 2007 – July 2009
Met individually with high school seniors to discuss all aspects of the college application process, including college review and selection, application and essay preparation, transcript acquisition, and the financial aid application process.
• Taught summer courses on college application process to ESL students and their families.
• Organized college admission visits to the high school; moderated Q&A sessions and organized student interviews.
English Teacher’s Aide, Whitman Charter High School, Boston, MA
Aug. 2006 – July 2007
Honed expertise in teaching ESL students from a wide variety of cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
• Led reading groups with ESL students during class to improve reading and comprehension.
• Graded daily homework, essays, and other assignments.
• Awarded Outstanding Aide of the Year for excellent work performance.
Assistant Teacher, Sunrise Preschool, Saratoga Springs, NY
Sept. 2003 – May 2006
Leveraged undergraduate training in pre-K-12 education and ESL to create a positive, safe, and engaging learning environment for a local pre-school with a significant number of immigrant children.
• Worked with ESL children to improve English language skills.
• Greeted parents and discussed their children’s progress each day to promote communication between teachers and families.
• Assisted teachers in daily activities and projects.