Quicken Won't Download or Update Bank Transactions
Solutions to Bank Transaction Download and Update Problems in Quicken
Several issues could be causing your Quicken finance software to fail at downloading and updating transactions, from issues with account settings to server maintenance at your financial institution. These common issues and suggestions can help resolve these issues when Quicken isn't updating your transactions correctly.
No Internet Connection
Check to make sure you have a working internet connection by visiting a website, such as Google or Bing. If you're able to connect to a site and perform a search, then your internet connection is likely not the problem.
Financial Institution Servers Offline
If you're having trouble downloading transactions, next look to the financial institution from which you're attempting to download the transactions. Often, banks and online brokerages will post a notice on their website or send out an email alert to customers if they will be performing any maintenance that will impact access to your data.
Check the bank website for notices, and check your email for a message from your financial institution regarding planned outages, maintenance, or scheduled downtime. You may simply need to wait a few hours before you can complete a download.
Incorrect Account Settings in Quicken
If server maintenance isn't an issue, check the account information in your Quicken settings against the information from your financial institution on how to set up Quicken downloads. Also, there may be an issue if you recently changed your financial institution account password through their website.
Also, find out if there was any suspicious activity or other security concern with your account that may have prompted the financial institution to reset your password or lock your account. If you're unsure but cannot access your account, contact their customer support for assistance.
Issues at the Bank
In some cases, you'll be missing transactions because they haven't yet cleared the bank, such as a check. The bank likely marked the transaction as pending, and won't include the transaction in your download until it's fully completed.
If you attempt to manually download your bank transactions using WebConnect, you might miss transactions because the bank won't allow you to download the most recent transactions until your monthly statement has closed.
Missing Quicken Entries
If you're having trouble with just one or a few transactions, you might need to go through your Quicken data to locate them. In some cases, you might find a missing transaction because it was previously deleted.
Quicken won't automatically re-download deleted transactions, so you'll need to re-enter the transaction manually. Check to see if a missing transaction was moved to another account register, or if the missing transaction could have been incorrectly matched to another transaction in your company's account register.
Specific Error Message and Code
If you get a specific error message and code when attempting to access your financial institution to download and update transactions, check the error code on Quicken's website for a specific explanation of what may be happening.
Common Quicken error messages you may receive include:
- Error CC-501: This is not a problem with your financial institution, but rather an issue with Quicken. Check the error page for solutions.
- Error CC-506: This error can result when Quicken attempts to access a financial institution account that has been closed, or the account number or information has changed on the financial institution's website.
- Error CC-508: This is likely caused when your financial institution has changed its website, added a new web page, or introduced a pop-up window, such as a request to verify or update your personal contact information, that requires an action by you to continue.
If your Quicken settings look correct compared to recommendations from your financial institution (FI), try these steps:
- Call or email your financial institution and ask if anything has changed with the Quicken setup, or if they are having problems with their file servers.
- Wait a couple of hours and then attempt to download transactions again. Beyond scheduled maintenance or downtimes for a financial institution, there may also be an unscheduled outage or even a temporary internet outage between you and your financial institution that is beyond their control but is preventing access to their servers.
- Visit the Quicken Community Support website, which has solutions for frequent issues listed under various categories.
- If you don't find your answer on the Quicken Community Support site, call Quicken Customer service.
It can be frustrating when certain applications do not perform as expected, such as those that assist with downloading or updating banking transactions. These instructions should assist you in troubleshooting any issues you may face when performing these functions.