Who Is This Credit Card Best For?
Flies regularly and likes finding ways to score even more travel—for free See more cards
Diligently searches for the best products and delights in a good bargain See more cards
Hits the road often, whether for work or play See more cards
Loves to explore places and experience new things See more cards
Are you a regular Priceline.com user, or wouldn’t mind becoming one? If so, this card might be right for you. Not only will you earn more points on Priceline purchases, but your points are more valuable when you redeem them for travel purchases you make through the website. This structure makes the card a great fit for travelers who don’t want to be tied to a particular airline or hotel brand, want to earn rewards without paying an annual fee.
Lucrative rewards for Priceline shoppers
Unique balance transfer offer
Excellent redemption rate on Priceline.com
Points rebate for travel redemptions
Meager rewards on non-Priceline purchases
Few extra benefts
- Lucrative rewards for Priceline shoppers: Hotels, airfare, vacation packages, and other travel booked on Priceline earn 5 points per $1 spent on those purchases. That’s a higher rate of return for travel purchases than you’ll earn on most competing travel rewards cards.
- Unique balance transfer offer: This card gives you 15 full billing cycles with 0% interest on balance transfers, and you’ll earn 1 point per $1 on the first $5,000 you transfer within 30 days. Few travel-focused cards offer this long of a 0% period and even fewer reward you with points for balance transfers.
- Excellent redemption rate on Priceline.com: Your points get a 50% boost when you redeem them for travel purchases on Priceline.com, and an additional 10% bonus sent to your account within one business day. This pairing of a boost and a bonus is rare among travel cards.
- Points rebate for travel redemptions: When you redeem your points for Priceline or other eligible travel purchases, you’ll get 10% of your points back to use toward your next redemption.
If you want to take advantage of the balance transfer offer and extra points, make sure you do it soon. You can only transfer a balance over for the first 45 days after you open the card.
- Meager rewards on non-Priceline purchases: Points are worth 1 cent each (more on that below). Earning 5% back on Priceline purchases is great, but earning just 1% back on everything else you buy is disappointing. Many rewards credit cards give out more than 1% back on regular purchases.
- Few extra benefits: Some travel-focused cards come with good perks, like rental car insurance, travel accident insurance, or purchase protection. However, the Priceline Rewards Visa Card does not.
Priceline Rewards Visa Card Bonus for New Cardholders
The Priceline Rewards Visa Card does offer a welcome bonus, but it’s only so-so. Once you spend $1,000 within 90 days, you can earn 10,000 bonus points. It’s easy to reach, but the payoff is mediocre.
The bonus is worth up to $120, depending on how you redeem your points. A bonus of that amount is below average for a card of this kind. Many cards offer bonuses worth at least $150, with some providing more than $200 in value.
You’ll also receive 1 point per $1 transferred on up to $5,000 in balance transfers made within the first 30 days of account opening.
Earning Points & Rewards
This card’s earning structure is easy and straightforward. You’ll earn 5 points per $1 spent on eligible Priceline purchases, which includes:
- Name Your Own Price
- Express Deals
- Pay Now bookings
- Trip Protection
Non-Priceline purchases earn 1 point per $1 you spend. There are no limits to the number of points you can earn from purchases.
This card lets you redeem rewards for statement credits in amounts of $25 or greater for purchases made within the previous 120 days.
If you redeem for statement credits to cover regular purchases, you’ll get 1 cent per point in value. If you redeem your rewards to cover Priceline.com purchases made with your card, on the other hand, you’ll get 1.5 cents in value.
Other redemption options include gift cards (starting at 3,000 points for a $25 card, or 0.83 cents per point in value) or merchandise ordered through your online account.
How to Get the Most Out of This Card
Use the Priceline Rewards Visa Card for all your Priceline.com purchases in order to maximize this 5% earning category. Then, redeem your rewards for more Priceline.com purchases to get the best value. You can also consider transferring any high-interest balances to this card to benefit from the 0% APR offer and the 1% back you’ll receive. But remember: You’ll pay a 3% fee on the amount you transfer, which could exceed what you earn in rewards from the transfer.
Since this card only gives you 1% back on regular purchases, we suggest pairing it with another cash-back credit card that will give you a higher rate of return.
Priceline Rewards Visa Card’s Other Features
- Concierge for booking event tickets, travel, and other services
Barclays, this card’s issuer, ranked fifth out of 11 national issuers in J.D. Power’s 2019 U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study.
Customers have access to phone support, as well as a mobile app you can manage your account, lock your card if it’s lost or stolen, set spending limits, and even control how your card can be used to make payments (online, over the phone, in-person, etc.). Barclays offers complimentary access to your FICO credit score online or via the mobile app, too.
Barclays offers standard security features including login encryption and account monitoring for fraudulent activity. You can also set up account alerts that make it easier to monitor your purchases and your account, and there’s zero liability for any fraudulent purchases.
Priceline Rewards Visa Card Fees
Fees on this card are standard for the industry, although the lack of foreign transaction fees makes this card a good option if you travel outside the country. If you live in Iowa, you’ll pay a reduced late-payment fee of up to $15.