- Trust, estate, and tax attorney with two law degrees from Boston University School of Law
- Wrote about estate planning, probate, trusts, and tax issues for The Balance
- Educates tax and legal professionals, students, and clients on her areas of expertise through writing, teaching, and speaking engagements
Patti S. Spencer, Esq. is a former writer for The Balance with expertise in estate and tax planning topics. After receiving her law degree and a graduate degree in taxation, Spencer worked as an attorney, then managed a $400 million personal trust department for a large bank before leaving to start her own law practice.
Spencer taught courses on gift taxation, trusts and estates, and estate planning at Boston University School of Law for eight years, and taught federal income taxation at Franklin and Marshall College in Pennsylvania. She has been writing for over 18 years, authoring two books and numerous articles on estate and tax matters.
- LL.M, Boston University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
Major: Taxation (Graduate Tax Program)
- J.D., Boston University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- B.A., Dickinson College, Carlisle, Pennsylvania
About The Balance and Dotdash
The Balance makes personal finance easy to understand. It is home to experts who provide clear, practical advice on managing your money. Whether you’re looking to invest, buy a home, save for retirement, or achieve another financial goal, The Balance will answer your questions with straightforward personal financial advice.
The Balance is part of the Dotdash publishing family. For more than 20 years, Dotdash brands have been helping people find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. We are one of the top-20 largest content publishers on the internet, according to comScore, and reach more than 30% of the U.S. population every month. Most recently, Dotdash was named Publisher of the year by Digiday, a leading industry publication.