Installation Overview --Marine Corps Base Hawaii Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii


Front Gate or H3 gate. Photo courtesy of U.S. Marine Corps

Marine Corps Base Hawaii (MCBH) Kaneohe Bay is often referred to as K-Bay. It is located on the island of Oahu's Windward side on Mokapu Peninsula. K-Bay is the largest Marine Corps element on Oahu. The other major installation comprising MCBH is Camp H.M. Smith, overlooking Pearl Harbor, and it is the headquarters for the Commander, U.S. Pacific Command, Joint Task Force Full Accounting, Commander U.S. Marine Corps Forces Pacific, and the Commander Special Operations Command Pacific. MCBH is ideally positioned in the Pacific for a strategic deployment to the Western Pacific.

MCBH's mission is to provide facilities and services that support Combat Readiness and promote the well-being, morale, and safety of military and civilian personnel that live and work aboard the installation. We enhance Combat Readiness by providing the best training facilities in the world and by providing the best quality of service.

Location/Driving Directions

Marine Corps Base Hawaii (MCBH) Kaneohe Bay is located on the island of Oahu's Windward side on Mokapu Peninsula, and is 20 miles northeast of the Honolulu International Airport.

If arriving via Honolulu International Airport, it's recommended you use the USO services (located at the arrival section between "E" & "F" baggage claim area) to contact your future command and/or request for transportation assistance. There is no public transportation directly to the installation. Taxi/cab fares are approximately $45.00 - $55.00 and are reimbursable travel expensive. Ensure to ask for a military discount and for a receipt.

To MCBH K-Bay from the Honolulu International Airport.

* Take the H-1 Freeway West (H1 Waianae) as you're departing from the Honolulu International Airport.
* Proceed on H-1 West, and then connect on to the H-3 East freeway to Kaneohe.
* Proceed on H-3 until you reach the main gate of MCBH Kaneohe Bay.

Main Phone Numbers

Photo courtesy U.S. Marine Corps; Photo by Kristen Wong, Photojournalist

Area code for all numbers is 808

DSN is 457

American Red Cross 257-8848

American Red Cross - After Hours 1-8770272-7337

Animal Care Clinic 257-3643

Armed Services YMCA 254-4719

Base Locator 257-1824

Cottages At K-Bay 254-2806

Early Childhood Education 257-7430

Family Member Employment Assistance Program 257-7790

Joint Education Center 257-2158

Medical Clinic 257-3365

Military Information 449-7110

New Parent Support 257-8803

The Lodge At Kaneohe Bay 254-2806

Veterinary Treatment Facility 257-3643

Youth Activities 254-7610

Population/Major Units Assigned

Photo courtesy U.S. Marine Corps

Over 25,000 Marines, sailors, family members and civilian employees live and work on MCBH.

Major Units at MCBH are the 3rd Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, and the MC Air Facility.

Temporary Lodging

Hale Koa Hotel.

Some military lodging facilities and most major commercial hotels in Hawaii do not accept pets. For pet owners, there is the MWR Pet Kennel (or MWR kennel) facility located near the airport. For more information, contact at 808-368-3456.

The Hale Koa Hotel is a military hotel. However, itÂ’s classified as a recreational facility and will charge a daily room tax. Contact the TLA Office on MCBH at 808-257-2705/0977 for further guidance if interested in staying at this facility.

Single Service Members or Geographic Bachelors (Geo-Bachelors) Unaccompanied Personnel Housing (UPH) Division (formerly Bachelor Housing) operates both the permanent and transient housing aboard Marine Corps Base Hawaii. The Division has two sections: the Permanent UPH Section (servicing those personnel permanently assigned to MCBH) and the Transient UPH Section (servicing those personnel visiting the Base).

For E5 and below, the unit/command is responsible for assigning Bachelor Enlisted Quarters (BEQ). For E6-E9, the UPH at 808-257-4170 or DSN 315-457-4170 is responsible for temporary/permanent lodging assistance. For Officers, Bachelor Officers Quarters (BOQ) at 808-257-2409 or DSN 315-457-2409 is responsible for temporary/permanent lodging assistance.

NOTE: Service members noted above are required to check in to their respective offices mentioned above soon after reporting into the unit/command. Failure to comply may result in the forfeiture of Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA), an entitlement to cover temporary lodging and meals.

For service Members with Family there is the Lodge at Kaneohe Bay. The Lodge on Kaneohe Bay is the designated as government lodging facility located on MCBH for service members assigned to Kaneohe Bay.

For members assigned to MCBH Kaneohe Bay, it is recommended to use The Lodge on Kaneohe Bay, if available. The Lodge has limited pet-friendly rooms available. If there are no rooms available, a Statement of Non-Availability is issued by the lodge which allows the patron to use an off-base hotel/lodging facility that will be reimbursed by the government.

When filing a reimbursement claim for lodging, without the Statement of Non-Availability at that time, any lodging expense incurred will be reimbursed at the government lodging facility rate.Reimbursement for lodging is handled by the TLA Office (for all Marines) and command TLA Reps or PSD Pearl Harbor (for Navy).

You may choose to use an off-base lodging facility without checking the government lodge for availability.


Officer housing. Photo courtesy U.S. Marine Coprs

The Family Housing Department and Forest City, the Public Private Venture (PPV) partner, provides housing to families of Marines assigned to duty on Oahu and members of other services assigned to Marine Corps Base Hawaii, Kaneohe Bay and Marine Forces Pacific at Camp H. M. Smith.

MCB Hawaii Housing Office is located in Building 455, at the corner of Lawrence and Pancoast Street. Hours of operation are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday from 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., Wednesday from 7:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.

Active duty military personnel may be placed on a housing waiting list in advance, once a r DD1746 (Application for Assignment to Housing) and a copy of your PCS orders are received. However, you will not be offered a house prior to physically arriving and officially reporting for duty.

Please fill out this application, DD1746), then print the application and fax it to 808-257-1259 or DSN 315-457-1259, or you may mail the application. If you have an email address, please include this information in your application. Once your application has been sent, please allow 10 working days for information to be added to our database.

Upon arrival, all service members accompanied by command-sponsored dependents must report to the Family Housing Office located on Marine Corps Base Hawaii, Kaneohe Bay. You can accept and move into housing up to 14 days before your family arrives.

If you have family members (dependents) enrolled in the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) or with special physical challenges, please notify us before you move from your current duty station. Please call MCBH Kaneohe Bay Housing Office at DSN 315-457-1257 or 808-257-1257.

Private rental housing, Section 802, is available on Base at MCBH Kaneohe Bay. These units are available to all active duty service members eligible for family housing. For more information please call 808-257-1257 ext 206, FAX 808-257-1259.

Single Service Member Housing for E5 and below, the unit/command is responsible for assigning Bachelor Enlisted Quarters (BEQ). For E6-E9, the Unaccompanied Personnel Housing (UPH) at 808-257-4170 or DSN 315-457-4170 is responsible for temporary/permanent lodging assistance.

For Officers, Bachelor Officers Quarters (BOQ) at 808-257-2409 or DSN 315-457-2409 is responsible for temporary/permanent lodging assistance.


Sgt. Lancelot Muschamp, saxophone player, serenades students. Photo courtesy U.S Marine Corps; photo by Lance Cpl. Vanessa M. American Horse


If your child will begin school for the first time in Hawaii,this information is very important to you. The Hawaii School Attendance Law requires all children entering school in the state for the first time to meet certain health requirements ments before they can be admitted to school. "School" is defined as any kindergarten, elementary, or secondary school--public or private--and includes all day care facilities, Head Start Program, preschools, and special education centers for children.

If you have a child who will be entering school for the first time in the state, you must provide to the school:

1. Tuberculin test or chest X-ray results: All students must show evidence of a negative TB test or X-ray before they can be admitted to school. Test results must be completed and documented within one year prior to entry into Hawaii's school system. X-ray required if skin test is positive. Only PPD tests (not tine) are acceptable.

2. Complete health record to prove that a physical examination, a negative tuberculin test, and all required immunizations have been completed.


In lieu of a completed health record, a signed statement from your doctor within seven (7) days of starting school to prove that your child is in the process of completing the health requirements. In this case, the law allows your child 90 days to complete all the health requirements with the exception of a tuberculin test.

If all health requirements are not met within the specified time limits, your child will be withdrawn from school.

There are no DODDS Schools in Hawaii. MCBH School Liaison (SL) Office is available to assist relocating families with school age children with their educational resources at 808-257-8826.

While over 15,000 military dependents attend Hawaii's public schools, a significant though undetermined number of military dependents are enrolled in alternative schooling. If you decide to homeschool, please familiarize yourself with the Hawai'i State Board of Education's procedures for Homeschooling.

Child Care

Child Development Center. Photo courtesy U.S Marine Corps

All DoD military is eligible for the Children, Youth and Teen Program (CYTP) with priority forwarded to single or duel active duty families. Vacancies are filled by CYTP Resource and Referral from a waiting list, which varies in length by age and the type of program.

Programs include; Full Day, Part Day, Preschool, School Age, Hourly Care and Special Needs Care.

CYTP is located in building 5082. For more information, contact them at 808-257-7430, Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

The hourly child care is available, by reservation, from 8:00 am until 2:30 pm, Monday - Friday for children six (6) weeks of age and older. Walk-ins are accepted on a space available basis only. Call 808-257-8354 for registration information and reservations.

The Child Development Center (CDC) is located in Building 6111 next to the Marine Corps Exchange. The CDC offers full day and part day care for children six (6) weeks through Kindergarten age. For information on all programs, contact CYTP Resource and Referral at 808-1388/1593, Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Free Deployment Child Care (DCC) is available to deployed Marines and Sailors supporting of OFI/OEF and the Global War on Terrorism Operations for more than 30 days. The DCC relief is for children ages 6 weeks old to 10 years, and is provided for up to 10 hours per month, per child. The care is made available through many of the certified Family Child Care (FCC) providers and at the Hourly Child Development Center (HCDC). For more information, contact the CYPT Resource and Referral at 808-257-7430.

The Teen Youth Center now coined as, "The Club," membership continues to climb. The Club is not a day care. Members are not forced to remain at the facility for any length of time--the kids are free to come and go as they please.The Club offers base pre-teens and teenagers 10 - 18, a safe, positive atmosphere to hang out.

Medical Care

Ariel view of Tripler Army Medical Center. Photo courtesy U.S. Marine Corps

Tripler Army Medical Center (TAMC) is the largest medical facility in the Pacific and operates a 550-bed facility. It provides inpatient and outpatient facilities to active duty military personnel and their family members in Hawaii. Retirees and VA beneficiaries are treated at TAMC as well.

Marine Corps Base Hawaii, Kaneohe Bay has a medical and dental clinic located aboard the base.

Clinic patients are often referred to TAMC when certain medical specialties are unavailable at Kaneohe Bay. TAMC is approximately a 30 minute drive from Kaneohe Bay and a 10 minute drive from Camp Smith.