Nutritionist Interview Questions
Clinical, Communication and Interpersonal Topics
While dieticians work mainly with people who are sick, nutritionists mostly work with healthy people, using nutrition as a method of prevention and preserving health. Here is a list of frequently asked interview questions for nutritionists.
- Are there any particular populations you are most interested in advising?
- What are two nutrition related medical problems associated with children under 5 in WIC?
- How would you create a menu for a vegetarian on a high protein high calorie diet who doesn't consume dairy products?
- Describe a daily diet for a patient with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Describe a daily diet for a patient with Type 2 Diabetes.
- How would you council the parents of a child recently diagnosed with diabetes?
- Are you comfortable working with a geriatric population?
- What kind of menu would you put together for a “Rainbow Foods Week” at an elementary school?
- What nutrition advice would you give to a middle aged man with AIDS?
- Describe the diet you would proscribe for a patient looking to lose weight.
- Describe the diet you would proscribe for a patient who needed to gain weight.
- Do you have experience with home care?
- Do you have transportation for home visits?
- Have you had any experience with the Department of Health or The Joint Commission surveys?
- How do you stay up to date on the changing science of nutrition?
- What kind of diet would you recommend for a client who needs to gain weight?
- How to teach clients to keep a food diary?
- Describe a time you mentored someone outside of addressing their nutrition.
- Share an experience you had in dealing with a difficult client and how you handled the situation.
- What is your go-to method for counseling individuals and groups on good nutrition and eating habits?
- What type of criticism are you most receptive to?
- Have you ever disagreed with a physician?
- How do you act in a group?
- Do you prefer to work with others or independently?
- How comfortable are you coordinating dietary recommendations with a physician?
- Describe how you turned a negative customer experience into a more positive one.
- Describe your counseling style.
- How competent are you at writing, giving presentations and handling professional conversations?
- How often do you work with physicians or social workers?
- How would you deal with an angry client?
- What do you do with a dissatisfied customer?
- Describe your strengths as an educator.
- What are your two highest priorities?
- Who have you learned the most from your work experience?
- What are your strongest attributes?
- Name a time when you exemplified or witnessed dignity in the workplace.
- How do you feel about people who are in welfare programs?
- What areas of medical nutrition therapy are you most interested in?
General Job Interview Questions
In addition to job specific interview questions, you will also be asked more general questions about your employment history, education, strengths, weaknesses, achievements, goals and plans.
Here's a list of the most common interview questions and examples of answers.