Getting control of your budget is the first step in taking control of your finances. If you are not tracking your spending, and spending less than you earn, then you cannot achieve your other financial goals. If you are struggling with sticking a to a budget or if you have never had a budget, learn some basic goals and practices that will make budgeting easier and more effective. A budget will make it easier to change your financial habits, because it will help you recognize the things you need to change. As you set goals in other areas of your life be sure that you budget for them too.This will prevent you from blowing your budget with your resolutions.
Tips as You Set Your Budgeting Goals
- As you work on your budget, be sure that you are including all of your expenses, including paying off debt and building an emergency fund.
- It helps to start with what you usually spend and then find ways to cut back on your spending. If you randomly choose to budget $400 for groceries, but usually spend $800, you may have a hard time sticking to your budget.
- Setting up a budget that works may take a few months to complete.
Getting out of debt is the second step in changing your financial picture. It is important to realize that if you are going into debt, any money that you save is negated by the amount that you go into debt. You should make it your first priority to get out of debt and then focus on your savings goals. Learn what you can do to set up a debt payment plan that will speed up the process, and ways that you can find more money to apply to your debt. As you reach milestones on getting out of debt, you may want to reward yourself to help you stay motivated throughout the year.
Tips as You Set Your Getting Out of Debt Goals
- Start with an emergency fund. This will stop you from using a credit card to cover emergencies or unplanned expenses.
- Raise money through a yard sale or other means to knock out your smaller debts quickly.
- Consider taking on a second job or cutting back on your spending in order to find more money for your debt payment plan.
Saving and investing your money are important if you truly want to begin building wealth. You need to set savings goals that you can reach in a certain amount of time. You should be aware of what you are spending and saving. When you stop going into debt for your major purchases that means you need to save for them in advance. Additionally, you can save money to help build your wealth.
Tips for Your Savings Goals
- Give yourself a timeline and a purpose for your savings goals.
- Try mini savings challenges like a spending fast or saving extra money in a specific category for a month.
- Consider opening a savings account at a different bank to make it harder to access your savings.
Your retirement savings should be considered separately from your other savings goals. Your retirement savings are essential because it directly affects how comfortable you will be when you reach retirement. You may want to continue investing in retirement even if you are not out of debt. If you invest up to your employer’s match, then focus the rest of the income towards getting out debt you can do both things at the same time. Learn more about choosing the right retirement products for your situation.
Tips to Help You Save for Retirement
- Raise your contributions each time you get a raise. This way you will not miss the money.
- Work toward saving fifteen percent of your income for retirement. You can save in your 401(k) and in a IRA plan.
- Be sure your investments are well-balanced for your stage of life. They can be more aggressive when you are younger, but should be more conservative as you near retirement.
New Year's Resolutions: Financial Goals
Four Vital Areas to Focus Your Goals On
Any time that you want to change your financial picture, you need to start by setting financial goals. Many people look at the New Year as a good time to begin making changes in your life and creating new financial habits. In order for your changes and goals to be successful, you should set goals with small attainable steps or short-term goals that will help you to achieve the goals that you are setting. A good support system will help you reach your financial resolutions. It's also important to take time throughout the year to monitor your progress towards reaching your goals. As you plan for the new year, there are four areas that you should consider when looking at your financial picture.