National General Insurance Company—formerly GMAC Insurance—was founded in 1939. Based in North Carolina, it has been in business for over 60 years and is one of the largest auto insurers in the U.S. Although best known for its auto insurance, it also offers other insurance products, such as personal and business insurance.
National General Insurance sells its products through over 10,000 independent agents and brokers across the U.S.
- National General Insurance Company was founded as GMAC Insurance in 1939; it is one of the largest auto insurers in the U.S.
- It has a financial strength rating of "A-" (excellent) from A.M. Best and an "A+" rating with the BBB.
- National General offers many products, including auto, homeowners, renters, RV, commercial, and motorcycle insurance.
- The insurer offers services and perks, including 24-hour claims services, a wide range of policy options, and attractive discounts.
National General has property and casualty gross written premiums of $1,316.9 million, an increase of 5.9% over the prior year. Its accident and health gross written premiums grew by 12.9% over the prior year to $162.6 million. Investment income also grew to $33.5 million, compared to $31 million the year before. National General holds a 1.05% market share in the U.S. auto insurance market with $2,236,697 in direct written premiums, placing it at 17th out of 25 in U.S. auto insurers ranked by market share.
Financial Stability and Customer Service Ratings
GMAC Insurance is rated as “A-“ Excellent financial strength rating from the A.M. Best insurance rating organization. But the firm's name was changed in July 2013.
National General has an "A+" rating with the Better Business Bureau. The company received 4.49 out of 5 stars based on 344 reviews.
In customer service ratings, J.D. Power & Associates ranked National General Insurance Company (while still called GMAC Insurance) with a 2 out of 5 in purchase experience. It was also ranked a 3 out of 5 in claims satisfaction and overall customer satisfaction. There are no current ratings for National General with J.D. Power & Associates.
Insurance products available through National General include:
- Auto insurance
- Homeowners insurance
- Renters insurance
- Condo insurance
- Flood insurance (offered through the National Flood Insurance Program)
- Umbrella coverage
- Earthquake insurance
- RV insurance
- Commercial vehicle insurance
- Roadside assistance (offered through GM Motor Club)
- Motorcycle insurance
- Mexico insurance (available for auto, RV, and motorcycles; complies with all Mexican legal requirements)
- Collector/classic car insurance
- Health insurance (provided through VelaPoint; customers can receive quotes here from different health insurance providers)
Auto Policy Options
- Bodily injury and property damage liability
- Medical payments
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist
- Personal injury protection
- Guaranteed repairs: Collision repairs have a lifetime guarantee when repaired at an approved Gold Medal Repair Shop.
- Guaranteed Claims Service Satisfaction: A deductible waiver is available for customers who are dissatisfied with claims service handling. This is the case in all states except Texas.
- SmartValet: This service picks up your damaged vehicle and delivers you a rental car after you have reported a claim. National General will also bring your repaired car directly to you and return the rental vehicle. This service is available to policyholders who carry the rental reimbursement option with their auto policy.
- GMAC discounts: Available to customers who drive GM vehicles or have a GMAC mortgage or auto financing. It is also available to those who have an OnStar subscription.
- Paid-in-full discount: Available to auto insurance customers who pay full premium at the beginning of the policy period.
- Multi-vehicle discount: Available to auto insurance customers with more than one vehicle insured through National General Insurance.
- Safe-driver discount
- Low mileage discount
- GM Family First: Available for active and retired employees of GM, GMAC, and any subsidiaries as well as their extended family members.
The company's website gives a full list of all coverage and policy options available to insurance customers as well as an overview of policy discounts offered. You can also get driving tips for teens and older drivers. You can receive a quote on the website, find an agent, or service your policy. Policyholders have online access to policy information and may make payments online or by phone. The learning center provides resources on insurance basics, home, vehicle, and commercial vehicle insurance.
For claims services, policyholders may file a claim online. Or, they can call a dedicated claims number and speak to a claims representative. There is also a free claims app to use with smartphones, which allows instant access to claims services.
National General Motor Club
National General Motor Club is available to all National General auto customers. The plan is for eligible members driving any car. Options start at $59 per month; it also includes 24/7 roadside assistance. It includes discounts for entertainment, dining, and retail stores through its PerksConnect partnership. Free maps are included as well as a personalized trip-routing package based on your destination, departure and arrival dates, and preferred route. You receive your trip kit by mail; it will arrive printed, bound and trip-ready. Other eligible family members can also receive benefits.
There are three options to choose from: Elite, Standard, and Basic. The Elite plan offers some nice extra coverage options. This includes trip interruption insurance; collision; mechanical failure; legal defense; auto theft deterrent award; arrest bond; hospital emergency room bond; and up to $500 in personal check guarantee for vehicle repairs. The family elite plan has a $119 yearly membership fee.
Pros & Cons
National General Insurance offers 24-hour claims services, available 365 days a year. There is also a wide range of policy options and attractive discounts. The National General Motor Club also is a nice perk for auto customers. National General provides a lifetime guarantee on its collision repairs made through any of its Gold Medal Repair Shops.
To learn more about National General Insurance products or to receive a quote, visit the National General Insurance website. Or, you can call 800-462-2123. You can also use the agent locator if you wish to discuss insurance options with a local agent.