National General Insurance Company Review
National General Insurance Company was formerly GMAC Insurance. GMAC Insurance was founded in 1939. The company has been in business for over 60 years and is one of the largest automobile insurers in the United States. The company headquarters is located in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Although best known for its auto insurance, National General Insurance Company offers several other insurance products including personal and business insurance.
National General Insurance operates and sells its insurance products through over 10,000 independent agents and brokers across the United States.
Financial Stability and Customer Service Ratings
GMAC Insurance was rated as “A-“ Excellent financial strength rating from A.M. Best insurance rating organization. However, the name was changed in July of 2013. Current financial strength ratings are an "A-" Excellent rating from A.M. Best.
National General Insurance Company has an "A+" rating with the Better Business Bureau. The company received 3.71 out of 5 stars based on 42 customer reviews.
In the customer services ratings, J.D. Power & Associates ranked National General Insurance Company (while still GMAC Insurance) with a 2 out of 5 in the category of purchase experience and with a 3 out of 5 in the category of claims satisfaction and overall customer satisfaction. There are no current ratings for National General Insurance Company with J.D.
Power & Associates.
Insurance Products and Discounts
Insurance Products available through National General Insurance Company include:
- Auto Insurance
- Homeowners Insurance
- Renters Insurance
- Condo Insurance
- Flood Insurance (Offered through the National Flood Insurance Program)
- Umbrella Coverage
- Earthquake Insurance
- RV Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance
- Roadside Assistance (Offered through GM Motor Club)
- Motorcycle Insurance
- Mexico Insurance (available for auto, RV and motorcycles; complies with all Mexican law requirements)
- Collector/Classic Car Insurance
- Health Insurance (Provided through VelaPoint – Customers can receive quotes here from different health insurance providers)
With the auto insurance policy, policy options include:
- Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability
- Medical Payments
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist
- Personal Injury Protection
Some policy features insurance customers of National General Insurance Company may enjoy include:
- Guaranteed Repairs: Collision repairs have a lifetime guarantee when repaired at an approved Gold Medal Repair Shop.
- Guaranteed Claims Service Satisfaction: In all states except for Texas, a deductible waiver is available for customers who are dissatisfied with claims service handling.
- SmartValet: This service picks up your damaged vehicle and delivers you a rental car after you have reported a claim. National General will also bring your repaired car directly to you and return the rental vehicle. This service is available to policy holders who carry the rental reimbursement option with their auto policy.
Auto Discounts Available Include
- GMAC Discounts: Available to customers who drive GM vehicles, have a GMAC mortgage or auto financing. Also available for those who have an OnStar subscription.
- Paid-in-Full Discount: Available to auto insurance customers who pay full premium at the beginning of the policy period.
- Multi-Vehicle Discount: Available to auto insurance customers with more than one vehicle insured through National General Insurance.
- Safe-Driver Discount
- Low Mileage Discount
- GM Family First: Available for active and retired employees of GM, GMAC and any subsidiaries as well as their extended family members.
The company website gives a full description of all coverage and policy options available to insurance customers as well as an overview of policy discounts offered. You can also receive tips for driving tips for teens and older drivers.
You can receive a quote on the website, find an agent or service your policy. Policy holders have online access to policy information and may make payments online or by telephone. The learning center contains resources on insurance basics, vehicle, home and commercial vehicle insurance.
For claims services, policy holders may file a claim online or call a dedicated claims number and speak to a claims representative. There is also a free claims app to us with cell phones which allows instant access to claims services.
National General Insurance offers 24/hour claims services available 365 days a year. There is also a wide range of policy options and attractive discounts.
Although National General Insurance Company writes across the U.S., it was difficult to locate a listing of states where coverage is offered on the company website. J.D. Power & Associate customer satisfaction ratings are only average.
To learn more about National General Insurance products or to receive a quote, you may visit the National General Insurance website or call 1-800-462-2123. You can also use the agent locator if you wish to find a local agent where you can discuss insurance coverage options.