Moving Your Business? Use This Checklist

Address Changes, Name Changes, Moving to a Home Business, Moving Expenses

Is your business moving? Maybe you are anticipating a company move to expand, maybe it's a corporate relocation, or maybe you are moving your office back home to save money. Whatever the reason, be sure to check out these articles to make sure you notify all federal, state, and local agencies and make the changes you need to your business address, name, and company documents.

You may need to amend business legal documents, change your registered agent, or even change your business name. 

Notifications for Business Moves

Moving a Business
Moving a Business. Portra Images/Getty Images

Before you complete your business move, be sure to contact federal, state, and local agencies to notify them of the move. The IRS wants you to fill out a change of address form, and there are state and local notifications you must complete. Here's a list. More

Moving Your Business to Your Home

If you have an existing business and you want to move that business to your home, here are some tax and legal matters you should consider.

Changing Your Business Name Because of a Move

If your business name includes a place name (like "Iowa Shipping and Supply"), you will need to change your business name along with other changes. Changing a business name can be difficult, so follow along with this article. And don't forget to change all the documents with your business name on them. More

Amending Company Legal Documents For a Business Move

A business move may require you to change company legal documents. For example, it may require a change in the Articles of Incorporation for a corporation or the Articles of Organization for an LLC, or a partnership agreement. This article describes the steps you must take (in most states) to amend your corporation's articles of incorporation. The same general process works for articles of organization (for an LLC). More

Deducting Business Move Expenses

Costs associated with the moving of your business are tax deductible. This includes costs to move equipment, computers, supplies, inventory, and miscellaneous. Your personal move expenses may be deductible if they are directly related to the moving of the business location, and if they meet the IRS time and distance tests. More

State-to-State Business Moves and Business Types

Since LLC's, partnerships and corporations are registered with a specific state, what happens to that registration if your business moves to another state? Your options in this circumstance are discussed in this article. Be sure to discuss your state-to-state business move with both your attorney and your tax advisor to make sure you are considering all the tax and legal issues in the move. More

Don't Forget to Notify Your Registered Agent

 Your registered agent is the person or company that accepts legal documents on your behalf. If you change your business address, you will need to notify this person of the change. You may need to have the registered agent change the registered address on business legal documents if you change states.  More