Our editors independently research and recommend the best products and services. You can learn more about our independent review process and partners in our advertiser disclosure. We may receive commissions on purchases made from our chosen links.
MetLife is a longstanding company with over 150 years of experience in the insurance industry. Although it’s more well-known for its life insurance offerings, MetLife also offers car insurance nationwide with myriad coverages for custom-fit policies and a long list of discounts to save you money. However, its customer satisfaction lags behind competitors in many areas, and your mileage may vary when getting an online quote.
- Pros and Cons
- Company Overview
Many optional coverages allow you to customize your policy
Great variety of discounts, including one for mature drivers over age 50
Coverage well-suited for new cars, including loan/lease (gap) coverage and new car replacement
Enhanced car rental damage coverage is an unusual option
Mostly below-average J.D. Power rankings for customer experience
Online quote system won’t provide estimated quotes, so you may have to call an agent
You may have to provide your Social Security number to get an accurate quote
- Official Website www.metlife.com
- Insurance Offered Car, boat, RV, motorcycle, homeowners, renters, mobile home, dental, and pet
- Customer Service 24/7 customer service available by email at email@example.com or phone (800-422-4272)
- Year Founded 1868
In April 2021, Farmers completed its acquisition of MetLife Auto & Home. While the policies will remain as they are for now, additional changes are likely to be coming down the line. In the meantime, those interested in purchasing auto insurance through MetLife may also find our review of Farmers Car Insurance helpful.
MetLife Car Insurance Coverage
MetLife offers all the basic car insurance coverages you’d expect:
- Liability (bodily injury and physical damage you cause to others, required in most states)
- Personal injury protection
- Comprehensive (aka, “other-than-collision”)
- Medical payments
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist
The company’s basic car insurance policies also include:
- Rental car coverage: Extends your coverage to a car you rent
- Legal defense costs (covers legal fees in lawsuits and reimburses up to $200 per day in lost wages while you attend trials and hearings at MetLife’s request)
MetLife also offers plenty of other choices so you can create a tailored policy (offerings vary by state):
- Roadside assistance, towing, and labor coverage
- New car replacement: Pays to repair or replace a totaled new car, with no deduction for depreciation
- Lease/loan coverage: Pays off your loan if your car is a total loss
- Enhanced car rental damage coverage: Covers a rental agency’s fees and loss of use income while the rental car is repaired after an accident
- Major parts replacement: Replaces certain major car components with new ones, regardless of their condition at the time of the accident
- Glass repairs without a deductible
- Custom sound system equipment coverage
Despite MetLife’s wide variety of additional coverages, it doesn’t offer rideshare insurance. However, it does offer some unusual coverage, including major parts replacement and enhanced rental car damage coverage, as well as good coverage options for people who have recently bought new cars.
Factors That Affect Your Cost
In general, insurers offer unique rates depending upon individual factors, including your driving record, location, age, your vehicle and how you use it (business, personal only), typical mileage, credit-based insurance score, and other factors that can vary between U.S. states. The amount of insurance coverage you want to purchase also impacts your premium. We always recommend you collect quotes from multiple insurers to find the best coverage and rates for your situation.
MetLife Car Insurance Discounts
MetLife offers a variety of discounts that may help reduce your premiums, depending on your MetLife.
- Youth discounts: Good student (up to 15%)
- Safety discounts: Defensive driver course (up to 7%), deductible savings benefit (earn $50 for every claim-free year, up to $250), superior driver (up to 12% if all drivers in household have outstanding driving records), MetRewards (up to 20% for five continuous years without a claim or violation), and auto safety devices
- Loyalty discounts: Multi-policy (up to 10%), multi-car, and group affiliations (average of 15%)
- Payment discounts: Automated payments
- Other discounts: Mature driver (for drivers over age 50), and My Journey (telematics-based discount of up to 30%)
MetLife Car Insurance Availability
Metlife auto insurance is available in all 50 states. Like many insurance companies, MetLife uses your credit score to help determine how likely you are to file a claim, and your Social Security number to verify your information. You must provide either their Social Security number or consent to a credit check to get car insurance with MetLife.
How to Get a MetLife Car Insurance Quote
You can get a quote online or over the phone by dialing 855-265-4164. You’ll be asked for basic personal and vehicle information. You can get a quote without providing a Social Security number, but including it means your quote will be more accurate.
How to File a Claim with MetLife
It’s possible to file a claim at any time on MetLife’s mobile app, through your MetLife Auto & Home online account, or by calling 800-854-6011. You’ll need your policy number, details about the accident, and photos of the damage and insurance information for the other party or property involved, if possible. MetLife also asks you to get a police report. If you only had minor vehicle damage, you may be able to get an estimate and payment in just a few hours through the MetLife Auto & Home Choice Express app.
You don’t have to use repair shops within MetLife’s Concierge Auto Repair Experience (CARE) network, but doing so guarantees the parts and workmanship after a covered loss, for as long as you own the car.
MetLife Customer Service
|Study||How MetLife Fared|
|J.D. Power Auto Claims Satisfaction Study||#5 out of 24 insurers|
|J.D. Power Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study||#10 out of 12 in the Florida region
#11 out of 13 in the New England region
#7 out of 9 in the New York region
#17 out of 17 in the Southeast region
Middle of the pack in Mid-Atlantic region
|J.D. Power Insurance Shopping Study||#9 out of 12 insurers|
|J.D. Power Insurance Digital Experience Study||#5 out of 19 insurers|
MetLife only appeared in five out of 11 regions in J.D. Power’s 2020 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study, but when it did, it scored near or at the bottom—except in the Mid-Atlantic region, where it placed slightly below average. Its overall average score was 822, which is 11 points below the overall regional average of 833. This score shows that customers weren’t delighted with one or more aspects of Metlife’s billing process and policy information, policy offerings, claims, price, or interactions.
MetLife placed a respectable #5 out of 24 for overall customer satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2020 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study.
Digital Service and Shopping Experience
MetLife ranked within the top five on J.D. Power’s Insurance Digital Experience Study, particularly where digital service is concerned. However, we found MetLife’s online information about its auto policies to be scattered and unclear, with glitches and a clunky interface plaguing its online quote platform. This experience is more consistent with MetLife’s low ranking on J.D. Power’s Insurance Shopping Study, which reveals customers had a subpar purchasing experience. However, MetLife’s 24/7 customer service helped clarify our questions about coverages and discounts by phone.
MetLife received an “A” rating from AM Best, an independent rating agency specializing in assessing insurance companies’ financial strength. The grade rewards MetLife’s superior ability to meet ongoing insurance obligations, like claim reimbursements.
Other Insurance Provided by MetLife
Besides car insurance, MetLife also provides other individual insurance products for vehicles:
- RV and transport trailer insurance
- ATV and dirt bike insurance
- Motorcycle insurance
- Snowmobile insurance
- Golf cart and scooter insurance
- Boat insurance
MetLife also offers the following insurance types:
- Homeowners and renters insurance
- Life insurance
- Pet insurance
- Employer-based and independent health insurance
- Legal plans
Compare Other Car Insurance Reviews
Metlife car insurance policies may not be the best fit for everyone, so it’s essential to compare quotes to find an insurer that offers what you need at the price you want. Here are some other mid-sized insurers to consider:
- MetLife may be a good insurer for those seeking a large selection of coverage options that let you create a tailored policy.
- The wide variety of discounts is impressive and could help drivers save money.
- It’s a good option for people with new cars who want to take advantage of new car replacement and gap coverage.
- Enhanced rental car coverage is unusual, and may be an appealing option for people who travel or rent cars often.
- You may want to look at other insurers if you prioritize well-rated customer service and satisfaction.
The Balance strives to give consumers unbiased, comprehensive reviews of auto insurance providers. To ensure that our content helps you make the right insurance decision for your needs, we review each insurance provider’s coverage options, discounts, customer service and satisfaction, and financial stability.
MetLife. "Auto Insurance FAQs." Accessed Nov. 30, 2020.
MetLife. "Auto Insurance FAQs," select "Discounts, Rewards, & Rates." Accessed Nov. 30, 2020.
MetLife. "How To Submit a Vehicle Damage Claim." Accessed Nov. 30, 2020.
J.D. Power. “Auto Insurance Websites Surpass Agents in Importance to Customer Interaction, J.D. Power Finds.” Accessed Nov. 30, 2020.
J.D. Power. “Auto Insurance Claims Satisfaction Climbs to Record High as Carriers Refine Customer Experience During Pandemic, J.D. Power Finds.” Accessed Nov. 30, 2020.
J.D. Power. “Property & Casualty Insurers Raise Digital Games as COVID-19 Elevates Customer Expectations, J.D. Power Finds.” Accessed Nov. 30, 2020.
J.D. Power. “Direct-to-Consumer Auto Insurers Take Top Honors in Shopping Study as New Normal Arrives for P&C Industry, J.D. Power Finds.” Accessed Nov. 30, 2020.
BusinessWire. "AM Best Affirms Credit Ratings of MetLife, Inc. and Its Subsidiaries." Accessed Nov. 30, 2020.
MetLife. "Motorcycle, Boat & Recreational Vehicle Insurance." Accessed Nov. 30, 2020.
MetLife. "Insurance." Accessed Nov. 30, 2020.