Marine Corps Enlisted Job Descriptions
MOS 5512 -- Member, “The Commadant’s Own,” U.S. Marine Drum and Bugle Corps
Type of MOS : PMOS
Rank Range: MGySgt to Pvt
Job Description: Drum and Bugle Corps (DandB) members perform music or music-related duties in support of military ceremonies, official functions, community relations, Marine Corps recruiting, and Marine "esprit de corps." A secondary mission of the unit is to augment barracks security in contingency operations in the event of an emergency or combat environment.
After completion of recruit training and Marine Combat Training (MCT) , Marines report directly to the Commanding Officer, Marine Barracks, Washington, DC for duty with "The Commandant's Own," U.S. Marine Drum and Bugle Corps.
(1) Must be auditioned, interviewed and found musically or otherwise technically qualified by the Commanding Officer, U.S. Marine Drum and Bugle Corps. No additional education is required beyond that specified in existing Marine Corps enlistment requirements.
(2) Musicians must possess instrumental proficiency, on a level commensurate with the finest bands and drum and bugle corps in the country to include sightreading and short-term music preparation. Must meet Clnd maintain instrumental proficiency level on 4.0 scale.
(a) MSgt to GySgt -3.2 (Grade V Music)
(b) SSgt -3.1 (Grade V Music)
(c) Sgt -3.00 (Grade IV Music)
(d) Cpl to Pvt -2.85 (Grade IV Music)
(3) Must be capable of being assigned a security clearance with Category III White House access.
(1) MGySgt: Enlisted Director -Serves as senior enlisted Marine and principle enlisted director of the Drum and Bugle Corps. Evaluates technical proficiency of musicians, and implements musical protocol.
Must possess complete mastery of all ceremonial functions from concert conductor to ceremonial mace work as drum major. The enlisted director must possess a working knowledge of all personnel, general and operational administrative procedures in order to direct and supervise the administrative functions of the D and B.
(a) The drum major leads the DandB in concerts, parades and other official ceremonies. Instruct D and B personnel in drill manual and maneuver. The drum major possesses a working knowledge of personnel, general and operational administrative procedures in order to direct and supervise the administrative functions of the D and B.
(b) Principle Instructor performs duties within the brass or percussion section. Possess the requisite technical ability to arrange music for and conducted small ensembles in rehearsal and performance. Possess the instructional expertise to interpret, analyze, and transcribe music scores. The principle instructor ensures the highest level of instrumental technique, musical interpretation, and performance readiness.
(3) GySgt -Pvt: Performs a musical instrument in concerts, parades and other official ceremonies. In the grades of Gunnery Sergeant and Staff Sergeant, these musicians may be assigned as a section leader to supervise and train Marines within each section.
Members may also be assigned additional administrative duties as support staff.
Related Department of Labor Occupation Codes :
Musician, Instrumental 152.041-010.
Related Marine Corps Jobs:
(1) Musician, 5524.
(2) Enlisted Conductor, 5519.
(3) Drum Major, 5521.
(4) Small Ensemble Leader, 5522.
(5) Bandmaster, 5517.
Above information derived from MCBUL 1200, parts 2 and 3