Who Is This Credit Card Best For?
Diligently searches for the best products and delights in a good bargain See more cards
Looks for good quality at a fair price while buying for the household See more cards
Loves being the first to try something new See more cards
Frequently shops with a particular merchant and wants to be rewarded for their loyalty See more cards
Macy's Credit Card perks are limited to Macy’s discounts and promotions, and the card can’t be used at other stores, so it’s best for heavy Macy’s shoppers who want access to as many sales and brand loyalty perks as they can get. It’s also one of the few traditional department-store credit cards still available.
Those who can spend $500 per year on their Macy's Credit Card will benefit the most since they’ll qualify for Gold status with Macy’s and get bonus perks like free shipping at Macy’s, and 3% back in rewards.
Special cardholder discounts
Spend more, earn more
Relaxed credit qualification
Limited rewards program
- Special cardholder discounts: You may get 20% off all qualifying card purchases made the day you open your card, and the day after, up to a total of $100. Plus, you start automatically with “Silver” status in Macy’s Star Rewards program, which gives you access to perks and offers, special discounts, a birthday surprise, and more.
- Spend more, earn more: If you spend at least $500 upon receipt of the card, within seven days, you can qualify for Gold status through the end of the calendar year, which gives 3% back in rewards. If you spend more than $1,200, you’ll get 5% back in rewards
- Relaxed credit qualification: Since the Macy's Credit Card is a store credit card, it may be easier to qualify for than a traditional rewards credit card or the store’s other credit card—the Macy's American Express Card.
- High APR: This card charges an ongoing APR of 25.24% for purchases, which is fairly typical for retail cards. If you carry a balance with this card, interest costs will quickly outweigh any earned rewards.
- Spending requirements: While you can qualify for special discounts and promotions at Macy’s just by opening this card, you only get 3% back in rewards if you spend at least $500 or more in a calendar year. Most retail cards give between 3%-5% back with no required minimum spend.
- Limited rewards program: If you’re a loyal Macy’s customer, you may have no trouble spending enough each year to earn rewards. Just remember that these “rewards” are only good for more Macy’s merchandise, and you can’t redeem these rewards for anything else, which is typical for a retail card.
Anyone can enroll in the Macy’s Star rewards program to automatically attain the “Bronze” level, which gives 1% back in “Star Money” on purchases. Then, there are three earning tiers with the Macy’s Star Rewards program, where the credit card is concerned:
- Silver: Pay with your Macy’s card, spend between $1-$499 per year, and earn 2% back
- Gold: Pay with your Macy’s card, spend $500-$1,199 per year, and earn 3% back
- Platinum: Pay with your Macy’s card, spend more than $1,200 per year, earn 5% back
New cardholders start at Silver status. This can be upgraded to Gold or Platinum seven days after you’ve spent the amount corresponding to each level—and then stay at that level throughout the remainder of the calendar year, and the following year.
On an ongoing basis, Macy’s will look at your spending in the prior year to determine your level for the upcoming year.
If you spend enough on your card each year to earn 2% to 5% back in rewards, your Star Money rewards points are good for Macy’s purchases. The Star Rewards points accumulate in your account, but expire after 12 months.
Once you’ve earned 1,000 points, you’ll receive $10 in Macy’s “Star Money,” which is good for 30 days. You’ll use your Macy’s Credit Card to redeem Star Money at the till, over the phone, or online for Macy's merchandise, with a few exclusions.
How to Get the Most Out of This Card
You could pend just $1 on your new card within a calendar year to earn 2% (or more) back, depending on your spending.
If you’re considering buying a big-ticket item such as furniture, you could spend more than $500 in the first day or two to simultaneously take advantage of the 20% off (and max out the $100) upon card approval, and achieve Gold status.
As well, if you’re already a Macy’s fan, know that each tier comes with a few more benefits. Free shipping for Macy’s purchases (with no minimum) is offered at Gold and Platinum levels, and passes for 25% off are available at Gold, Platinum, and Silver status.
Also, make sure you’re paying your balance in full every month to avoid paying steep interest costs. If you carry a balance, the rewards you earn won’t even be close to worth it.
If you’re someone who needs flexibility in a rewards program, consider pairing this card with a general rewards or cash-back credit card to earn points redeemable for statement credits, gift cards, travel, merchandise, and more.
Department Stores National Bank—the bank that issues the Macy's Credit Card—is a subsidiary of Citibank.
Cardholders manage their accounts online through a Macy’s account rather than a dedicated credit card account management system. Automated customer service is available 24/7; person-to-person customer service is available during select hours. There’s also a Macy app you can use to track your Star Money progress.
Department Stores National Bank doesn’t have a mobile app to help consumers monitor their purchases or payments, nor do they offer any perks like a free credit score on account statements.
Department Stores National Bank does not offer many of the security features traditional, non-store credit card issuers offer, such as fraud alerts or credit report monitoring.
While the fees for this card are standard among store credit cards, watch out for the 25.24% interest rate you’ll pay if you carry a balance. It’s on the higher end of average interest rates for retail credit cards, but not unusual.