Who Is This Credit Card Best For?
Diligently searches for the best products and delights in a good bargain See more cards
Looks for good quality at a fair price while buying for the household See more cards
Loves being the first to try something new See more cards
Frequently shops with a particular merchant and wants to be rewarded for their loyalty See more cards
If you spend a lot at restaurants, grocery stores, and gas stations each year, you may earn a significant amount of rewards with this card. However, it’s important to understand you can only redeem your rewards for Macy’s “Star Money,” good for Macy’s merchandise. If you’re a frequent Macy’s shopper, on the other hand, you may love what this card has to offer.
High rewards earning rate on some non-Macy's purchases
Access to special Macy’s discounts and sales
Automatic “Silver” status with Macy’s Star Rewards
Rewards expire early
- High rewards-earning rate on everyday purchases: This card gives you 3% back at restaurants and 2% back at gas stations and supermarkets. These rewards rates are generous when you compare to other rewards credit cards with no annual fee.
- Access to special Macy’s discounts and sales: You may receive 20% off your Macy’s purchases on the day you apply for the card and the following day, up to a total savings of $100. You’ll also qualify for special members-only sales and perks.
- Automatic Silver status: Carrying the Macy’s American Express Credit Card gives you automatic Silver status with the Macy’s Star Rewards program, providing access to special sales, including 25% off “Star Passes” you can use any day you want.
- Rewards expire early: The rewards-earning structure is a little confusing and may take active management to avoid reward expiration—with some rewards certificates expiring in about a month.
- Spending requirements: While you can qualify for special discounts and promotions at Macy’s with this card, you’ll only get 3% back for Macy’s purchases if you spend at least $500 or more in a calendar year, at Gold status. Most retail cards give between 3%-5% back without requiring a minimum spend.
Earning Points & Rewards
The Macy’s American Express Credit Card gives you 3% back at restaurants, 2% back at gas stations and grocery stores, and 1% back on all other purchases. These rewards are issued as “points” in the Macy’s Star Rewards program.
Then there are three earning tiers for purchases at Macy’s:
- Silver: Spend between $1-$499 per year using your Macy’s American Express card, and earn 2% back in Star Rewards
- Gold: Spend between $500-$1,199 using your Macy’s American Express card, and earn 3% back in Star Rewards
- Platinum: Spend more than $1,200 per year with your Macy’s American Express card earn 5% back in Star Rewards
New cardholders start with Silver status, which is upgraded to Gold or Platinum seven days after you’ve spent the amount corresponding to each level. You then stay at that level throughout the remainder of the calendar year, and the following year.
Each tier comes with benefits. Free standard shipping for Macy’s purchases (with no minimum) is offered at Gold and Platinum levels, and passes for 25% off are available at Gold, Platinum, and Silver status.
You do not earn rewards if you use the card in concert with a digital wallet such as Apple Pay.
The rewards you earn are only good for Macy’s purchases, excluding gift cards, services, and fees.
The Star Rewards points accumulate in your account but expire if you don't make a qualifying purchase for 12 consecutive months. After you earn 1,000 points in the Star Rewards program, you’ll automatically receive $10 in Star Money that you can only redeem at Macy’s, whether in stores, online, or over the phone.
Unfortunately, Star Money is only good for 30 days, which is a fairly quick deadline. If you only use a portion of your Star Money, the remaining Star Money is good for another 30 days.
You can’t redeem Star Money using a virtual wallet or with self-checkout. As well, if you only use Star Money for a purchase, you can’t use any additional card-related discounts.
How to Get the Most Out of This Card
If you’re determined to rack up rewards good for purchases at Macy’s stores, use this card specifically for all your restaurant, gas station, and supermarket purchases.
Also weigh the pros and cons of spending at least $1,200 on Macy’s purchases each year so you can score Platinum status and earn 5% back in rewards when you shop at the retailer or $500 for free shipping and 3% back. At the very least, you could spend just $1 on your new card to retain silver status and earn 2% (or more) back, depending on your spending.
Consider pairing this card with another credit card that lets you earn more than 1% back on regular purchases and redeem those points for a broader selection of rewards.
The card also offers a handful of American Express cardholder perks:
- Lowest available airfares
- Sports, music, and event ticket presales
Department Stores National Bank—the bank that issues the Macy's Credit Card—is a subsidiary of Citibank.
Cardholders manage their accounts online through a Macy’s account rather than a dedicated credit card account management system. Automated customer service is available 24/7; person-to-person customer service is available during select hours. There’s also a Macy’s app you can use to track your Star Money progress.
Department Stores National Bank doesn’t have a mobile app to help consumers monitor their purchases or payments, nor do they offer any perks like a free credit score on account statements.
Department Stores National Bank does not offer many of the security features traditional, non-store credit card issuers offer, such as fraud alerts or credit report monitoring.
If you want a credit card to use outside the United States, be aware this card charges a 3% foreign transaction fee. Also, note the pricey interest rate you’ll pay if you don’t pay your credit card bill in full each month.