List of Vanguard Bond Funds and ETFs
Vanguard is the leader in the mutual fund business for a reason
Vanguard is one of the world’s pre-eminent providers of mutual funds and exchange-traded funds for a good reason. The company helped pioneer index investing and low-cost mutual funds. Founded in 1975, the Pennsylvania-based firm offers a full suite of no-load, low-fee products for investors.
For those considering an investment in bond index funds, Vanguard funds are one of the best choices out there.
The company is known for its low expense ratios, which have been shown to be the most important factor in long-term fund performance. It is especially true with respect to bond funds—more so than with stock funds—due to their lower expected returns, and it's even more important when a low-yield environment restricts bonds' total return potential.
Here's a list of Vanguard’s funds, along with their Morningstar rankings where applicable.
Vanguard Mutual Funds
- California Intermediate-Term Tax-Exempt VCAIX 4-star
- California Long-Term Tax-Exempt VCITX 3-star
- GNMA VFIIX 5-star
- High-Yield Corporate VWEHX 3-star
- High Yield Tax Exempt VWAHX 5-star
- Inflation-Protected Securities VIPSX 4-star
- Intermediate-Term Bond Index Admiral Shares VBILX 4-star
- Intermediate-Term Corporate Bond Index Admiral Shares VICSX 3-star
- Intermediate-Term Government Bond Index Admiral Shares VSIGX 5-star
- Intermediate-Term Investment-Grade VFICX 3-star
- Intermediate-Term Tax-Exempt VWITX 4-star
- Intermediate-Term Treasury VFITX 4-star
- Limited-Term Tax-Exempt VMLTX 3-star
- Long-Term Bond Index VBLTX 3-star
- Long-Term Corporate Bond Index Admiral Shares VLTCX 4-star
- Long-Term Government Bond Index Admiral Shares VLGSX 4-star
- Long-Term Investment-Grade VWESX 3-star
- Long-Term Tax-Exempt VWLTX 4-star
- Long-Term Treasury VUSTX 3-star
- Massachusetts Tax-Exempt VMATX 4-star
- Mortgage-Backed Securities Admiral Shares VMBSX 2-star
- New Jersey Long-Term Tax-Exempt VNJTX 4-star
- New York Long-Term Tax-Exempt VNYTX 4-star
- Ohio Long-Term Tax-Exempt VOHIX 5-star
- Pennsylvania Long-Term Tax-Exempt VPAIX 4-star
- Short-Term Bond Index Admiral Shares VBIRX 3-star
- Short-Term Government Bond Index Admiral Shares VSBSX 3-star
- Short-Term Federal VSGBX 4-star
- Short-Term Inflation-Protected Securities Admiral Shares VTAPX n/a
- Short-Term Investment-Grade VFSTX 4-star
- Short-Term Tax-Exempt VWSTX 2-star
- Short-Term Treasury VFISX 3-star
- Total Bond Market Index Admiral Shares VBTLX 3-star
Vanguard Exchange-Traded Funds
- Extended Duration Treasury EDV
- Intermediate-Term Bond BIV
- Intermediate-Term Government Bond VGIT
- Long-Term Bond BLV
- Long-Term Government Bond VGLT
- Mortgage-Backed Securities VMBS
- Short-Term Bond BSV
- Short-Term Government Bond VGSH
- Total Bond Market BND
A Word of Warning
Keep in mind that index funds—Vanguard's specialty—might not necessarily be the answer. Bond index funds represent a fairly narrow swath of the total global bond market, and they tend to have a high sensitivity to moves in prevailing yields.
Still, Vanguard is the leader in the mutual fund business for a reason. In an article titled, "Why Vanguard is a Role Model for the Fund Industry," Marketwatch's Chuck Jaffee writes: "At the risk of sounding like a commercial for the Valley Forge, Pa. based giant—which controls well over $3 trillion in assets worldwide—the question is, 'Why invest anywhere else?' Vanguard has earned its position as the fund industry’s big dog with a relentless focus on costs and common sense, and a dedication to reaching long-term success without obsessive interest in topping the market over the short run. 'Why not Vanguard?' is an appropriate test before buying a fund from any of the competition."
Disclaimer: The information on this site is provided for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as investment advice. Under no circumstances does this information represent a recommendation to buy or sell securities. Always talk to a financial and/or tax advisor before you invest.