Movies, Documentaries, and TV Shows About Stock Trading
If you enjoy movies, TV shows and documentaries about traders and trading, here's an extensive list to watch. The list is categorized into movies, documentaries, TV shows, and "Others."
Trader and Trading Movies
Movies about trading and traders. Some based more on facts and real events than others.
- Rogue Trader (1999): The story of the Nick Leeson, the trader who brought down Barings Bank by hiding trading losses.
- Wall Street (1987): The story of an eager young broker who convinces a mogul corporate raider to mentor him with problematic results.
- Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps (2010): The once-mogul now must find his way back to the top of the finance world after being imprisoned for insider trading.
- Boiler Room (2000): A "chop shop," where brokers sell fake or worthless stock to an unsuspecting public and make fortunes doing it.
- The Wolf of a Wall Street (2013): The mostly true story of Jordan Belfort, who began as a penny stock salesman on his way to creating a massive brokerage firm that was funded by defrauding investors.
- Margin Call (2011): When massive risk is discovered that could bring down an investment bank, the firm takes action to hopefully avoid catastrophe.
- The Pursuit of Happyness (2006): A man with no prospects gets a job as an intern stockbroker, and it changes his life for the better.
- Pi (1998): A man goes a little crazy trying to predict patterns in the stock market.
- Trading Places (1983): A comedic look at trading, and how a 'nobody' can rise in the ranks of finance.
- Dealers (1989): The wheeling and dealing lifestyle of the people on a London trading floor.
- The Bank (2001): A mathematician at a "greed is good" bank devises a way to predict stock moves.
Trader and Trading Documentaries
Documentaries about trading and traders, taking a look at actual events that have occurred.
- Cancel Crash (2012): A documentary about the 1987 stock market crash, from the perspective of the traders who were there, and the traders who stepped in to buy when no one else would.
- Floored: Into the Pit (2009): The life of traders in the dwindling Chicago trading pits.
- The Pit (2010): A series focused on the traders of New York Board of Trade.
- Inside Job (2010): Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature focusing on the 2008 financial crisis.
- Billion Dollar Day (1985): This documentary follows three currency traders from New York, London, and Hong Kong.
- Black Wednesday (1997): The crash of the British pound sterling in 1992.
- Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room (2005): The rise and fall of Enron, and the management and traders who caused it.
- The Ascent of Money (2008): The history of money and financial markets.
- Capitalism: A Love Story (2009): Examines how the quest for corporate profits overshadows doing what is right.
- The Midas Formula: Trillion Dollar Bet (1999): The rise and fall of Long Term Capital Management, a firm that bet on a financial equation to bring them riches.
- The Last Days of Lehman Brothers (2009): Docudrama on the events that transpired in the final days before Lehman failed.
- Trader (1987): A documentary about Paul Tudor Jones, founder of Tudor Investment Corporation. The documentary is out there, but hard to find.
- Mind Over Money (2010): Explores why economists failed to predict the 2008 financial crisis.
- Goldman Sachs: Power and Peril (2010): A look into the financial giant and its corporate culture.
- Too Big to Fail (2011): Docudrama on the 2008 financial crisis and fall of Lehman Brothers.
- Quants: The Alchemists of Wall Street (2010): The men and women crunching the numbers for financial and trading algorithms.
- Super Rich: The Greed Game (2008): How various people have made their fortunes.
- The Warning (2009): How one woman tried to sound the warning bell before the financial crisis hit, but no one listened.
Trader and Trading TV Shows
Shows about traders and trading. Some are based on reality, while others are fictitious and for entertainment purposes only.
- American Greed (2007 to current): A CNBC show featuring scams and con artists who bilk investors out of millions, often through trading schemes.
- Billions (2016): An HBO show where a US attorney and hedge fund king collide.
- Million Dollar Traders (2009): A short-lived reality show on the BBC that attempted to turn normal people into traders.
- Traders (1996-2000): A Canadian show taking you behind the scenes of a fictional investment bank and onto the trading floor.
- Wall Street Warriors: (2006-2009): Examines the lives and jobs of the people who make their money in the financial markets.
Other Trading and Trader Movies
This section includes foreign trading movies or documentaries, as well as shows that are only slightly related to trading and traders.
- Gold (2016): Based on a true story, this movie follows a gold prospector who takes a company public and is a booming success for a time, until the truth is revealed.
- A Good Year (2006): The movie starts out following a London trader before he heads off to deal with his uncle's estate.
- Capital (2012): French film about a European bank fighting a US hedge fund takeover.
- Limit Up (1989): A floor runner starts getting trading tips from an angel, or is it a devil?
- Other People's Money (1991): The story of a corporate raid.
- Owning Mahowny (2003): A bank employee embezzles millions to fuel a gambling addiction.
- Quicksilver (1986): A trader loses everything, becomes a bike messenger, but then returns to the markets.
- The Scam (2009): South Korean film about a person who loses everything, but then makes a fortune in the stock market. The fortune upsets a large scam in progress though and results in repercussions.
- Silver Bears (1978): A silver mine and Swiss bank are acquired by crooks.
- Stavisky (1974): French film on a financial consultant and embezzler.
- The Bonfire of the Vanities (1990): The lives and misdeeds of New Yorkers, including a Wall Street trader.
- Limitless (2011): A pill enhances a writer's mental abilities, and he uses those abilities to make money in the financial markets.
- Barbarians at the Gate (1993): Docudrama on the leveraged buyout of RJR Nabisco.
- Arbitrage (2012): A New York fund manager faces business and personal problems.
- Working Girl (1988): A secretary teams up with an investment banker to work on a big deal.
Final Word on Trading Movies
There are lots of trading movies, documentaries, and shows to watch. Hopefully, this list provides you with some titles you weren't aware of, giving you something else to watch. There are also loads of interesting financial documentaries available on various streaming sites.