List of Municipal Bond ETFs
Municipal Bond ETFs consist of “muni” bonds, also known as local government bonds. Local governments issue debt in order to raise capital for towns, cities, and counties to help with areas such as urban development, education, etc. In the case of municipal bond ETFs, they track indexes that consist of local government bond products.
So, if you’re looking for a municipal bond ETF, you’ve come to the right place.
This list is not only updated to have the most current bond ETFs but also will contain individual “clickable” spotlights on each muni bond ETF as I create them.
- CMF – iShares S&P California Municipal ETF
- CXA – SPDR Barclays Capital California Municipal ETF
- GMMB - Grail McDonnell Intermediate Municipal Bond ETF
- HYD – Market Vectors High Yield Municipal ETF
- HYMB - SPDR Nuveen S&P High Yield Municipal Bond ETF
- IBMJ - The iShares iBonds Dec 2021 AMT Free Muni Bond ETF
- IBMD - iShares iBonds Sep 2015 AMT Free Muni Bond ETF (Recently Closed)
- INY - SPDR Barclays Capital New York Municipal ETF
- ITM – Market Vectors Intermediate Municipal ETF
- IBMK - The iShares iBonds Dec 2022 AMT Free Muni Bond ETF
- MEAR - iShares Short Maturity Municipal Bond ETF
- MLN - Market Vectors Long Municipal ETF
- MUAA - iShares 2012 S&P AMT free Municipal Series ETF
- MUAB - iShares 2013 S&P AMT free Municipal Series ETF
- MUAC - iShares 2014 S&P AMT free Municipal Series ETF
- MUAD - iShares 2015 S&P AMT free Municipal Series ETF
- MUAE - iShares 2016 S&P AMT free Municipal Series ETF
- MUAF - iShares 2017 S&P AMT free Municipal Series ETF
- MUAG - iShares 2018 AMT Free Muni Bond ETF
- MUB – iShares S&P National Municipal ETF
- MUNI - PIMCO Intermediate Municipal Bond Strategy ETF
- NYF - iShares S&P New York Municipal ETF
- PRB – Market Vectors Pre-Refunded Municipal ETF
- PFEM - Power Shares Fundamental Emerging Markets Local Debt Portfolio
- PVI – Power Shares VRDO Tax-Free Weekly ETF
- PWZ – Power Shares Insured California Municipal ETF
- PZA - Power Shares Insured National Municipal ETF
- PZT - Power Shares Insured New York Municipal ETF
- RVNU - DB X Trackers Municipal Infrastructure Revenue Bond ETF
- SHM – SPDR Barclays Capital Short Term Municipal ETF
- SMB – Market Vectors Short Municipal ETF
- SMMU - Pimco Short-Term Municipal Bond Strategy Fund
- SUB – iShares S&P Short Term National Municipal ETF
- TFI - SPDR Barclays Capital Municipal ETF
- VRD - SPDR Nuveen S&P VRDO Municipal Bond ETF (recently closed)
- XMPT - Market Vectors CEF Municipal Income ETF
- ZROZ - PIMCO 25+ Year Zero Coupon U.S. Treasury Index Fund
So that should have you covered for any investing strategy you want to utilize with municipal bond exchange traded funds and notes. And check back often as I will update this list with new filings, launches and remove and funds that are delisted, although hopefully, that is not the case.
And as with any investment, a company stock, an ETF, Index or otherwise, please make sure you thoroughly research this exchange-traded fund or any financial asset before making any trades (long or short).
Conduct your due diligence, watch how these funds react to different market conditions, take a look under the hood and see what is in the funds. And if you have any questions or concerns, make sure you consult a stockbroker, a financial advisor, or another financial industry professional.
While ETFs have many advantages, they have many disadvantages as well (as does any investment). So it is very important to understand the investment vehicle before you trade it. But once you have a full understanding on these ETFs, you can consider adding either or both to your portfolio. And good luck with all of your trades!
Disclaimer: At the time of publication of this ETF list of muni bond ETFs and ETNs, I do not have any open positions in the above funds - Mark Kennedy