Liberty Mutual Auto Insurance Review
When you are looking for an auto insurance company, you need someone who offers a wide range of auto insurance services and products at the best possible price. You also want a company who knows the ins-and-outs of car insurance. Liberty Mutual is such a company with more than 100 years in the insurance industry.
As a Fortune 500 company and with assets of more than $100 billion, Liberty Mutual is listed as the third largest property and casualty insurance company in the United States. Its insurance products include auto, homeowners, workers’ compensation, commercial auto, and group disability insurance among others. There are over 50,000 people employed for Liberty Mutual Group worldwide at more than 900 locations. The U.S. operations serve 45 states and are headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts.
David H. Long is the CEO of Liberty Mutual Group, replacing the former CEO, Ted Kelly, in 2011.
Auto Insurance Products
- Medical Payments
- Personal Injury Protection
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist
- Roadside Assistance
The company also offers many features, benefits and discounts customers may find attractive when purchasing an auto policy:
- Accident Forgiveness – Your first accident will not increase your insurance premium (not available in CA or NC).
- New Car Replacement – If you total your car in the first year of ownership, you will be compensated for the replacement value for a brand new car. Your policy deductible still applies and leased autos are excluded. This option is not available in NC or WY.
- Better Car Replacement – This is an optional coverage which allows you to replace your car with one that is one year newer if the vehicle has less then 15,000 miles.
- Unlimited Rental – While most companies offer rental coverage, Liberty Mutual offers something a little different. You have unlimited rental coverage as long as your car is repaired at a Liberty Mutual-approved repair center.
- Multi-Policy Discount – This discount is available if you insure both your home and car with Liberty Mutual.
- Mechanical Parts Replacement – Mechanical parts replacement coverage means that no matter how old your car’s parts are, they are covered when you have an accident and your car is repaired at an approved repair shop.
- Car Windshield Repairs – The company can schedule windshield repair at your convenience as long as you have comprehensive or glass coverage. Someone can come out to your home, place of employment or another convenient location.
- Towing/Labor & Roadside Assistance – This is available with the towing/labor coverage and available 24 hours a day. With the towing/labor option, Liberty Mutual will pay the entire towing charge if your car is towed to the nearest repair facility approved by the company.
Liberty Mutual offers a variety of payment and billing options to meet your needs:
- Credit Card or Bank Account: You can pay online using a credit card and banking account information or pay by phone. Payment process in 1-2 business days.
- Automatic Payments: Set up automatic payments online using your credit card or bank account. These payments are processed in real-time.
- Online Banking: Have payments sent to Liberty Mutual from your bank account. Processing time is 1-2 days.
- Mail payments to: ATTN: Remittance Processing, 100 Liberty Way, Dover, NH 03821-7500. Processing time is 1-2 days upon receipt.
Financial Strength and Customer Service Ratings
A customer survey published by Insure.com shows that 86 percent of Liberty Mutual’s auto policyholders plan to renew their coverage. The customer service ratings for the company by Insure.com were positive overall with high ratings in the areas of price, service, and claims.
Here is how the major insurance rating organizations rate Liberty Mutual Group:
- A.M. Best Co. – “A” Excellent
- Moody’s – “A2” Good
- Standard & Poor’s – “A” Strong
Liberty Mutual Group has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau since 1931 and has an "A+" BBB rating.
- Affordable car insurance premiums
- Strong customer and claims service
- Attractive features & discounts
- Excellent financial ratings
- The accident forgiveness option is not available in the states of CA or NC.
- The new car replacement option is not available in NC or WY.
- There have been some complaints about the claims procedures, especially with difficulty in obtaining approval for car repairs.
- The company seems to be missing some major discounts offered by other carriers such as good student discounts and discounts for military personnel.
To learn more about Liberty Mutual Group’s insurance products or to receive a quote, you may visit the Liberty Mutual website, call customer service at 1-888-398-8924 or use the agent locator to find an agent in your area.