Humana Medicare Supplemental Insurance Policy

Going over the details together. Getty Images/Cecilie_Arcurs

Seniors have many things to worry about during retirement years but affordable healthcare shouldn’t have to be one of them. Regular Medicare benefits, (Parts A and B), also referred to as original Medicare, covers 80 percent of hospitalization and outpatient care costs, leaving you to pay the 20 percent. Often, this 20 percent you are left to pay can be a substantial amount if you have to have extended medical care.

This is where a Medicare supplemental insurance policy can help seniors have peace of mind when it comes to health care costs. Humana Health Insurance Company offers Medicare supplemental insurance policies that will help pay for medical care costs not covered by a regular Medicare plan. It provides several different Medicare supplemental policies to fit your own specific medical needs and financial situation.

About Humana

Humana Health Insurance Company is headquartered in Louisville, Kentucky. It is one of the largest health insurers in the United States and traces its beginnings back to 1961 when it began as a nursing home company. The company took on the name “Humana” in 1974. Humana provides health insurance products including individual health insurance, group health insurance and Medicare plans.

Humana has excellent financial strength ratings including an “A-“Excellent rating through A.M. Best insurance rating organization.

The Moody’s rating of Human is “Baa3” while the Fitch rating is “BBB-.” J.D. Power & Associates recognized Human with its “Highest Member Satisfaction among Commercial Health Plans in Texas.” award. The company also has an “A+” rating with the Better Business Bureau.

Plan Features and Benefits

Humana offers several Medicare supplemental insurance options including a plan to pay for prescription drugs through a partnership with Wal-Mart pharmacies and the Medicare Advantage plans.

Policy offerings will vary by state. Here are further details about each plan.

Plans A and B

  • Hospitalization pays Part A coinsurance plus 365 additional days when Medicare benefits end
  • Medical Expenses Part B coinsurance
  • Hospice care Part A coinsurance
  • Three free pints of blood if needed each year
  • Plan B also pays Medicare Part A deductible for hospitalization.

Plan C

  • Hospitalization pays Part A coinsurance plus 365 additional days when Medicare benefits end
  • Medical Expenses Part B coinsurance
  • Hospice care Part A coinsurance
  • Three free pints of blood if needed each year
  • Skilled nursing facility care
  • Medicare Part A deductible for hospitalization
  • Medicare Part B deductible for medical and outpatient hospital expenses
  • Medical emergency help when traveling abroad

Plan F

  • Hospitalization: Part A coinsurance plus 365 days coverage after Medicare benefits end
  • Medical Expenses: Part B coinsurance — 20 percent of Medicare-approved expenses or the copayments for hospital outpatient services
  • Hospice care Part A coinsurance
  • Skilled nursing facility care
  • Medicare Part A deductible for hospitalization
  • Medicare Part B deductible for medical and outpatient hospital expenses
  • Medical emergency help when traveling abroad
  • High deductible option for those seeking lower premiums (for 2014, you pay a deductible of $2,140 before the plan begins covering expenses)

Plan G

Plan G provides all the benefits of Plan F with the exception of the Part B deductible. This plan is for people who are willing to pay the Part B deductible on their own.

  • Hospitalization: Part A coinsurance plus 365 days coverage after Medicare coverage ends
  • Part B coinsurance —20 percent of Medicare-approved expenses or co-payments for outpatient hospital services.
  • Blood — first three pints free each year
  • Hospice Part A coinsurance
  • Skill nursing facility care
  • Medicare Part A deductible for hospitalization
  • 100 percent of Medicare Part B excess charges (the difference between what the provider charges and what Medicare will pay)
  • Emergency medical care when traveling abroad

    Plans K, L N

    Plans K, L and N have the same basic coverage options as the other Medicare supplement plans but offer options for lower monthly premiums. Less of the co-insurance and copayments are covered in exchange for a lower monthly premium.

    Contact Information

    You can visit the Humana website to learn more about its Medicare supplemental insurance policy and other insurance products. From the website, you can search for Medicare Advantage plans in your area.  Humana also has a 24/7 nurse support to assist with medical questions. There are many points of contact for Humana depending on whether you are a current customer or looking to buy a health insurance policy. You can find these contacts on the Humana contact us page.