It's not always easy to choose a health insurance company. You want one that is well established and has an excellent reputation within the insurance industry.
Humana Health Insurance Company is based in Louisville, Kentucky. It's one of the largest health insurers in the U.S. It provides insurance for millions of people, with annual revenues in the tens of billions.
You can buy a health insurance policy from Humana in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as Puerto Rico. The company sells individual insurance, Medicare plans, and group health insurance plans to businesses.
- Humana is one of the largest health insurance companies in the U.S.; it's available in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico.
- The insurer has received an award for “Highest Member Satisfaction Among Commercial Health Plans in Texas” from J.D. Power and Associates.
- Humana offers the option of contributing to a health savings account (HSA), which provides tax benefits.
- Humana provides traditional indemnity plans, a PPO option, and an HMO option. It also has supplemental options for Medicare.
In the beginning, Humana was not an insurance company at all. It was a nursing home company. It began in 1961; in 1974, it became known as “Humana.” The company was active in the field of healthcare research. It also contributed to Jarvick and DeVries’s artificial heart research. Even today, Humana maintains its interest in hospitals and healthcare research.
The company administers the TRICARE health insurance program for the U.S. military. It's also is a provider to the PGA and Champions golf tours. Humana has been a leader in insurance industry innovative technology as well, receiving the “Stevie Awards” for its mobile application, MyHumana Mobile. In 2011, it was the People’s Choice Winner in the category of “best new product or service of the year.”
United Healthcare tried unsuccessfully to acquire Humana in 1998, but the merger failed.
Financial Strength and Customer Satisfaction
Humana has also received several distinguished recognitions and awards. These include the Dorland Health Award for exceptional services in the Medicare Advantage category for customers over 55.
The company received a J.D. Power and Associates Award for “Highest Member Satisfaction Among Commercial Health Plans in Texas.” It received this same award for the states of North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia.
Health Insurance Options
With Humana health care insurance, you have the option of contributing to a health savings account (HSA). Through the HSA, you can save up money to apply to your medical deductible. There are also co-pay options with a preferred provider organization (PPO). There's a plan that pays 100% after you have met your deductible for the year. You can add extensions to your health insurance plan, including pharmacy, dental, or vision plans, to supplement your coverage.
Check the Humana website for further information regarding available supplement plans and restrictions to plans in certain states.
You generally have three options through Humana’s health insurance plans:
- HMOs: If you use an HMO, you will be limited to using healthcare providers and facilities within the provider network. There are a fairly large number of choices available. This is the least-expensive option for healthcare coverage through Humana.
- PPOs: With this option, you have a little more flexibility. You have the option of using an out-of-network provider, but your insurance will cover less of the costs. You will save money if you use the hospitals, clinics, and doctors within the network.
- Traditional Indemnity Plans: With a traditional indemnity healthcare plan, you have the freedom to choose a facility or doctor, but these plans are much more costly than HMO or PPO plans.
Employer Health Insurance Plans
For employers, Humana offers a high-deductible plan, which helps companies keep health insurance costs low for employees. Many employees benefit by using an HSA to save money toward any deductible requirements. It also allows them to enjoy lower premiums.
Humana does have a basic health insurance option that covers only hospitalization costs and basic healthcare expenses. It's called “Coverage First.” This is the low-cost health insurance option for those who need to stay within a budget. The “Point-of-Service” plan offers a choice of using either in-network or out-of-network providers.
Humana has also partnered with Walmart pharmacies to offer a preferred prescription drug plan (PDP). You can buy prescriptions through this plan for only $15 per month. This may be ideal for patients who must take regular prescription medications.
Company Contact Information
To find out more about Humana’s health insurance products, or to find a local agent, you can visit the Humana website. There are many points of contact for Humana, depending on whether you are a current customer or are looking to buy a health insurance policy.
You can find these contacts on the Humana Contact Us page.