01Download and Install
As of 2018, Android users must be using version 5.0 or later of its operating system, and iOS users must be using version 7.0 or later.
To install the app on your phone:
- Download the Google Pay app from Google Play or the iTunes App Store.
- After the app installs, open it and sign in with your Google account.
- Open the Google Pay app and follow the setup instructions. When you’re asked to, add a card. You may be asked to set up a screen lock on your Android device. Google Pay works with PIN, pattern, password, fingerprint, or retinae scanning screen locks. It won’t work with screen locks like Smart Unlock or Knock to Unlock.
- To make purchases in stores, make Google Pay the default payment app in your phone's settings.
02Add payment methods
You have the option to add multiple payment methods to the app. Using credit and debit cards through the app is the same as using the actual cards. If you receive rewards points for using certain cards, you'll still receive them if using the card through the app instead.
To add credit or debit cards:
- At the bottom of the app, tap "Add", then choose credit or debit card.
- Use the phone's camera to capture your card info or enter it manually. Credit cards cannot be used to send money on iOS devices.
- Choose an option to verify your payment method if requested.
- Find and enter the verification code.
To add a bank account:
- At the bottom, tap "Send," then choose how much you want to send and who to send it to.
- Tap "Send" again.
- Next to the payment method you want to use, tap "Change," then choose "Add bank account."
- Enter your bank account info, the save.
- Tap Save. You can instantly verify your account by signing into your bank account, or you can confirm the amount of a small deposit, which will take a couple of days.
03Pay in stores
Most major stores accept Google Pay. If they do, they'll usually have a sign on their door or at the cash register. This feature is available only for Android users.
Use the app to make payments at these stores:
- Make sure NFC is turned on in your phone's settings.
- Hold the back of your phone close to the screen for a few seconds.
- If prompted, enter the PIN for the payment account you are using.
Google Pay can be a useful way to send money to friends or family members or to request that they send you money. To do so:
- At the bottom right, tap "Send."
- At the bottom, tap "+Send" or "Request."
- Choose a contact.
- Enter the amount.
- Tap "Send."
- Confirm or change your payment method.
Google Pay limits how much money can be sent at any one time or within specific time frames. The limits are:
- Single transaction: Up to $10,000
- In 7 days: Up to $10,000 (Florida residents are limited to $3,000 every 24 hours.)
- For transactions of more than $2,500, the recipient will need to add a bank account to claim the money.
How to Set Up Google Pay for Android and iOS
Google Wallet now known as Google Pay
Previously known as Google Wallet, Google Pay is an app that allows Android and iOS users to send money to and receive money from friends and family electronically. Android users have the added ability to make purchases through Google sites such as Google Play and to make purchases in participating stores using payment accounts such as credit or debit cards that have been stored in the app.