How Much Office Space Do You Need?
A Guide to Help You Decide
Calculating how much office space your business needs is not an exact science. Your real estate agent will ask you what your requirements are in terms of how many square feet you will need. This will give him/her a relative measurement of which properties are in the ball-park and which ones are not. In addition to square footage, the number of permanent office and rooms required will also aid in an efficient office search.
The estimates provided below are average space requirements for each area listed. These estimates can be individually adjusted upward to provide a more spacious layout or can be adjusted downward to provide a more efficient use of office space.
How Can You Figure Out Your Office Space Needs?
Here is a list of items, considerations and a link to a useful tool to help you calculate how much office space you need.
Employees Requiring Offices
- President (400 sq. ft.)
- Vice Presidents (200 sq. ft.)
- Managers (150 sq. ft.)
Employees Requiring Cubicles
- Engineers (175 sq. ft.)
- Accountants (150 sq. ft.)
- Secretaries (125 sq. ft.)
- Customer Service Reps (125 sq. ft.)
- Programmers (125 sq. ft.)
Employees Open Area
- Data Entry (125 sq. ft.)
- Clerks (125 sq. ft.)
- Temporary Employees (100 sq. ft.)
Other Office Area Requirements
- File Room (200 sq. ft.)
- Storage Room or Library (200 sq. ft
- Mail Room (125 sq. ft.)
- Work Room (125 sq. ft.)
- Reception Area (100 sq. ft. + 10 sq. ft. per person waiting)
- Lunch/Break Room (75 sq. ft. + 25 sq. ft. per person seated)
- Conference Room (50 sq. ft + 25 sq. ft. per person seated)
- Other Specialty Areas (size varies depending upon usage)
Therefore, add 10% to 20% to the total square footage that you calculated to accommodate future growth. Remember, the additional expense of terminating a lease early and the cost of moving an office after only a short period of time will be more than offset by having this additional space in reserve waiting to be used.
Factor in Cost
You want to ask your real estate agent how much the space costs per square foot. This could help you determine your most important needs, and make sure the space you desire to move your business is also cost-effective.
- How to Estimate Store Front Leasing Costs
- Want to Know How to Do Space Planning for Your Office?
- How to Decide What Office Furniture You Need