Free Tax Preparation and Tax Problem Resolution Services

Find Out Where to Get Help With Your Taxes—for Free

Couple working on taxes together.

 kate_september2004/Getty Images

A variety of nonprofits, universities, and even local Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offices provide tax preparation assistance and tax problem resolution services to the public for free.

Free Tax Preparation Services

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program, or VITA, is a community of volunteers who provide tax preparation services for people generally earning $54,000 or less. VITA will help you prepare your tax return, and most will file your tax returns electronically. You can find a local VITA site by calling toll-free 1-800-906-9887. You can also find a list of some VITA locations on the Treasury Department's Web site. VITA is funded partly by grants from the IRS.

The Armed Forces Tax Council provides free tax preparation assistance for military personnel and is a part of the IRS-funded VITA program. Volunteers are specially trained in tax issues frequently encountered by people who work for the Air Force, Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and the Coast Guard. For people who want to prepare their own return, Military One Source provides free access to H&R Block At Home. You can learn more about tax services provided through Military OneSource. You can also speak to a tax adviser at no charge by calling the Military OneSource Tax Hotline at 1-800-730-3802.

Tax Counseling for the Elderly provides free tax preparation for people age 60 or older and, like the VITA program, is funded in part by grants from the IRS. You can find a Tax Counseling for the Elderly location by calling, toll-free, 1-888-227-7669.

Tax-Aide from AARP provides free tax preparation for people and are operated very similarly to the VITA and Tax Counseling for the Elderly. You can find a local Tax-Aide site by calling, toll-free, 1-888-687-2277 or by visiting

Before visiting one of these free tax preparation programs, you may want to call ahead to schedule an appointment.

Also, be sure to bring your tax documents with you, along with your Social Security card and a driver's license or another form of identification. The volunteers at these sites will ask you to fill out a two-page questionnaire called Form 13614-C, which you can download from the IRS website and complete ahead of time.

Free Tax Problem Resolution Services

If you need assistance in dealing with the IRS, setting up payment arrangements for an outstanding tax debt, dealing with an audit, or understanding letters you received from the IRS, you can seek free or low-cost assistance from the following programs.

Low-Income Taxpayer Clinics (LITC) provide free or low-cost assistance to taxpayers who need help resolving tax problems such as income tax audits and collection disputes over outstanding tax balances. They can also provide you with legal representation if you need to go to court to resolve your problems. The clinics also provide assistance to people whose primary language is not English.

Nonprofits, universities and law schools operate LITCs. They receive some funding from the IRS and are supervised by the National Taxpayer Advocate. The program is designed to help people and families with income that does not exceed 250 percent of federal poverty guidelines. There's a directory of tax clinics on the IRS website.

Taxpayer Assistance Centers at local IRS offices also provide free assistance in setting up payment plans, understanding letters from the IRS, and resolving tax problems.

The Taxpayer Advocate Service can help you resolve tax problems if you've been unable to resolve your problems by dealing directly with the IRS. The Taxpayer Advocate is an independent organization from the IRS and reports directly to Congress. You can call them toll-free at 1-877-777-4778.