Foresters Life Insurance Company Review
Foresters Life Insurance Company is not your typical life insurance provider, although it does provide several life insurance policy offerings. Foresters has operations in Canada, The United States and the United Kingdom providing life insurance, savings, retirement and investment products as well as member benefits. Foresters is the trade name for “The Independent Order of Foresters” and is headquartered in Toronto, Canada. It is an international fraternal benefit society which is governed by its members and has no shareholders.
It has been in business for 140 years. The Foresters family of companies has assets totaling over $12 billion.
The Foresters family of companies includes:
- Foresters Canada
- Foresters Life Insurance Company (Foresters Life)
- Foresters Financial Services, Inc.
- Foresters Investment Management Company, Inc.
- Foresters Life Insurance and Annuity Company
- Foresters Investor Services, Inc.
- Foresters Advisory Services, LLC
- Foresters Equity Services, Inc. (Foresters Equity)
- Foresters UK
- Forester Life limited (Forester Life)
- The Children’s Mutual (TCM)
Foresters has a long standing record of community involvement and charitable donations including its partnership with the American Red Cross and Ronald McDonald House Charities. It is also partners with KaBOOM!, a national non-profit organization focused on building community-focused playgrounds for children living in poverty. Since its partnership with KaBOOM! began in 2006, Foresters has donated over $10 million to this organization.
Financial Stability Ratings and Customer Service Ratings
Foresters has received the “A” Excellent rating with insurance rating organization A.M. Best for 14 consecutive years. This is proof of the company’s consistent record of financial stability. Foresters is a BBB accredited company and has an “A+“ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
The BBB file for Foresters was opened in 2008. The company has a total of 24 complaints. Of those 24 complaints, 4 were in advertising/sales issues, 6 were related to billing/collection issues, and 14 were problems with products or services. The company responded to all complaints and that status of all complaints is now "closed." The company's willingness to respond to and try to resolve complaints shows that it cares about the level of satisfaction its customers experience.
Foresters offers term life and universal life insurance. Optional riders are available to add coverage including accidental death, accidental disability income, children’s term insurance and more. Life insurance products available through Foresters include:
- Foresters Level Term Insurance: Term life insurance is temporary insurance for a specific time period generally offered in terms of years.
- Foresters Advantage Plus: A permanent life insurance plan with guaranteed premiums and death benefits. This policy accumulates cash value and there is a potential for dividends.
- Foresters SMART Universal Life: A universal life insurance policy that offers permanent coverage with flexible premium payments and long term growth potential.
- Foresters PlanRight: This is a whole life insurance plans that can be used to help cover final expenses.
- Foresters Prepared: An accidental death insurance plan providing coverage against accidental death until age 75.
Foresters provides many attractive membership benefits. The organization gives away 250 competitive scholarships worth $8,000 to members. Members can also receive discounts to sporting events, playgrounds and theme parks as well as receiving discounts on legal services. A terminal illness loan is also available to members. You can find out more about the benefits of membership by visiting MyForesters.com.
The Bottom Line
If you are looking for a company with a strong financial standing and a wide range of life insurance, final expense or accidental death coverage; Foresters may fit the bill. Members can enjoy additional benefits including access to grants and scholarships, free and discounted legal services in your area and terminal illness loans. If you need life insurance, it is a good option to consider when shopping for the best value on an insurance policy with all the added benefits of membership. Not all plans and insurance products are available in every state.
To find out about membership benefits, insurance products and services offered through Foresters, you can visit the Foresters website or call 1-800-828-1540. You may also email Foresters, Service@Foresters.com.