Review of First National Bank of Omaha American Express Card
A No-Fee Card with Some Great Perks
The First National of Omaha American Express has two credit cards with American Express. This one has no annual fee and may be the better long-term value of the two. It's important to note that American Express cards do have some pros and cons. On the plus side, they're highly respected cards that carry quite a few nice benefits. On the con side, American Express cards are only accepted at certain locations and are nowhere near as versatile as Visa or Mastercard.
This no-fee card lets you earn one point per dollar on all purchases. Previously this version of the card rewarded two points per dollar on gas and groceries, but that offer no longer appears on the card issuer's website. Once you accumulate 2,500 points, you can redeem for $25 in the form of a check, a statement credit, or a deposit to any bank in the country. You must call the bank to request your redemption.
There are no limits on how many rewards you can earn, but rebates do expire three years after you earn them. If you don't keep your account in good standing, not only do you forfeit the rewards you've earned you can also lose the ability to earn future rewards, too.
In addition to the rewards, there is a 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers during the first 12 months you have the card, and the balance transfer fee is a low 3% during that period, 5% after that.
First National Bank of Omaha is one of few banks that give cardholders free monthly access to their FICO scores.
Each month on your credit card statement, you'll see an updated version of your score.
The First National Bank of Omaha card offers a raft of benefits that may or may not be useful for you. Review them carefully, and compare them to other options you're considering.
- You can view your FICO® Credit Score each month online for the tree. Knowing your FICO® Credit Score can help you maintain or even improve your financial health.
- The card comes with a guarantee that you won’t be held responsible for fraudulent charges made with your card or account information.
- Amex Connect offers access to a range of offers for shopping, dining, presale ticket access to popular entertainment, sporting events and more.
- Auto Rental Insurance is included, at no additional cost, for damage due to collision or theft up to the actual cash value of most rental vehicles.
- Travel Accident Insurance is included, at no extra cost, when you charge your entire travel fare to your card.
- Purchase Protection means Amex will replace, repair, or reimburse you for eligible items of personal property up to $1,000 per claim for ninety (90) days from the date of purchase due to covered reasons.
- Extended Warranty offers exactly what the original U.S. warranty covers up to a maximum of one additional year. If covered damage or breakage occurs, the item will be repaired or replaced.
If you'd rather have a Visa card over American Express and want more rewards options, you might also be interested in First National's Maximum Rewards Platinum Edition Visa Card. You earn 1.5 points per dollar on your spending, and points can be redeemed for cash, gift cards, merchandise, and airline tickets.