Federal Tax Forms

Find tax forms for current and previous years

Businesswoman using laptop computer at desk
••• Jamie Grill / Iconica / Getty Images

Here are links to the most common tax forms needed to prepare your income tax returns. All tax forms are in the portable document format (PDF) and require Adobe Acrobat Reader. You can use Acrobat Reader to view the documents and print documents. Most of the IRS forms also allow you to type in your information and save a copy with your data to your computer.

The best IRS web resource by far is Publication 17, which covers information relevant to most tax situations. (Also available as a downloadable PDF document.)

1040EZ Series for Individuals

Taxpayers with income under $100,000 might qualify to use this simplified tax form.

1040A Series for Individuals

Most taxpayers are eligible to file this shorter tax form. Income under $100,000, can claim dependents, can use any filing status, and can claim some adjustments to income. This form is the best place to start for most people.

Schedules Related to Form 1040A:

1040 Series for Individuals

Form 1040, the "long form," covers all possible tax situations. Anyone at all can file this form. So if you're in doubt about which form to file, it's always a safe bet to stick to the 1040.

Schedules Related to Form 1040:

Other Supporting 1040 Forms:

Where to Find Prior Year Tax Forms

The IRS has an archive of tax forms, instructions, and publications. The archive is accessible at the Prior Year Products page on the IRS Web site.